View Poll Results: Have You Scratched Your Pre's Screen Already???

Voters
600. You may not vote on this poll
  • No, it's still perfect.

394 65.67%
  • Yes, minor (e.g. invisible during screen on)

100 16.67%
  • Yes, moderate (e.g. slight visibility during screen on)

89 14.83%
  • Yes, severe (e.g. can't bear with it anymore)

17 2.83%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    There's such a review at this site.
    None yet but I am nervous.
    Thats BS, i got a bunch of scratches now, i went out into the the bar scene had a few drinks and didnt bother to use the little pouch that came with the phone. I just put the phone into my chest pocket in my Polo Leather jacket to make a few calls and texts. The next day when I woke up I was looking at the phone and there were a bunch of little scratches all over the screen from that one night of drinking and not caring. Be advised that the phone does scratch easily, it suprises me that not many people on the forum have any scratches, everyone must be babying the hell out of the phone. I cant stand the scrathes now and im bout to return the phone and get anythere one and put the Zagg shield on this time around.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lito305 View Post
    dude it is almost impossible to scratch that screen !!!

my friend broke his pre in half in a fit of rage (he had insurance and got it replaced) so i decided to run some tests on the broken pre and i tested it with keys and a knife and it was almost impossible to get even a slight scratch on the screen
    Thats BS, i got a bunch of scratches now, i went out into the the bar scene had a few drinks and didnt bother to use the little pouch that came with the phone. I just put the phone into my chest pocket in my Polo Leather jacket to make a few calls and texts. The next day when I woke up I was looking at the phone and there were a bunch of little scratches all over the screen from that one night of drinking and not caring. Be advised that the phone does scratch easily, it suprises me that not many people on the forum have any scratches, everyone must be babying the hell out of the phone. I cant stand the scrathes now and im bout to return the phone and get anythere one and put the Zagg shield on this time around.
    It is definitely not scratch proof. Please people don't try scratching it with your keys or other objects...especially sharp objects. However, the tiny scratches aren't that noticeable...especially with the screen on. I always kept mine in a pocket alone and installed a screen protector a week after I got it. I didn't notice the tiny scratches (probably mostly from my nails) until I was cleaning the screen to install the protector. They were definitely there, though, and on scratch was deep enough to be noticeable even after the protector was applied.
    Don't believe the indestructible screen crap from the forum geekwads.

I treated my pre incredibly gently for 3 weeks, keeping it in my front pocket facing in with nothing else in my pocket. Never dropped never suffered a collision.

Noticed today a chip right in the middle of the screen. It's buggin the heck out of me.. mostly noticeable with a clean screen when reflecting light.

I guess if I keep the screen greasy and dirty I won't even notice it.
    No scratch on the screen, but I just noticed this morning that I have a small chip out of the plastic right next to the volume rocker
    Qualcomm QCP 2700 -> ... Palm m125 ... -> Instinct -> Palm Pre

I tweet a lot about the Pre! @bshedwick
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    does anyone know the difference between all of the screen protectors? So many choices. Mainly looking at the bodyguardz and the invishields. Are they the same? Thanks
    Global Posts
    893 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ddegraw View Post
    does anyone know the difference between all of the screen protectors? So many choices. Mainly looking at the bodyguardz and the invishields. Are they the same? Thanks
    I had an invisible shield and removed it after 4 days when a bubble didn't disappear. Thats not a flaw with the product thats a flaw with my installation. Other than my flawed install I loved my IS product. I even liked how it made the phones plastic easier to grip.
    Some people say the BodyGaurdz are clearer than the Invisible Shield, claiming they have a less textured orange peel look (meaning the plastic shield has a texture, its not perfectly smooth). I had the invisible shield on my phone and while it does have a texture its not that noticeable when the phone is off and invisible when the screen is on. Both protectors are applied the same way and Im willing to bet they're nearly identical materials. I ordered a set of bodygaurdz and they should be here by Friday so I'f anyones interested I'll post my thoughts on the bodygaurdz then. The one perk that Bodygaurdz has over the invisible shield is the package contains 2 shields instead of one so if you make a mistake you can try again.
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    thanks!
    Global Posts
    893 Global Posts
    ok bodyguardz are drying as I write this.
    Skin Texture
    First off the Bodygaurz skins really are less "orange peely", you cant see the bumpy texture in the plastic hardly at all. Of course the downside to that is it doesn't feel as grippy as the IS. The little friction the Invisible Shield provided really made opening the phone easier. Sliding open the Pre was never difficult but the IS gives great grip. The Invisible Shield IS thicker than the bodyguardz so they might last longer in the long run I cant be sure.

Pre Pattern Cut of the Shield
    As a graphic designer Im always curious about patterns, cut and finish.
    For some reason the IS was much easier to line up than the Bodyguardz for me. In fact the bodyguardz seemed larger at the edges than the IS and I ended up trimming some excess with an exacto knife. Both products have tabs that wrap around the rounded edges of the phone at the 4 corners and If I ever do this again I think I'll just cut them off before I remove the shield from its backing. They're difficult to line up exactly and Im only interested in protecting the screen.

Install Kit
    The IS comes with a bottle of spray and a rubberized squegee. The BodyguardZ come with a bottle of spray and a plastic squegee thats very similar to a tiny credit card. The Bodygaurdz squegee worked much better for me than the IS squegee but you could use any credit card with an IS instead of their provided squegee. The Bodygaurdz had less bubbles post install but that may have more to do with me having more experience installing skins now.

Value

The Bodygaurdz give you a set of shields for the same price as the IS. Bodyguardz also provides lifetime replacements. Everyone I've talked to who's used invisible shield says they'll do the same if you call customer service, but at least with the BG its stated on the package.

My Humble Verdict

Right now Im thinking the IS is a better product as far as pattern and fit and thickness, its not a "clear" as the Bodygaurdz but its in no way distracting from the Pre Experience. Really either product will work great.

Side Note "BestSkinsEver"

My father is rocking a skin from BestSkinsEver and aside from being thinner than the Invisible Shield and a more generic pattern its working great for him. They also dont provide you with solution but the solution on all of these products is a mixture of soap and water and they tell you how to make your own. His install was quick and easy and bubble free. He did have a small problem with the edges not sticking but Im chalking that up to his first time installer status as well.

Now to wait for these bad boys to dry over night.
    nope still in great shape
    Global Posts
    194 Global Posts
    Not sure if anyone has seen this?

Car Mobile Audio Video Portable Device Screen Cleaning Pads - 3 Pack

I bought them, after getting a free one from the Audiovox people at the CE show in Las Vegas. I stuck one to the back of my phone. It is always there, and cleans the screen very well.. ( I have one on my laptop too)

They are about 1" square. The back side has a permanent glue which never wears off. The front side is a microfiber. It takes the oil completely off my screen immediately. I HIGHLY recommend this for the price...

I think they sell these at Meijers too, if you have one near you?
    I had mine for all of three days and there is now a terrible scratch on the screen. I have no idea how it happened. I have had so many phones in my life and so many Palm devices and none have had a scratch this bad after *years* of use. I've never used screen protectors either. I'm very careful to not put my phones/Palms in the same pocket as my keys. Very odd. This screen is easily scratched.
    Mine has a very small scratch on it - no idea how it got there, as I baby my device. It's only noticeable if I look for it.
    perfect
    Quote Originally Posted by Bujin View Post
    Mine has a very small scratch on it - no idea how it got there, as I baby my device. It's only noticeable if I look for it.
    I've got one of those too. It's not directly on the screen, but off to the side. I only saw it because I was wiping off the screen and thought it was a piece of lint. I may have caused it on an earring, don't know for sure though. My Instinct after a year still has no scratches

I need to get a screen protector asap.
    Last edited by RunningWithScissors; 07/07/2009 at 02:55 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by houtx View Post
    Not sure I believe that. I have a small scratch on mine that got there despite my putting it in the little case after every use.
    I find that extremely hard to believe as well as my pre somehow formed a very light scratch in the middle after having it for 2 days and careing for the unit meticulously and always storing the unit in it's sleeve. And Sprint refused replacement of the unit despite being in my 30 days and having insurance on top of that. So good bye Sprint and thanks for nothing
    Quote Originally Posted by danspalmone View Post
    This screen is easily scratched.
    This may apply to your screen, but I clean mine with the leg of my jeans and have carried it unprotected in my front pocket for exactly a month now and there's not a scratch on it.
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    Mine got two 3/4" scratches on the screen already, though not by my hand. I let a relative who has never used a touchscreen before use it, and she started using the tip of her finger, fingernail included, on the screen.

I was just about to get a order a BSE, too. Too bad my phone isn't defective enough to have Sprint get me a new know. For once, I'm actually jealous of those with extremely wobbly sliders or major back-light bleed.
    Last edited by zerohaste; 07/12/2009 at 04:10 PM.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast