1.    #1  
    These guys are more aggressive than Apple

Palm webOS system upgrades mandatory; hacking scene forbidden from tethering

If the hackers are like the iphone hackers... they'll figure a work around to the mandatory updates. But guess the tethering hack raised some eyebrows.
    More aggressive than Apple? Considering Palm has given them hints on how to not mess with the updates, I highly doubt that the updates will mess with any of the hacking.

Besides that, they weren't explicitly forbidden to work on tethering, that's just an alarmist headline. It was just suggested that Sprint would be unhappy and might force Palm to be more aggressive in going after tethering.
    Global Posts
    133 Global Posts
    Ever notice how some of the hackers just can't keep their mouths shut? It's like "Oh, here's a hidden feature Sprint didn't want turned on, let's tell the whole world so Sprint can shut them down!" Duh huh. It's like they're a bunch of 12 year olds.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishous View Post
    Ever notice how some of the hackers just can't keep their mouths shut? It's like "Oh, here's a hidden feature Sprint didn't want turned on, let's tell the whole world so Sprint can shut them down!" Duh huh. It's like they're a bunch of 12 year olds.
    Even if they did, you don't think forums like this would'nt have tons of people discussing it?
    Global Posts
    111 Global Posts
    It looks like Palm is going the path that Tivo took. You can do all kinds of crazy hacks to a Tivo with Tivo's blessing and even support. They let you download images of the software, etc. However, a few topics have been completely forbidden in the Tivo community, such as service emulators, under the threat of Tivo pulling support for the other stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishous View Post
    Um, the whole point is to SHARE what they find. What the hell is the point of hacking WebOS if they just kept it to themselves.
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    Palm is merely covering their own interests. It's not like they are laying the smack down on the tethering hackers. In fact they were being pretty damn nice about it. Sprint doesn't want the Pre to tether. Palm is just watching their own back. It's really quite simple.
    Quote Originally Posted by BlaqkAudio View Post
    Um, the whole point is to SHARE what they find. What the hell is the point of hacking WebOS if they just kept it to themselves.
    That sounds a bit 12-year-old-ish in itself. You're saying the point of hacking is "Nah-nah-nanah-nah! Look what I can do"? Maybe for some but form people just like to try things out. I for one don't care if anyone else knows how to do something that I've figured out. I may let others know if I think they may find it helpful but otherwise I just find the self-challenge to be enjoyable.
    Some hacks change the performance and functionality of the phone itself, which can of course be a problem because of potential support issues. Palm and Sprint might be willing to overlook this because of the value it adds to the device, or maybe they'll just announce that they'll not provide any technical support to "hacked" devices and leave it at that.

Tethering is a completely different issue, however, because it 1) involves very real violations of the terms of service, 2) creates network congestion problems, and 3) essentially represents the theft of data services. When Sprint planned for the Pre, they of course made bandwidth projections based on the Pre's capabilities and how much data it could theoretically utilize. A PC, of course, can use data at exponentially higher rates, impacting both Sprint's bottom line and other Sprint customers.

Really, how excited is everyone that some folks will connect their notebooks and hammer the Sprint network with bittorrent downloads and the like? If we start experiencing AT&T-like performance issues because of it, who are we going to blame? Will we blame Sprint, who made the decision not to allow tethering probably because they knew they can't build out their network quickly enough to support it? Or will we blame all of the people who hack their Pre and violate their own agreements this way? I know who I'll be upset with, that's for sure.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    Some hacks change the performance and functionality of the phone itself, which can of course be a problem because of potential support issues. Palm and Sprint might be willing to overlook this because of the value it adds to the device, or maybe they'll just announce that they'll not provide any technical support to "hacked" devices and leave it at that.

Tethering is a completely different issue, however, because it 1) involves very real violations of the terms of service, 2) creates network congestion problems, and 3) essentially represents the theft of data services. When Sprint planned for the Pre, they of course made bandwidth projections based on the Pre's capabilities and how much data it could theoretically utilize. A PC, of course, can use data at exponentially higher rates, impacting both Sprint's bottom line and other Sprint customers.

Really, how excited is everyone that some folks will connect their notebooks and hammer the Sprint network with bittorrent downloads and the like? If we start experiencing AT&T-like performance issues because of it, who are we going to blame? Will we blame Sprint, who made the decision not to allow tethering probably because they knew they can't build out their network quickly enough to support it? Or will we blame all of the people who hack their Pre and violate their own agreements this way? I know who I'll be upset with, that's for sure.
    The people that want tethering have been tethering prior to owning a Pre. We aren't going to see a massive hit to the network when the Pre gets a real solution to tethering because the majority of Pre owners won't use it.
    If we start experiencing AT&T-like performance issues because of it, who are we going to blame? Will we blame Sprint
    Excellent point. I can totally visualize the forum threads crying about it. The fact they've sold somewhere between 100,000 to 150,000 units and its Sprint's biggest launch ever means they have every reason to be worried about potential network congestion, even if only a small percentage of those users will use tethering. You've also got amazon kindles roaming Sprint's network, and you've got many many corporate blackberry users that Sprint offers *free* tethering for, people which would scream bloody murder if all of a sudden their tethering felt like dial up speed.

Really, if this was *just* about profit motive, then why does Sprint let blackberry phones tether for free while Verizon charges $15/month for the same thing? As well, why wouldn't Sprint just make tethering available on the Pre for a monthly fee it it was *only* about squeezing the customer?

I don't get the vibe Sprint planned to keep tethering crippled on the Pre forever.
    Last edited by odditory; 06/15/2009 at 02:44 PM.