Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by live001 View Post
    Yeah my pre through my aux sounds really good. I would say almost cd quality like. My instinct's volume was really low but pres is nice and loud!!!! I was very surprised by the quality actually.
    My Pre sounds great through my AUX input, too. Hopefully the volume settings are the issue in the OP's case.
    Rob Robinson
    Treo 600 >> Treo 650 >> Treo 755p >> Palm Pre
    Adding to the chorus --> plugging the Pre into the aux input in my wife's Altima and playing music through Pandora sounded incredible!
    Quote Originally Posted by notabun View Post
    Y'all are funny.... who listens to something and when it's too quiet doesn't take the time to try and turn up the volume on all connected devices, but instead has the time to visit a forum and complain about how it sucks?
    Since the sound output from the Pre isn't incredibly straightforward, and that my experience, and from the appearance of it, most people's experience is the opposite of the OP, the most likely reason is that they probably just plugged it in without adjusting the volume after doing so, not knowing it would change the volume output on them.

My experience with about a decade in technical support is that over 90% of the issues are user error. It doesn't matter how smart the user may be, or think they are, everyone overlooks the simplest issues, just assuming it was correct to begin with, when it wasn't.

If I had a dollar for every SysAdm or IT director who called in with comm issues on a modem, only to find they didn't have a phone line connected, I'd be making 6 figures too. Hell, I've kicked myself a few times for overlooking some mundane item, which would have saved us several hours of diagnostics, if I hadn't assumed this was correct.

If this isn't the case, and the volume, after connecting the Pre to the car stereo is turned up, then there may be an issue with the OP's phone/radio/cable.

I know when I first connected my Pre to my car I had to max out my volume to get it to my usual drive and chat listening levels. I'd disconnect the phone, so I could remove it from my vent mount and check the volume, finding it set to max volume, and place it back on the mount, and make the connections again. I was messing around with it, opening the keyboard to use universal search, when I found that the volume level was different after connecting the Pre to my car that I finally was able to get it to sound great through my system.
    Last edited by j2lawson; 06/15/2009 at 01:02 PM.
    Global Posts
    893 Global Posts
    sounds great playing through my factory 07 Grand Cherokee aux in.

Thank god for unlimited Data because I have been streaming Pandora constantly.
    Global Posts
    453 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by j2lawson View Post
    Since the sound output from the Pre isn't incredibly straightforward, and that my experience, and from the appearance of it, most people's experience is the opposite of the OP, the most likely reason is that they probably just plugged it in without adjusting the volume after doing so, not knowing it would change the volume output on them.

My experience with about a decade in technical support is that over 90% of the issues are user error. It doesn't matter how smart the user may be, or think they are, everyone overlooks the simplest issues, just assuming it was correct to begin with, when it wasn't.

If I had a dollar for every SysAdm or IT director who called in with comm issues on a modem, only to find they didn't have a phone line connected, I'd be making 6 figures too. Hell, I've kicked myself a few times for overlooking some mundane item, which would have saved us several hours of diagnostics, if I hadn't assumed this was correct.

If this isn't the case, and the volume, after connecting the Pre to the car stereo is turned up, then there may be an issue with the OP's phone/radio/cable.
    Don't think there's an issue with his equipment, as he says that his iPhone was louder than his Pre. Same equipment, save one: the phone. I have the same issue in my gf's car- the iPhone's volume was fine, but the Pre is soft. Even when it's turned up all the way, the volume has to be turned up a LOT more than it does on normal CD input or normal FM input to get a similar volume level.

I personally am glad the OP posted, because I was starting to think it was an isolated incident local only to me.

Oh- and notabun? Come on, man- you think he really connected his device, noticed the sound was low, then immediately jumped to the computer to post about it without trying to turn up the volume on anything? LOL. That's a ludicrous suggestion, I think. I can pretty much guarantee he tried; why wouldn't he?
    Global Posts
    893 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by buyrihn View Post
    Oh- and notabun? Come on, man- you think he really connected his device, noticed the sound was low, then immediately jumped to the computer to post about it without trying to turn up the volume on anything? LOL. That's a ludicrous suggestion, I think. I can pretty much guarantee he tried; why wouldn't he?
    I never assume another persons competence, especially when its alot easier to understand a lack of it.
    Global Posts
    453 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikest View Post
    I never assume another persons competence, especially when its alot easier to understand a lack of it.
    That is a damned true statement. In this case though, I don't think it's a case of incompetence- it's just the only logical thing to do, especially considering he had an iPhone; similar functionality there.

But your statement still stands, and 9.9 times out of ten, I'd agree with you.
    A lot of cars are different in this regard. Since the Pre doesnt have an amped line-out, you will have to get something called a Line Driver to amp up the signal.

Plenty of cars have this issue. Its not really a Pre problem.
    Global Posts
    103 Global Posts
    i compared the Pre back to back with my nephews iphone and the Pre sounded warmer and richer tones. They both had equal volume.

The car tested in was a 2007 G35 Sedan
    Come Visit Us at www.parkflyers.com
    Just to add to the list of people who are so far satisifed with their pre working through there car stereos

I still have an old school factory deck in my 2001 Pathfinder and I have loved rocking out with Pandora through my old school Tape Deck Line out thingy, and it sounds great. Plenty loud.

Waiting on this .80 cent cable to arrive before I can try it in my Wife's 2008 Altima which has an aux port.

**Edit**
    Grrr need 9 more posts before I can link.

Here is the link to a cheap cheap aux cable for anyone else who may need one for their new Pre!

preview.tinyurl.com/6hgfxa
    Why not just buy a cheap iPod and leave it in the car. Some cars (e.g. late model BMWs) have optional or standard iPod integration. This lets you control the iPod from the steering wheel or, in the case of a BMW with iDrive, the iDrive controller or screen. Much easier than fiddling with a phone while driving.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12