Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    Hey everyone,

I have been having HORRIBLE battery problems with my Pre (purchased 6/12/09). After reading a thread on battery life, I decided to try to follow some of the steps discussed there to extend my battery life.

When trying to reset the device, I decided to do a remote erase from the Palm site...thinking this would be a hard reset.

Now my phone is "bricked" and stuck on the Palm logo. It won't do anything else.

Thoughts?

Thanks
    Try the WebOS doctor, look for it on Palm's site, I'm not allowed to post links yet.
    Here's the link: http://www.palm.com/ROM
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    I already tried the WebOS doctor....no luck.

Talking to a Sprint rep online now - he's telling me that seeing the Palm screen is normal and should remain like that for at least 30 minutes as part of the reset incurred from the remote erase
    Global Posts
    269 Global Posts
    As a serial Pre-bricker, I can tell you that it takes at least 20 minutes for the SMS erase to work. The thing to look out for is the Palm logo. If it is doing the erase, the Palm logo will NOT flash. If the logo is flashing, that means it is trying to boot. However, I am also guessing that if you have bricked it hard enough, that a solid Palm logo could be expected as well. Also, how did the webOS Doctor fail for you? I'm asking because it is easier than the SMS kill to get going.
    How long did it take for the webOS doctor program to recognize that the Pre was connected to your pc via usb so that you could click "next"?

Also, did you choose USB sync on the Pre when connecting?
    Thanks
    oh that happened to me the first day I got it. What I did was take the battery out and put it back in and turn it on, hasnt bothered me since
    yea battery reset should fix it. good luck
    ( pre-wallpapers.com ) - Over 7000+ Wallpapers for your Palm Pre... Enjoy!
    Now that you've restored your Pre, what state is it in? Is it still activated with your Pre profile and Sprint account, or do you need to restart that process? Very curious here as to what precisely it means to remote wipe a Pre--does it essentially put it in a state where a thief can't use it?
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Global Posts
    269 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by redbirdie View Post
    How long did it take for the webOS doctor program to recognize that the Pre was connected to your pc via usb so that you could click "next"?

Also, did you choose USB sync on the Pre when connecting?
    Thanks
    The webOS doctor program is kinda finicky. Here is my almost sure way to get it working:

1. Pull the battery from your phone, then replace it. Do not turn it on.
    2. While holding the Volume Up button, plug the phone into a wall charger. You should get a big USB symbol on the screen.
    3. Reboot your PC. Do not connect the phone yet.
    4. Run the webOS Doctor program. Click Ok/Next until you get to the part where it wants you to connect the phone.
    5. Connect the phone. It may take a few minutes if it is the first time you are doing this as the drivers have to load.
    6. It'll take about 20-30 minutes to complete.

Good luck!
    Global Posts
    269 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    Now that you've restored your Pre, what state is it in? Is it still activated with your Pre profile and Sprint account, or do you need to restart that process? Very curious here as to what precisely it means to remote wipe a Pre--does it essentially put it in a state where a thief can't use it?
    It be as if you had just gotten it from the store. It'll be activated, but no profile. So essentially while your data is gone, someone could still make calls and create their own profile (or retrieve your data if they have your email and password). So if it get stolen, remember to wipe it and then get the phone deactivated.
    Quote Originally Posted by irateb View Post
    The webOS doctor program is kinda finicky. Here is my almost sure way to get it working:

1. Pull the battery from your phone, then replace it. Do not turn it on.
    2. While holding the Volume Up button, plug the phone into a wall charger. You should get a big USB symbol on the screen.
    3. Reboot your PC. Do not connect the phone yet.
    4. Run the webOS Doctor program. Click Ok/Next until you get to the part where it wants you to connect the phone.
    5. Connect the phone. It may take a few minutes if it is the first time you are doing this as the drivers have to load.
    6. It'll take about 20-30 minutes to complete.

Good luck!

Thanks so much for this step-by-step. I followed it exactly and it worked.
    Not sure yet if that fixed my original problem, but at least I was finally able to reset the phone.