Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 42
  1. #21  
    Tethering on my Instinct now. Won't trade it for a Pre until I can USB tether the Pre.
  2. #22  
    Tethering on my 700p and before on my 650. Why bother going to the Pre. Does it do anything the 700p does not do? The 700p does things the Pre does not, like tethering. I would like a new phone that tether's however.

    If Sprint does not allow tethering on the Pre it should reduce the "simply-everything" requirement so Pre owners can get cheap phone service and the modem card costs combined to at least be less than or equal to in cost, the "simply everything" plan.

    I have the "simply everything" plan on my 700p and am able to tether, with no 5 G limit.

    The 5 G limit is too small as well if you own a slingbox. You can use it up in an evening.
  3. jtiis's Avatar
    Posts
    104 Posts
    Global Posts
    119 Global Posts
    #23  
    While I can understand how someone could come to the idea that because their plan is called an "everything data" or "simply everything" plan that they should be free to use it to for internet on their laptop or however they choose - but - the assumption is wrong.

    "Everything" is a broad term, yes, but clearly Sprint has the right to define how broad they intend it to be defined. If they say our "Everything Data" means as much as you want to use on your phone - untethered - then that's their call - they just need to make that plain in their PRPRPR $and$ $CS$ $talk$.

    To say they MUST allow tethering because of the term "Everything" would be like saying, if I pay for a meal at an "All You Can Eat" Buffet - they can't call the cops if I start adding their decorative plants to my salad... Hey, if I can eat it - your sign said "All You Can Eat!". You say, yeah, but they clearly meant food... well, Sprint has, since the phone came out - clearly said - they clearly mean no tethering.

    "Everything" is only as everything as the rest of the contract says.
  4. #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by Ti-maniac View Post
    Why bother going to the Pre. Does it do anything the 700p does not do?
    You're kidding, right?
  5. irateb's Avatar
    Posts
    257 Posts
    Global Posts
    269 Global Posts
    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by Ti-maniac View Post
    Tethering on my 700p and before on my 650. Why bother going to the Pre. Does it do anything the 700p does not do? The 700p does things the Pre does not, like tethering. I would like a new phone that tether's however.
    I too was a 700P owner, and was very happy with it, but the Pre does several things the 700P doesn't. Sure the 700P does things the Pre can't, but once the SDK gets release (I assume that'll be after at least one software update once they figure out the major bugs), the Pre will far exceed anything the 700P can do. Remember, the only reason you could tether a 700P from the onset was because there was a 600 and 650 before it that could not do it at the onset.
  6. #26  
    CrunchGear does't seem to like all this...

    John Biggs wrote an interesting article and created his own palmpretether site.... I would post the link but the forums do not allow my Pre to cut & paste her....
  7. #27  
    What's so special about the Pre that Sprint would make a stink about people tethering with it as opposed to my 755p, that can (and does) tether occasionally?

    I used my 755p to tether a few times this past weekend while I was out of town and staying in a motel that only offered WiFi in the lobby.
    “Wolves are the top of the food chain, and when the wolf population is healthy, all other animal and plant populations are healthy.” -- Lois Tulleners
  8. #28  
    So why wouldn't Sprint just charge the same for the Phone-As-Modem add-on to your plan as they do for other phones?

    By the way how much does that option cost on Sprint? I found on this page the following text:
    Tether your phone to a laptop, via USB cable or Bluetooth®, and you'll have the freedom to access your corporate data or the Internet. To get started:

    Choose a Power VisionSM phone and then select a voice plan that works for you.

    Once you reach the Services section, select the "Unlimited Data Plan for Phone as Modem" option under "Mobile Broadband Services."
    but when I try to purchase a compatible phone, I can't find a "Unlimited Data Plan for Phone as Modem" option under "Mobile Broadband Services" anywhere. Has the Phone as Modem option been discontinued for new accounts and you have to buy a separate Broadband card?
  9. Rusty J's Avatar
    Posts
    178 Posts
    Global Posts
    183 Global Posts
    #29  
    I'd be more than happy to pay an additional Phone-as-Modem fee, I just don't want to fuss with extra hardware (and, honestly, deal with another line subject to early termination fees)
    -Rusty
    Blackjack, Tilt; Treo 90, 270-680; Palm Vx, i705, T|T3, iQue 3200; Nokia N800, E71
  10. #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by zone97 View Post
    Lets do the math..

    Average phone line cost (land line) 24$ = $288 for a year
    Average Broadband cost $60 = $720 for a year
    Total = $1008

    Cell phone service with unlimited data $99 = $1188
    Data card service $60 = $720 for a year

    On the cell phone data plan subtract $720 for the phone portion. $900 for ?data?

    So you are paying $180 EXTRA, to walk around with your phone and modem in your pocket. but are being limited to how you use it..... You pay more for the yearly data usage than you do for your always on broadband connection that you use 90% more than the data on your phone.

    Yes, I know this really is not apples to apples. But more like apples to pears. But the principal is the same. We are already paying for a service that should not cost extra....
    Try walking around the block with your modem and PC...How come my cellphone costs more than my landline? Because its portable, it has better technology and because I agreed to pay for that convenience.
    Att's tethering plan is $30 a month on top of your $30 unlimited data. It has a 100mb soft cap. Their data card is $60 with a 5gb hard cap. U want sprint to throw that in for free? and be competitive?

    Sprints not UNICEF.
  11. #31  
    And further more, the iphone 3gs is gonna tether. Sprint will offer it. Just give it some time. And whose network do you think your gonna get more outta tethering??
  12.    #32  
    Tethering has been solved. News at 11...
    Gizmodo Tethering Article
    treo 90 > treo 300 > treo 600 > treo 650 > motorola Q > instinct > treo pro > Whats next???? PRE?
  13. Scott_L's Avatar
    Posts
    323 Posts
    Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    #33  
    Free? I don't know about all of you, but I'm paying $70+ a month for my phone service with Sprint. What;s the profit there? It's gotta be 80 to 90% so if I want to tether for a few minutes a couple times every few months I think it should be included. As some have mentioned, allow tethering with a limit then charge minimally for extra usage.
  14. #34  
    Oh geez. Be glad Sprint didn't make some special BS plan that costs more just because you have a Pre. You guys are aware that a Pre already uses up a certain amount of bandwidth each month just sitting there (due to having to sync with the "cloud" constantly)?

    And why do you think Sprint is only cracking down on the Pre? It's only because the Pre is the newest phone on their lineup. As per the contract you signed, you're not allowed to tether on ANY phone UNLESS you have PAM added to your account. It's just that most people tether on the DL to avoid attracting attention from Sprint.
  15. #35  
    Rules of Pre Tethering

    1. You don't talk about Pre tethering.
    2. You don't talk about Pre tethering.
    3. When the Pre says stop, or goes limp, even if he's just faking it, the tether is over.
    4. Only two devices to a tether.
    5. One tether at a time.
    6. They tether without shirts or shoes.
    7. The tethers go on as long as they have to.
    8. If this is your first night at tethering, you have to tether.
    Last edited by chodaboy; 06/16/2009 at 12:28 AM. Reason: Formatting
  16. #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott_L View Post
    Free? I don't know about all of you, but I'm paying $70+ a month for my phone service with Sprint. What;s the profit there? It's gotta be 80 to 90% so if I want to tether for a few minutes a couple times every few months I think it should be included. As some have mentioned, allow tethering with a limit then charge minimally for extra usage.
    You are not going to cost Sprint anything by tethering the way you describe and your model is probably the way the great majority of the people use tethering.

    As mentioned many times on many threads in may forums here and elsewhere, stories of people getting in any trouble are uncorroborated and probably limitied to people who use it full time and are pulling 5 or 10 gb, and not the few hundred mb average per month tethering
  17. Xyg
    Xyg is offline
    Xyg's Avatar
    Posts
    1,104 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    #37  
    I would enjoy the option for tethering on the Pre.

    Keep this in mind though, folks: The Sprint CSO was quoted as saying that tethering will be possible.
  18. jsabo's Avatar
    Posts
    427 Posts
    Global Posts
    479 Global Posts
    #38  
    Given that the iPhone's gonna have it, combined with the uproar from the blogosphere about the "don't talk about tethering" request, you can pretty much bet that Sprint is going to have to offer the service.

    The only question is if they're going to offer it for free as a loss-leader to try to steal more of the iPhone market, or if they're going to have to charge extra for it to maintain their bottom line.
  19. Xyg
    Xyg is offline
    Xyg's Avatar
    Posts
    1,104 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by jsabo View Post
    Given that the iPhone's gonna have it, combined with the uproar from the blogosphere about the "don't talk about tethering" request, you can pretty much bet that Sprint is going to have to offer the service.

    The only question is if they're going to offer it for free as a loss-leader to try to steal more of the iPhone market, or if they're going to have to charge extra for it to maintain their bottom line.
    The iPhone will have tethering in some places. Those places don't include the United States or AT&T.
  20. #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyg View Post
    The iPhone will have tethering in some places. Those places don't include the United States or AT&T.
    AT&T will definitely offer tethering. There would be too big of an uproar for them to not offer tethering after the Apple announcing tethering support in iPhone OS 3.0. Question is whether or not tethering will be free.

    I think Sprint should include limited tethering for free (personally, a 1 GB cap would be enough) with upgrade options for heavier users.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions