Global Posts
    31 Global Posts
    Hi,
    I have a couple of Palm Pre devices I purchased without a plan,
    meaning all Ican do with them is watch the failing activation program and set spanish or English on the device.
    Since I am not in the US, having a plan is not relevant.
    I saw on the web several articles and blogs Steve Troughton-Smith which is exactly what I need.

anyone here can assist with instructing me what to do?

Thank you
    Wow, I have to say your a "fill in the blank"! Lots of people in the US cant even find one, and and you have a "couple" that you cant even use? I was under the impresion that the first batch was teathered to sprint, as being beta and all.... maybe thats just software. But hey why dont you take a long stroll off a short cliff.....
    Global Posts
    773 Global Posts
    You can try pre dev wiki: Welcome to the Pre/webOS dev wiki, but i do not think they ahve any info on that. If you do find it, you should add it there.

How did you get "a few?" Also, why did you have these?
    So you have a sprint only phone and you're not in the US? time to hit the sell button on ebay cause they're about as useless as the riverstone they're inspired upon.
    Global Posts
    31 Global Posts
    Hi,
    first thing is first,
    I bout 2 devices on ebay.
    I will not sell them as I need them locally.
    but I went through the WIKI on this and there are instruction which I went through and even managed to pack all up but the flashing proccess aborts at 14%.
    so this meens I am missing something.
    I know that the MD5 is important part and got that done like on the instructions.
    the only thing I am stuck on is editing the MANIFEST.MF file. what do I need to edit?
    I would highly appreciate any assistance on this.
    I know that what I want to do was done allready but need to do it as well.

Thanx
    Manifest files have the default pathname "META-INF/MANIFEST.MF" and are saved along with the JAR file; the default manifest file can be modified with a basic text editor.
    Global Posts
    31 Global Posts
    I am able to modify the MANIFEST file but dont quiet understand what needs to be modified.
    I know that what I want to do is paossible as Steve Troughton-Smith did the same thing.
    Also since the device is not activated you cannot reach any of the phone's menus so actually I cant even get to DEV mode.
    Global Posts
    31 Global Posts
    I saw on the manifest that ther eis the SHA1-Digest which I suppose I need to recalculate for the WebOS.tar file.
    my regular MD5 calculator gives a much longer string and uses only hexadecimal charachters. do you know what tool I need for calculating the correct value here?
    Global Posts
    31 Global Posts
    OK,
    Some update.

I found that my Manifest file is not the problem and actually is fine.
    so I went a bit more into what I did.
    I started from scratch and edited the app-assist file (I hope what I did was fine) and then repacked it while updating the two md5sums files mentioned.

tested this and still not good enough.

so,
    other options are:
    1. when I unpacked the Tar files etc. there was one case when right before the end I got an error message claiming that some of the files needed to be unpacked allready exist. should I overwrite? is this ok?
    2. when I repacked to tar files there was an option to set encoding level and I left it on default of 32. should it be something else (like 64 or 128)?
    Quote Originally Posted by Gidimba View Post
    OK,
    Some update.

I found that my Manifest file is not the problem and actually is fine.
    so I went a bit more into what I did.
    I started from scratch and edited the app-assist file (I hope what I did was fine) and then repacked it while updating the two md5sums files mentioned.

tested this and still not good enough.

so,
    other options are:
    1. when I unpacked the Tar files etc. there was one case when right before the end I got an error message claiming that some of the files needed to be unpacked allready exist. should I overwrite? is this ok?
    2. when I repacked to tar files there was an option to set encoding level and I left it on default of 32. should it be something else (like 64 or 128)?
    hi, i'm also encountering the same situation. My Pre is on the way, without contract, keep unactivated. I'm seeking a way to bypass Sprint's activation program but there's no detail information on the internet by now. If you can work it out, could you please just share with us?
    Quote Originally Posted by Gidimba View Post
    Hi,
    first thing is first,
    I bout 2 devices on ebay.
    I will not sell them as I need them locally.
    but I went through the WIKI on this and there are instruction which I went through and even managed to pack all up but the flashing proccess aborts at 14%.
    so this meens I am missing something.
    I know that the MD5 is important part and got that done like on the instructions.
    the only thing I am stuck on is editing the MANIFEST.MF file. what do I need to edit?
    I would highly appreciate any assistance on this.
    I know that what I want to do was done allready but need to do it as well.

Thanx
    I have the exact same problem. Did you ever get this figured out Gidimba?
    same subject as the person with the two Pre's...except I'm not as bright as him, because I have no clue how to edit the codes. I was going through the tutorial and I dont feel comfortable messing around with the codes unless it's in a more simpler step by step tutorial. Can someone make a video of this or write a better tutorial please. Thanx.
    p.s. Gidimba if u ever figure it out let us know please.
    Last edited by at1454; 09/04/2009 at 10:55 PM. Reason: added post script
    Hi ,

i have modified the WebOS Doctor file as per the webos-internals.org(Patch_webOS_Bypassing_Activation) procedure
    -Bypass activate screen using Wifi

after creating WebOs Doctor file i am getting the starting screen but after that connected the Palm Pre Mobile with system using USB Cable. after giving next button it's going Battary charging screen and immediately getting the screen like "unable to reset device" . help me to resolve the problem.

Regards,
    Jeyavel N