Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Yes. This is exactly how I said Sprint would get screwed in my "Ten Things I Hate..." opinion piece.
    I have to agree with the OP that Sprint is getting screwed on this deal. A six month exclusivity is pretty weak, and the build quality of these original phones is terrible if you read through this forum. Everything from light distortion, to loose sliders, to dead/stuck pixels, to a very delicate outer shell which is very vulnerable to cracking.

I don't think this device will be a savior for Sprint although it was a good try, and I am personally satisfied with my own Pre, for now.
    Quote Originally Posted by pre school View Post
    I have to agree with the OP that Sprint is getting screwed on this deal. A six month exclusivity is pretty weak, and the build quality of these original phones is terrible if you read through this forum. Everything from light distortion, to loose sliders, to dead/stuck pixels, to a very delicate outer shell which is very vulnerable to cracking.

I don't think this device will be a savior for Sprint although it was a good try, and I am personally satisfied with my own Pre, for now.

ah, not only is Sprint taking it in the shorts, but what about all the folks who bought one, and will keep it past 30 days, HOPING things will improve, but don't? I'd say they are getting their share of a whuppin' too.
    Global Posts
    84 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rc46 View Post
    I'm not having any issues with mine. I think WebOS 1.02 is already more stable than WM 6.1
    I agree 100%. As you can see by my signature, I am no stranger to Windows Mobile.
    R.I.P. Windows Mobile (2002 - 2009)

HP Jornada 568 -> HP Ipaq 2215 -> Audiovox SMT5600 -> Tmobile SDA -> Qtek 8500 (HTC STRTrk) -> Motorola Q -> Sprint Mogul -> Sprint Touch -> Sprint Touch Diamond -> Sprint Touch Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by 1812dave View Post
    ah, not only is Sprint taking it in the shorts, but what about all the folks who bought one, and will keep it past 30 days, HOPING things will improve, but don't? I'd say they are getting their share of a whuppin' too.
    Please come back and chat, and add some VALUE to the community, when you have a Pre - or at least when you have had one longer than the 2 minutes you saw it in the store.

Really, I don't get it. Please explain it to me - why you feel compelled to post from the peanut gallery about something you have no experience with? Really, I would like to understand. I don't spend my time dumping on Centro's, iPhones or Blackberry's, etc. in those forums - all phones I could care less about.
    It's not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change” - Darwin
    Quote Originally Posted by sheltem View Post
    I agree 100%. As you can see by my signature, I am no stranger to Windows Mobile.
    A breath of fresh air from WM. I actually liked WM pretty good, but hated to have to use the stylus in some areas. I took to the swipes/gestures on the Pre in about 15 minutes. Both of my kids had iPod Touches - I keep wanting to swipe stuff away on them now! Will say the screen size is nice on the Touch/iPhone but I don't really miss it when using the Pre overall as a smartphone. Not a huge difference when browsing, really.
    It's not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change” - Darwin
    If it is, the least they could do is the courtesy of giving us an update to fix some of the lamest parts, in 2 weeks. They really need to, because some of the stuff is obvious. Like the lame-*** calculator and alarm clock, etc. and for the love of goodness, can't a girl get a few decent ringers? lordy.
    Global Posts
    844 Global Posts
    As with most people, battery life seems to be the biggest issue for me. I do have the touchstone and a car charger, so, I'm not too concerned at this point. The only "glitch I've experienced is the already noted "phone shuts off when I close the slider issue." I put a "shim" in the battrey, and that seems to have done the trick. I'm going to see about getting a different battery tomorrow.

Coming from the 700p, and then the 755p, I love the size and feel of this phone. It's MUCH easier to carry in my shirt pocket or even my pants pocket. I like having Wifi, biggger screen, much better browser, ect. I expect the Apps store to continue to grow. At this point, I'm satisfied.
    Quote Originally Posted by bubbatex View Post
    Please come back and chat, and add some VALUE to the community, when you have a Pre - or at least when you have had one longer than the 2 minutes you saw it in the store.

Really, I don't get it. Please explain it to me - why you feel compelled to post from the peanut gallery about something you have no experience with? Really, I would like to understand. I don't spend my time dumping on Centro's, iPhones or Blackberry's, etc. in those forums - all phones I could care less about.
    stick to the topic. I'm not interested in getting personal.
    I agree that sprint got screwed in this deal. I have been with sprint for 5 years and than some with no complaints. Their customer service has been nothin but great for me. My previous phone was the Moto Q9c. It was my first smartphone and I upgraded to winmo 6.1 as soon as it was released. I bought my pre on opening day, and was surprised at how it beat my expectations. Battery life is a problem but so far it is significantly better than day 1 and 2. The only thing I miss is my Pocketnester for NES games. Tho I have faith it will come to the pre in some form sooner rather than later.
    How did Sprint get screwed? There are Sprint Stores with 200+ people on the waiting list trying to get this phone. People are switching to get the Pre. This is GOOD for Sprint.

I work in technology and I can tell you this is far from a beta device.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
  12. TMJ
    I believe if sprint can fix the phone signal issues most people will be happy. Also getting 100,000 plus new customers is not getting screwed, hopefully the return after 30 days is minimal. The phone shines where others can't even compete. So please sprint/palm fix my rotating signal strength so i don't have to return mine (because i love it), because the truth is it's a phone 1st.
    Quote Originally Posted by ejohnnyk View Post
    After a few days of heavy use... I've realized that fancy graphics, UI, swiping, animations, etc. are not really as important as having a POWERFUL device... and let's face it folks, Windows Mobile 5/6/6.1 is pretty powerful. Too bad it's so ugly. I miss it already... but I'm sticking with the Pre (for now).
    I totally agree, WM is powerful, I'm using the TP right now, but will be making the jump to the Pre as soon as I can (can't wait!), and I must say, there are things in WM I know I'll miss - primarily the ability to skin the UI to whatever I want, and a certain feature that I will not name (but you know what it is anyway). I really was going to try and hold out for WM7 on a Tegra-based device, but nvidia is taking far too long to get those chips out to phones, they've been ready for nearly 2 years, I'm not waiting another 1.5yrs on the current sluggish WM, nope, movin onto WebOS for now, maybe jump to WM7 when it's good and ready...
    Quote Originally Posted by 1812dave View Post
    stick to the topic. I'm not interested in getting personal.
    I did - and you should also pick topics which you know something about.
    I'll agree with most of what was said. Yes Sprint got a little screwed, BUT they should have known there would be a lot of tech problems with a V1 device. With that said, and as was said throughout this thread, LOTS of people are upgrading to the Pre so even with the problems and extra amount of tech support, Sprint is still going to be okay. Not to mention most people will be stuck on sprint for awhile, even after the device goes to other carriers unless they want to pay ETFs.

As long as Palm fixes the Signal issue, and does a little work to battery life, they shouldn't have a problem with returns. With that said, I am with the other people in this thread that will be returning their Pre's if the signal problem is not fixed. A lot of people (including Palm tech support, which we should ALL be making a claim with or it will never get fixed) are blaming Sprint. I don't know about you guys, but I have been with Sprint for almost a decade, and have been using Palm device's for almost half as long. My father has been using Palm/Sprint since I can remember with the 600/650. I have NEVER had a signal problem with Sprint until now, no matter where I go. Even at home and work, I am dropping calls and loosing service.. something I have never had a problem with. I live right in between DC and Baltimore, I don't think service is bad here on ANY carrier. In fact, I have my Fiance using my old Centro, and sister using my old 755. I still have my Treo Pro that I turn on every once in awhile. None of them are having erratic signal problems, let alone dropped calls that my Pre is having.
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    How did Sprint get screwed? There are Sprint Stores with 200+ people on the waiting list trying to get this phone. People are switching to get the Pre. This is GOOD for Sprint.

I work in technology and I can tell you this is far from a beta device.
    I agree, and Sprint really needs and deserves good news and press, I've been with em since the dark days when they were the worst carrier of all time, and by the time we were eligible to upgrade or leave, they had already improved dramatically, and since then, have had no reason to jump ship - they have so many more pros to outweigh the cons, if they just tweak a few more things such as the internet cap, add rollover minutes, add favs, and learn better marketing (make funny commercials that are informative and boast the advantages they have in pricing and 3G/4G speeds, etc) they'd be in a position to expand and really take over more of the US cell market. They really ought to fight for permanent exclusivity over the Pre, it really is coming out to be the generator of a turning point in Sprint's reputation, people are actually beginning to open their eyes to see Sprint is no longer a fraction as bad as it once was.
    Quote Originally Posted by TMJ View Post
    I believe if sprint can fix the phone signal issues most people will be happy. Also getting 100,000 plus new customers is not getting screwed, hopefully the return after 30 days is minimal. The phone shines where others can't even compete. So please sprint/palm fix my rotating signal strength so i don't have to return mine (because i love it), because the truth is it's a phone 1st.
    So true if that don't work whats the point.
    I seem to have a lemon, maybe it's a fluke, but there are so many problems with the heat, resets, memory, etc... I just think it may be built really poorly. I love the idea of the phone and I believe Sprint/Palm will resolve the software side of the issues, but the hardware is crap. 2 dead pixels, I big pixel-like circle under the screen, ridiculously hot to the touch, phone says to close cards when NO cards are open, alarm has failed to go off several times, etc. I'm sure Sprint will give me a replacement, but really are all these issues just because I got a lemon? BTW I am not an iphone lover or any of that, I love this phone, just don't love the problems. My unresponsive instinct did better than this phone, sadly.
    Getting 100000 new customers is not great if you still lose a million customers. And then you lose the exclusivity to pre at end of year or at least lose webos exclusivity with palm making a webos phone for other carriers and your ride is over or has significantly slowed down. They made a mistake not locking palm down. Should be interesting next quarter numbers if they still show loss of customers.
    Global Posts
    611 Global Posts
    Concerning issues with the phone, I also think its important to remember that in the first weekend 100,000 Pres were sold and the members here at precentral represent a very small number of Pre owners. I'm not saying there haven't been people with issues-- but using precentral as a gauge is not really accurate.

I've also had no problems with my Pre. I did initially have problems with battery life, but each day the life got better. Today, I took my phone off the charger at 8am. It is now 12am and my battery is at 47%, and I've been using the phone through out the day. My only other issue is that I have some slight screen 'wabble' that people have been talking about, but it wasn't like that out of the box--- my phone flew out of my holster (the crappy plastic one) and hit the street, and after that is when it got a little wobbly (thank God the screen didn't scratch). But I really don't have any problems with the device, nor have i had any problems with Sprint in regards to phone service and customer service.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast