Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I'm on my second Pre. I exchanged my first because of the screen spot issues. So when I got my second Pre, I thoroughly checked the screen out and it was perfect (well, just the usual distortion at the bottom but not too bad). I literally spent 15 minutes in the store staring at the screen of the new Pre so I know for a fact that there were no bad pixels.

Now, my screen looks like Starry Night with at least 9 stuck (bright) pixels! It's especially noticeable when on the black "Palm" screen when the device first boots up after being completely powered off.

The only thing I can think of that might have changed things is that I turned the screen brightness up all the way earlier today when I was trying to drain the battery.

This does not please me.
    I just exchanged my pre because the clearcoat was coming up already in one of the corners. My replacement has a loose top piece, blotch screen at the bottom and 4 dead pixels. I am going to wait a couple of months and exchange it then. Only good thing is the keys are less "sticky" feeling, but my orange one isn't completely orange, you can see a circle in the middle of it.
    Sorry to hear that, do you have a pic that you can show us? Not that I dont believe you, I just want to see how it looks like. I've been hearing more and more about dead pixels and I just want to see exactly how it looks like. thanks.
    Can you guys also mentioned your manufacture date, or warranty date as its called?

Just go to the phone app and dial ##786# after a while a screen comes up that gives you the warranty date at the bottom of the screen.
    yea the build quality could have been better, I'm just glad WebOS has gotten off to a great start.
    ( pre-wallpapers.com ) - Over 7000+ Wallpapers for your Palm Pre... Enjoy!
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    Yeah, I am having a similar issue. I noticed one dead/stuck pixel when I first bought it and slowly over time I started noticing more and more. I think I am up to 6 or 7. All of them are on the very edge of the screen though and only one of them is visible outside of a black screen but I am sure those will stick soon as well. If you want to check yours put it in usb drive mode and check out the corners. My really bad pixel is like 2 or 3 dead pixels in a cluster and it didn't bother me at first because it was only noticeable on a black background. But after a week of use, the pixel has turned pink and is now visible most of the time. I plan on taking the phone back... but I dread getting an even crappier phone.
    Yeah, I had a similar issue. When I picked it up I only had a couple dead pixels in the corners. No biggie. But now I'm up to about 7, and its only been a week now. Not at all encouraging.
  8.    #8  
    Here are some pictures. They are slightly out of focus; that's the only way I could get the blown pixels to show up on camera. Not all of them show up in these pictures and those that do aren't as big as they seem in the pictures.

I must be wrong about my brightness theory. I can think of no way turning up the backlight would blow pixels on the LCD.

DSCF2017.png

DSCF2020.png

DSCF2027.png

DSCF2028.png
  9.    #9  
    It's hard to tell, but it looks like the bright pixel closest to the 'P' in "Palm" changes from blue in the 3rd picture to red in the 4th.
    I'm sorry to hear that. The quality sucks
    Quote Originally Posted by clipcarl View Post
    I must be wrong about my brightness theory. I can think of no way turning up the backlight would blow pixels on the LCD.
    Turning the brightness up makes them easier to see, I don't think it causes them to go bad. I have about 10 bad pixels. I'm wanting to exchange it but like ken0311 I'd hate for the replacement to have worse problems.

Warranty date is 5/25/2009.
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers
    my pre also just started growing bad pixels it was 1 pixel the other day and now it's 2.
    I have one single bad one right in the middle of my screen, stuck on black. I can really only see it when using the web (when there is a white background). June 1 mfg date. Does anyone know how easy it will be to take it back for a return? Will they give me a hard time?
    Excess heat causing LCD to fail. Pressure on the phone case causing stress on the LCD?
    I'd hold onto your Pre's as long as your circumstances allow prior to exchanging it. Wait for the early-run units to get off the shelves.

No dead pixels for me so far. Knock on wood.
  16.    #16  
    How do I tell what my warranty and manufacturing dates are?

@northside: Yeah, good advice. I'm going to wait a few weeks and then exchange it. Hopefully by then there will be be some better devices out there.

@everyone else: please buy all the crappy early devices out there so I can get a good one in a few weeks!
    There is a web site for the iPhone that you can test for them and offers a sceen that flashes all the colors in succession that can sometimes fix them. Stuck ones, not dead ones. Search here for the url, sorry I cannot remember it off hand.
    Systems Analyst by trade, Drummer by desire and Music Lover by birth. A self proclaimed Geek and gadget nut. ii

Did you know: The Pittsburgh Steelers have more championships than 21 other NFL teams combined!
    Pittsburgh Steelers-6 Time Super Bowl Champions!

Pittsburgh Penguins-3 Time Stanley Cup Champions!
    This dead pixel problem is very discouraging. Sound like Palm isn't doing so hot in the quality control department. Keeping my fingers crossed that I don't get these problems. Mine looks perfect for now
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by 1Paladin View Post
    There is a web site for the iPhone that you can test for them and offers a sceen that flashes all the colors in succession that can sometimes fix them. Stuck ones, not dead ones. Search here for the url, sorry I cannot remember it off hand.
    Anyone know the link for this site?
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by pre school View Post
    This dead pixel problem is very discouraging. Sound like Palm isn't doing so hot in the quality control department. Keeping my fingers crossed that I don't get these problems. Mine looks perfect for now
    Just don't turn your brightness all the way up and look at a black screen. You might be unpleasantly surprised.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast