Global Posts
    599 Global Posts
    So everyone knows the story about battery life. I don't know anything about batteries conditioning and one kind vs another. However heres where I'm at with it now.....

Got up at ~7:15AM and took the phone off of the charger. Made some calls/received calls (dropped a call, Airave coming this week). Had my sisters graduation to go to so went to the folks looked up the address of the graduation place in the Navigator and also Google maps.
    Looked at the app store and played around with some other items like the docs, some texts, etc.

Used the Navigation for a 30 min road trip (most of the way), looked it up the rest of the way on google maps (don't ask).

Once there (boring speeches lol), looked and searched the web. Used the Where app for a restaurant we where going to afterwards. And played with it on and off during the ceremonies and also took a couple of pics.

Used Navigation again to go eat. Came home watched the game, received some texts and batter is still @ 47%.

Of note wifi is on 100% all day every day.

Are others experiencing better battery life or are there bad batteries out there? O
    Unplugged at midnight, used for about 30 minutes of talk, around 100 texts, about an hour of total surfing time, around 2 hours of Pandora streaming into stereo via BT....and, wait for it...still at 36% at 11 pm (that's 23 hours). This beats the pants off my Treo 755p, the battery life seems to get a little better every day. Totally happy with the phone.
    Are you guys connected on AIM/Gtalk?
    Global Posts
    599 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KoukiFC3S View Post
    Gtalk yes, but I don't really have anyone on the list lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by KoukiFC3S View Post
    AIM, yes, but I don't think I used it today...of course I don't always look to see how I am being reached now. I love the way it groups the same persons stuff together!
    Just got my invisible shield and I'll let the battery drain overnight by leaving Bluetooth and maybe something else with updates. Then I'll charge on my commute. Someone said this would help. I dunno. It's not bad now, but it's not good either.
    Turned gtalk off as I realized don't need to be connected at all times, also am running on the airave I just got..

Turns out that now my battery lasts all day and then some as long as I have a good signal ... Yesterday I think I took her off the charger at 6am and by 10pm it was at 17% because I was watching youtube...moderate use during the day as well ....

Difference is as work where I don't geta great signal but am connected wifi it will get to about 40% by e 12pm during the day and I might have to top it off with the charger
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    I haven't charged mine since Saturday, and currently (Monday) it is at 48%. Not bad considering something blew up over the weekend and I got 2,000 emails (Which the Pre downloaded), and moderate use with Pandora and the browser.

Also on WiFi 100% of the time, I think that is the trick to good battery life.
    These stories here are awesome, but no matter what I can't get the battery life you guys have!

How much% do you guys lose an hour? On standby I noticed if I don't make calls/surf internetc etc, I lose about 5% an hour. As soon as I start sending emails/calling/surf internet it goes down faster.

When you guys say keep wi-fi on, do you mean, just ON ALL THE TIME? even if you're not even near a Wifi spot? That sounds weird to me because the wifi radio would be on, even if you're not using it at all, and your emails would still be pulled over EVDO, so I still don't get it. Thanks for your help.
    I think the real battery killer is push email. None of you sound like you're having a lot of email pushed. I get hundreds of emails (with four mailboxes syncing) and do almost nothing else and I get 6-8 hours of battery life.
    Global Posts
    599 Global Posts
    I have email pushed from gmail and OWA from work as they come.
    Wifi is always on for me regardless of the hot spot and I set gmail to get mail as it arrives, never been a fan of push email since the htc touch days ....

Being always in a good service area is the key I believe
    Quote Originally Posted by WizardHowl View Post
    These stories here are awesome, but no matter what I can't get the battery life you guys have!

How much% do you guys lose an hour? On standby I noticed if I don't make calls/surf internetc etc, I lose about 5% an hour. As soon as I start sending emails/calling/surf internet it goes down faster.

When you guys say keep wi-fi on, do you mean, just ON ALL THE TIME? even if you're not even near a Wifi spot? That sounds weird to me because the wifi radio would be on, even if you're not using it at all, and your emails would still be pulled over EVDO, so I still don't get it. Thanks for your help.
    With the phone sitting, and everything off (no GPS, BT or Wifi) I lose .5-1% per hour. Last night, I "missed" when placing the Pre on the Touchstone and when I woke up this morning it still had 91% juice (Had about 96% when I put it on the Touchstone....if I recall.)

What type of email accounts do you have set up? There are known issues with Hotmail and possibly others. Also, it was suggested that push is actually less power consumptive than hourly checks. I haven't tried that myself.

AIM is also a big power hog. I rely on text messages instead. You can even have some accounts direct messages to SMS text (Hotmail will has this option, with Messenger, if you are "offline.")

I generally turn off GPS, BT and Wifi, unless I'm using them.

P.S. Before I removed the Hotmail account, my Pre never lasted more than 4 hours and sometimes drew 30% power in less than an hour!
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    Is there a way to turn GoogleTalk off?...i just went to buddies, then sign off...is that it?
    quote: What type of email accounts do you have set up? There are known issues with Hotmail and possibly others. Also, it was suggested that push is actually less power consumptive than hourly checks. I haven't tried that myself.

I use GMAIL and Fastmail for IMAP and also sync my exchange account.
    Quote Originally Posted by Disaster View Post
    With the phone sitting, and everything off (no GPS, BT or Wifi) I lose .5-1% per hour. Last night, I "missed" when placing the Pre on the Touchstone and when I woke up this morning it still had 91% juice (Had about 96% when I put it on the Touchstone....if I recall.)

What type of email accounts do you have set up? There are known issues with Hotmail and possibly others. Also, it was suggested that push is actually less power consumptive than hourly checks. I haven't tried that myself.

AIM is also a big power hog. I rely on text messages instead. You can even have some accounts direct messages to SMS text (Hotmail will has this option, with Messenger, if you are "offline.")

I generally turn off GPS, BT and Wifi, unless I'm using them.

P.S. Before I removed the Hotmail account, my Pre never lasted more than 4 hours and sometimes drew 30% power in less than an hour!

Thanks for the reply.
    I have an outlook email and gmail account both set to push. Then I keep wifi/bluetooth off because I'm never near a wifi spot. I do keep GPS services on though, mainly because I use it a lot and I'm too lazy to turn on the GPS everytime I want to use it. I didn't think it would cause that much of a battery drain though. I'm going to try the WIFI thing today, even though I still don't understand how that could help even if I don't get a WIFI signal.

The 5% loss per hour is just something I noticed when I was working and didn't get to play with my phone. I checked every hour on the dot to see how it would go down.