webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  Palm Pre and Pre Plus > Sprint update to stregthen signal?
Sprint update to stregthen signal?

Old 06/14/2009, 09:55 PM   #1 (permalink)

I just got off the phone with sprint customer service asking about roaming charges on my account. She said that roaming was free and there were no charges at all for roaming along with data, which is good for me because I get 5 bars of if I roam lol.

I mentioned that I had to roam at my house and she told me there was an "update" I could download that would let my phone know there are new towers in the area. Sounds odd to me but ill let you know what happens when the update arrives.
Integrals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/14/2009, 10:02 PM   #2 (permalink)

Go to the Phone application, then Preferences and run Update Network Settings and Update PRL.
Tikerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: redskyy
Old 06/14/2009, 10:02 PM   #3 (permalink)

In Sprints contract, although it says unlimited roaming, if you roam over 50% of the time, they have the option of canceling your contract. It's under terms and conditions.

They may not use it, but they have that option.

palandri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/14/2009, 10:04 PM   #4 (permalink)

They are talking about the PRL list. You can just start your Phone application and download your newest PRL from there. Start Phone App, click on the Sprint in the upper left hand corner, click on Prefernces, and at the bottom click on "update PRL"

No need to wait for it. To check what your current PRL is, open the phonedialer and dial ##786# . After a while a list with all kinds of info will come up. My current PRL is 60652

Hope this helps.
MannyZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: redskyy
Old 06/14/2009, 10:05 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by palandri View Post
In Sprints contract, although it says unlimited roaming, if you roam over 50% of the time, they have the option of canceling your contract. It's under terms and conditions.

They may not use it, but they have that option.
Interesting, thanks for the heads up. When I'm at work, my phone is always roaming.
ronlongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/14/2009, 10:05 PM   #6 (permalink)

I asked her about that and she said that that wasnt the case. I said "I could roam 100% of the time and it wouldn't effect my bill correct" she responded with "yes".

Somehow I believe Palandri over her though lol

Question, if they drop me would they force me to pay an early termination fee?

Another question would be if I dont have to pay that fee, is there a way to force my phone to roam (I could care less if they drop me with no expense to me, ill make a new accnt?) to get better signal more often
Old 06/14/2009, 10:11 PM   #7 (permalink)

Why don't you just get an Airave? If you call retentions and tell them you have no signal at your house, there's a good chance they will send you one for free.
Big Dookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/14/2009, 10:12 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Integrals View Post
I asked her about that and she said that that wasnt the case. I said "I could roam 100% of the time and it wouldn't effect my bill correct" she responded with "yes".

Somehow I believe Palandri over her though lol

Question, if they drop me would they force me to pay an early termination fee?
I've never read a post anywhere where Sprint has used that option. I just know that option is written in the terms and conditions. I think all carriers have it written in their terms and conditions.

What it says on the Sprint site is under Term & Conditions is:

Quote:
Off-network Roaming on Sprint Phones: Not available with single-band phones, or to customers residing outside an area covered by the Nationwide Sprint Network. Sprint may terminate service if (1) more than 800 minutes, (2) a majority of minutes or (3) a majority of data kilobytes in a given month are used while roaming. International calling, including in Canada and Mexico, is not included in plans with no roaming charges. Roaming usage may be invoiced after 30-60 days. Data services and certain calling features (Voicemail, Caller ID, Call Waiting, etc.) may not be available in all roaming areas.

Last edited by palandri; 06/14/2009 at 10:19 PM.
palandri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/14/2009, 10:17 PM   #9 (permalink)

I remember Sprint actually dropping customers that called tech support too frequently. That was a couple of years ago....can't quite remember.
MannyZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/14/2009, 10:24 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dookie View Post
Why don't you just get an Airave? If you call retentions and tell them you have no signal at your house, there's a good chance they will send you one for free.
To be honest to save the company money and most of the time sprint will give it to you but charge you monthly for the service.

I just don't want to deal with the hassle when I can roam with 5 bars, I doubt they will drop me but Ill be sure to post here crying if they do haha
Old 06/14/2009, 10:33 PM   #11 (permalink)

I was at Best Buy earlier about my Wi-Fi and an update was mentioned for low signal and no internet except over Wi-Fi.
It was on the Best Buy employee forum and it looked like it was discussing more than a PRL update.
fr4nk1yn#WN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/14/2009, 11:00 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fr4nk1yn View Post
I was at Best Buy earlier about my Wi-Fi and an update was mentioned for low signal and no internet except over Wi-Fi.
It was on the Best Buy employee forum and it looked like it was discussing more than a PRL update.
one can only hope....
Noseeums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/15/2009, 12:11 AM   #13 (permalink)

About 5 months ago Sprint did send me a letter telling me that I was using my roaming excessively and if it didn't change then they would end my contract. I called retentions and told them that Sprint's signal doesn't work in my house so I put it on strictly roam (Treo 800w); they sent me the Airave for free as well as the service for 2 years also at no cost.
janto50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by redbirdie, SynergyTI85

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0