Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    124 Global Posts
    pre dev wiki: Tethering
    How are we gonna get tethering now??....
    Im sure they're unofficially still working on it
    Developer of:

-------------------------------------
    Discuss my apps in my developer forum
    Thank goodness the internet has more then one website. Whew..........
    Global Posts
    790 Global Posts
    It's also not like it's really hard to do the iptables changes on a rooted pre anyway.
    Global Posts
    258 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dotelpenguin View Post
    it has two... YAY!
    Global Posts
    124 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dotelpenguin View Post
    yea..but don't you think they might be scared to post stuff now too?
    Ugh, what a bunch of wusses. Might as well close that whole wiki now if theyre gonna abide by everything Palm/Sprint sends them.

No offense to them, I appreciate all they've done, but did they really think Palm & Sprint was gonna like some of this stuff??

We need a cut throat iPhone-like dev community that wipes their as*es with these kinds of letters.
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    Actually, no we don't. Not initially. Palm has been extremely good with the ROM-hackers thus far, with that being the first real big thing. Essentially, anything that's not illegal they've had no issues with. I don't think that's a problem.

Right now, the ROM-hackers are essentially grey hats. I don't doubt we'll see black hats popping up, and I don't think that's too bad of a thing, but I think it IS a good thing that we have a legitimate hacking community for the Pre along side any more nefarious ones that may come up
    I don't tether, nor do I have need to tether. People obviously want tethering. Sprint currently charges people $10 a month for SprintTV and $10 a month for SprintTeleNav and they pay it. Why they don't offer tethering for $10 a month is beyond my comprehension. It's a source of revenue and I have no idea why they don't jump on it.
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

Personally, I very much support the Pre Dev Wiki position. Of course, I also edit there...so what do you expect.

Palm could go "apple" on the these startup dev groups and try to send out patches to block root access and lock down the device in other ways. They could also be sending out cease and desist letters to anyone talking about Pre hacking and threatening them with legal action (and bills). Instead, they have been *very* cool so far...and I think that it's only fair that we are cool back.

Seriously, they are aware of the Pre Dev Wiki and their only complaint is the tethering discussion...and only because of Sprint? Very cool in my book.
    IIIx -> Tungsten T -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p -> Launch day Pre
    I think the Pre hacker community wants Palm on their side. Palm has not been against hacking of the Pre so far. It could have been a situation more like the PSP, where Sony continually does everything they can to prevent all hacking. If the Pre hacking community were to have a complete disregard for Palm I wouldn't be surprised if we saw Palm starting to act more like Sony.
    Like others have said, if this is all Palm has issues with back off of it until Sprint exclusivity runs out. Palm could start patching updates to prevent hackers, slowing down real updates we need. So instead they back off, make Sprint happy, which makes Palm happy, which keeps Palm from having to focus efforts on stopping them. Which again takes away from real things they could put their time into.
    Give the people what they want. I'm not sure why tethering is the issue at hand, when it's a small piece of what's being done by the hacking community.
    Global Posts
    790 Global Posts
    Palm won't be able to lock everything down without locking themselves out. I don't think we have much to worry about and there's really not much of anything they can do short of removing the device from the market (which they're not likely to do) to prevent the hacking.
    Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by papla View Post
    pre dev wiki: Tethering
    How are we gonna get tethering now??....
    We need someone to start a petition to Sprint! Whos going to organize and do it?
    Out of the many things this is all they seem to have a problem with then it's not to bad. I don't need this since I have a data card anyway but I still don't think it's to bad.
    Again.. This confuses me. The phones base OS is Linux with a "fancy" shell that should make it all fall under the GNU(?).
    While Sprint may have a problem with it, maybe tethering or modifying a phone is somwhow in violation of THEIR terms it can't be Palm's position(?). Or am I misunderstanfing GNU?
    and if that happened then Palm would be forced to react against the people running the IRC channel and this wiki.
    This sounds confusing to me..... 'react' how? I'm not confident they have much in terms of legals grounds to go on... are they going to try to shutdown a wiki which is essentially extracting and changing a file publicly distributed by Palm?

Or does 'react' mean change the code to make this work harder?
    What I don't get is, WHY does Sprint have such a big problem with tethering?

They sell EVDO data cards, so it's not like their network can't handle it. Wouldn't tethering through the Pre be equivalent to an EVDO data card when it comes to impact on their network?

If they're worried about people using too much bandwidth, then can set a cap of a few GB monthly. If I tether I'd only do it when on vacation, and even then use very little bandwidth. I doubt I'd even get close to using a gig even that month.

What exactly is their worry? And it's not just Sprint; AT&T is pulling the same crap with the iPhone.
    Global Posts
    124 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zorinlynx View Post
    What I don't get is, WHY does Sprint have such a big problem with tethering?

They sell EVDO data cards, so it's not like their network can't handle it. Wouldn't tethering through the Pre be equivalent to an EVDO data card when it comes to impact on their network?

If they're worried about people using too much bandwidth, then can set a cap of a few GB monthly. If I tether I'd only do it when on vacation, and even then use very little bandwidth. I doubt I'd even get close to using a gig even that month.

What exactly is their worry? And it's not just Sprint; AT&T is pulling the same crap with the iPhone.
    yea..i wish i knew the answer to your questions
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast