Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Heres the link to the Thread about the Hard Snap on case I am using. From Best Buy. If you go to bestbuy.com and type pre case you will see it also.

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...-palm-pre.html

Quote Originally Posted by rlanza1054 View Post
    So the question now is what is the best skin or case for the Pre. I always had those rubberized skins which protected my Treo650 from all the drops it had.

I ordered a skin but I don't think it's one of the heavy rubberized skins.

Someone mentioned a hard case, can you post a link so I can look at it.

Thanks!

Rob
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenOctober View Post
    Ordered a hard case for it the next day, as the thing is slippery, I see it sliding out of my hands frequently.
    Yes, I really wish the Pre had a grommet in the case for a wrist strap.
    Quote Originally Posted by sir_mycroft View Post
    Thought I was being humorous. Whatever...

Pics: Of the scuff, proof "of life," offending concrete and vehicle...

I am not sure what these prove besides I have a crappy point and shoot, but there you go.

*Puts 911 operator on hold*

That's cell phone abuse if I ever saw it. You're going away for a looong time... Maniac! :P

That sucks though. The problem with such beautiful devices is that every little imperfection shows .
  4.    #44  
    Quote Originally Posted by ellianth View Post
    *Puts 911 operator on hold*

That's cell phone abuse if I ever saw it. You're going away for a looong time... Maniac! :P

That sucks though. The problem with such beautiful devices is that every little imperfection shows .
    You know, after looking at those pics again, it looks far less painful in person. Onviously I will always know the dings are there, but unless I pointed it out to someone, you could never tell.

The concrete looks the same, though.
    VisorPhone Clone
    (Please do not thank me - I find it scary)
    Global Posts
    184 Global Posts
    I dropped mune 3ft to a tile floor. Bottom right corner is cracked with a hairline crack extending to within 1/4 inch of the button. I put a little CA glue in the crack, it hasn't grown. Phone works perfectly, passed all self tests.
    Good to hear that not every Pre is as fragile as it could be - mine sustained its first drop a few days ago. Had it out showing it to a friend and I missed my belt case. About 4 feet onto tile, slider closed. No damage, no scratches, no issues.
    Palm III -> Palm M100 -> Palm VII -> Tmobile MDA (The 3 year mistake) -> Palm Pre

Hello, Palm. Good to have you back. Let's just pretend that the whole "me leaving you for WinMo" thing never happened, OK?
    Quote Originally Posted by KnightZero77 View Post
    Good to hear that not every Pre is as fragile as it could be - mine sustained its first drop a few days ago. Had it out showing it to a friend and I missed my belt case. About 4 feet onto tile, slider closed. No damage, no scratches, no issues.
    I've never thought of the Pre as quite so fragile as some others seem to think. Plastic is used in so many things not just because it's relatively inexpensive but also, and in many cases more so, because it's light, strong, and durable. Certainly, a plastic screen is less susceptible to catastrophic failure (i.e., shattering) and even cracking (some isolated cases aside) than glass. I'm sure Palm took all of this into consideration when designing the Pre, so its inherent ability to take a fall doesn't surprise me at all.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by quahtrader View Post
    I don't know. I see a pic of the pre, the car, and the concrete - but where is the pic of the supposed suit coat!
    Yeah! Exactly what kind of 'suit' was it anyway? *raises eyebrow*

But seriously, I'm glad its still working, and that it wasn't raining or anything. After all the tales of cracked screens, its nice to see one thats the opposite.
    Mobi·gas·mic!
    That pic of the concrete is photoshopped. If you look close the grooves do not match the dents on the pre. I also checked the air pressure rating for the tires of that car. No way he'd be 4 feet off the ground. I'm calling fake.

I kid of course.
    great news!
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    I replaced my BB Pearl with the Pre. As I was paranoid about all the data I had on my Pearl, I decided to (literally) destroy the Pearl. The BBs are built like tanks as I had to throw the thing onto the ground about 10 times before it even sustained slight damage (except for a few screen scuffs). I know for a fact that the Palm would fall apart after one throw onto hard concrete (not that I would ever do that). I wish the Palm was constructed half as good as my BB was.
    Global Posts
    133 Global Posts
    I wonder how many of these people who are dropping stuff all the time have babies? I mean come on, pull your head out and pay attention to what you are doing. Oh, and while you're at it, stop texting while driving. LOL
    Quote Originally Posted by jweiner View Post
    I replaced my BB Pearl with the Pre. As I was paranoid about all the data I had on my Pearl, I decided to (literally) destroy the Pearl. The BBs are built like tanks as I had to throw the thing onto the ground about 10 times before it even sustained slight damage (except for a few screen scuffs). I know for a fact that the Palm would fall apart after one throw onto hard concrete (not that I would ever do that). I wish the Palm was constructed half as good as my BB was.
    Couldn't you just have kept it in a drawer as a backup??!
    Mobi·gas·mic!
    23 Posts
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    The new back cover that comes with the Touchtone has a more textured gripping surface. Aside from how incredibly cool the Touchstone is, it must help keep it in my pocket too.
    Global Posts
    660 Global Posts
    Dropped mine about 6 hrs after purchase on launch day. I was shining it up with a microfiber cloth when it slipped and it took a hard hit onto tile floor. Got a small crack on lower left corner but works fine. Waiting for a few more dings and hopefully an improved harware revision before I use my TEP to get a new one. Truth is if the Sprint store would have had the TS kit in stock it never would have slipped. The phone has been much grippier since I put the TS back cover on it. I would definitely recommend that everyone get this back cover even if you dont plan to get the TS.
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    1. Hey! Welcome to the forums!
    2. Your topic has actually been addressed already. It's best do to a search for an existing thread to post in instead of starting a new thread.
    3. [Report the thread so a mod can merge it]
    4. Here's the thread for your topic:

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...drop-test.html
    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...your-drop.html
    I was demo'ing my Pre to an overly enthusiastic colleague at work today. He tried to grab it out of my hand, but instead sent it flying across the room! We both screamed in horror. Fortunately, it initially landed on a rug, bounced a couple times, then skidded over the tile floor ~5 ft. It had a minor scuff on the top, but nothing cracked or broken. Seems to be working fine. He was impressed with the build quality!!!
    I was demo'ing my Pre to an overly enthusiastic colleague at work today. He tried to grab it out of my hand, but instead sent it flying across the room! We both screamed in horror. Fortunately, it initially landed on a rug, bounced a couple times, then skidded over the tile floor ~5 ft. It had a minor scuff on the top, but nothing cracked or broken. Seems to be working fine. He was impressed with the build quality!!! I challenged him to try that with his glass screen iPhone, but he politely declined!
    I dropped mine for the first time today. About 3 feet or so down to the sidewalk in front of my office. I freaked a bit on the inside, but was relieved when I took it out of the case that came with the Pre. No damage. Whew. I'm really trying to baby this phone more than I ever did with any other phone. That is not so easy to do b/c my 4 yr old and 2 yr old sons see that Daddy has a new toy and they want to play with it.
    Qualcomm QCP 2700 -> ... Palm m125 ... -> Instinct -> Palm Pre

I tweet a lot about the Pre! @bshedwick
    Given that you all wanted pictorial proof of the OP's reporting, you might also have trouble believing my story: I had the pre for less that 2 hours, when the thing slipped out of my hands like a fish! It dropped onto concrete from more or less "reading height" while I was standing. I'm 6'2" tall, so this was likely somewhere between 3-4' above the surface. The concrete looks just like the OP's picture, but in my case, there was not even a scratch! When I picked up the Pre from the concrete floor, the screen was black and a moment later, I could see that the device had reset itself (perhaps the battery momentarily lost contact during impact). I was a bit relieved when the reset finished and the device wa fully operational!

I am a bit concerned about the reports of breakage in people's front pockets, but I'm living proof and report #2, that when this litte rivers stone pops out of your hand like a fish, the result will often be not as bad as what you might expect.

--
    Bob
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast