Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Dropped mine last night. Slipped out of my hand, 3-4 feet onto concrete. Tiny little scratch on one corner and that's it. Screen was still on even, the software responded like nothing happened. I'm thinking I got really lucky too.
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seahawks80 View Post
    I had the exact opposite scenario with my first Pre. I rarely drop or mishandle phones, but I dropped my first Pre from about 4 feet high onto berber carpet at work. No scuffs at all on the phone, which was lucky for me, since the touchscreen was non-functional after the drop! The phone was having reception issues as well, and also some light bleeding on the screen, so it was going to be returned anyway. But I picked up insurance on my second Pre after seeing how a drop onto a carpeted surface incapacitated my first one
    Hey seahawks, did you return to the sprint store? and if so did you have your receipt? i think i lost mine, although i do have the box. did you pay anything for your replacement? im worried my screen is lifting from the phone a little bit because of the fall it took. and also the volume rocker fell off. i hope they replace it w/o hassle....
  3.    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by cashen View Post
    Are you going to use a skin now?

I was a total cheap a$$ before now, but i'm using a skin and i got insurance.
    No. Now it is like the first scratch on a new car - I can relax and stop obsessing.
    VisorPhone Clone
    (Please do not thank me - I find it scary)
    Wow, all these stories have me feeling better after reading the "OMG, my screen is cracked" thread. Juuust out of curiosity OP, what is your build date? (##786# then see "Warranty Date Code")
    sir_mycroft, I think that concrete pic is going to be my new background.
    Thats why I got a hard case for my PRE. Skins are ok for scratches but a fall will not help much. I dropped my Centro with a hard case more than I care to say. Never a issue. One case cracked but the Centro never got a scratch. For an everyday phone skins are great but for a $500 phone that is hard to get and indespensible to my everyday life , A hard snap on case is King!

Sir MyCroft , Pics were never needed , youve been here forever and no one should have doubted ya. WHo would lie that they dropped there pre?? Anyways the pic showing the cement is rather hilarious.
    Quote Originally Posted by drezilla View Post
    Hey seahawks, did you return to the sprint store? and if so did you have your receipt? i think i lost mine, although i do have the box. did you pay anything for your replacement? im worried my screen is lifting from the phone a little bit because of the fall it took. and also the volume rocker fell off. i hope they replace it w/o hassle....
    I did return mine to a Sprint Store, but since mine was dropped onto carpet, there were no scuffs, scratches, or any other way to tell that it was dropped. I just showed them the frozen screen, and they accepted the return without a problem (didn't have a replacement for me, so I had to wait a few days for that). If there are scuffs on the phone though, it might be a tougher return. If there are noticeable scrapes/scuffs near where the rocker switch fell off, I think they'll chalk that up to abuse and not accept a return.

I'm not sure if Sprint's total equipment protection program covers physical damage. If it does, I think you have 30 days to add that insurance to your phone. You can add the insurance, wait a couple of days, and then file a claim for a replacement. You'd need to pay a deductible for the replacement, but it beats a defective phone if you can't return it outright. You could also get a Squaretrade warranty, which covers accidental damage, and then file a claim with them. I don't think they have a deductible. You'd just be out the cost of the insurance plan.
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    BTW, using a highly sophisticated equipment, I was able to see that sir_mycroft was not lying when he dropped his phone. I was able to look at the indentations on the Palm Pre and match those with the concrete foundation and was able to establish that they all lined up perfectly.
    This thread is funny...from the pics to kona2day's response, I wonder what's next.?
    Boy is that painful to see. I like my invisibleshield .
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sir_mycroft View Post
    From 4 feet onto concrete.

My exactly week old Pre slipped out of my suit-coat when I pulled it out from the car. I saw that the coat was inverted right before I saw the phone fall (Matrix-like slow-mo).

It's o.k.!

Apart fron a slight scuff on the lower right corner, everything is just fine. Successful drop test. May you not have to do the same.
    I believe you. I dropped mine today from 3-4 feet, though it was in the baggy thing that came w/the phone. As far as I can tell, no damage whatsoever.

Why some think you would lie about this, is beyond me.

Cheers
    Quote Originally Posted by sir_mycroft View Post
    Thought I was being humorous. Whatever...

Pics: Of the scuff, proof "of life," offending concrete and vehicle...

I am not sure what these prove besides I have a crappy point and shoot, but there you go.
    BOOYAAAAH SUCKERS!!! Sir I never doubted your story from the moment I read it!! Although your pics are both painful to look at and hilarious, especially the one of the concrete, lmao!!!
    Sincerely,

Dwight Shrute
    Based on those photos, it looks like the pre *was* damaged. It appears to have turned into a PalmPilot 1000 or 5000. Check out that green screen!
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    My wife's Pre slipped out of her purse as she was fishing for her keys. About 4 feet onto a concrete step. It was in it's slip cover and there was no damage, it works fine. Whew.
    I don't know. I see a pic of the pre, the car, and the concrete - but where is the pic of the supposed suit coat!
    So the question now is what is the best skin or case for the Pre. I always had those rubberized skins which protected my Treo650 from all the drops it had.

I ordered a skin but I don't think it's one of the heavy rubberized skins.

Someone mentioned a hard case, can you post a link so I can look at it.

Thanks!

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    That's crazy that it only got that sort of damage from that drop. My old iPhone experienced a similar drop and it ended up looking like this:

Attached Images Attached Images
    I accidentally knocked mine off my desk, fell 3 feet onto a concrete floor with carpet tiles. Wouldn't power back up, I thought I had killed the poor thing on the second day I had it, but pulling the battery and putting it back in brought it back to life. Ordered a hard case for it the next day, as the thing is slippery, I see it sliding out of my hands frequently.
  19.    #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by ericshmerick View Post
    Wow, all these stories have me feeling better after reading the "OMG, my screen is cracked" thread. Juuust out of curiosity OP, what is your build date? (##786# then see "Warranty Date Code")
    5/26/09

Hey! That is my 40th birthday!
    VisorPhone Clone
  20.    #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by kona2day View Post
    BTW, using a highly sophisticated equipment, I was able to see that sir_mycroft was not lying when he dropped his phone. I was able to look at the indentations on the Palm Pre and match those with the concrete foundation and was able to establish that they all lined up perfectly.
    CSI Treocentral
    VisorPhone Clone
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast