Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    362 Global Posts
    It appears to me that the Airave is making my Pre's GPS receiver think it's about 200 miles northwest of where it really is.

When I'm home, the GPS incorrectly thinks I'm in San Angelo. When I'm on the road, the GPS correctly thinks I'm in Austin.

So I did an experiment. I get reception from Sprint's main towers in one corner of my house. With the Airave on, that corner is in San Angelo. When I turn the Airave off, that corner is in Austin. Turning the Airave back on again, the corner goes back to San Angelo.

Is anyone else having the problem? Maybe Airave tech support can fix it.

PROBLEM SOLVED

RickNY explains what's going on in this post below. The problem is that the Pre is getting its first location fix from cell towers, NOT from the GPS, and the Airave is messing up that initial fix. Go to a place where the Pre's GPS can itself get a fix (like next to a window), and it then registers the correct location. Thank you RickNY!
    Last edited by jtlapp; 06/14/2009 at 07:22 PM. Reason: changed "screws up" to "screwing up," since other people seem fine
    Doesn't happen to me. Been using the Airave every day and the Pre's GPS pinpoints me correctly.

That's pretty weird...
    Global Posts
    362 Global Posts
    I just read this in the Airave FAQ:

Why does the AIRAVE require Global Positioning System (GPS) technology?
    Sprint AIRAVE uses GPS for network synchronization and device location information required for 911.
    Oh great. This is my only phone.
    I suggest you call 911, make some screaming noises, and then wait for the news story about a guy in Austin suing the police for breaking down his door for no reason.
    Global Posts
    362 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackFlag77 View Post
    I suggest you call 911, make some screaming noises, and then wait for the news story about a guy in Austin suing the police for breaking down his door for no reason.
    Ha! That's funny if you replace "Austin" with "San Angelo," since I'm in Austin but the Pre thinks it's in San Angelo.
    Oops. You got the idea though
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    that is not good. It's not that the airave is messing with the pre's gps, it's that the airave's gps is messed up. the airave is supposed to know where it is, and apparently it thinks it's in the wrong spot. make sure the airave's gps receiver is in a good spot. perhaps give it more time to get a fix?
    neathings - neatˇthings and apps for webOS
    Global Posts
    362 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pomokey View Post
    that is not good. It's not that the airave is messing with the pre's gps, it's that the airave's gps is messed up. the airave is supposed to know where it is, and apparently it thinks it's in the wrong spot. make sure the airave's gps receiver is in a good spot. perhaps give it more time to get a fix?
    Prior to today's testing the thing had been on for days. The GPS antenna is in a south-facing window, but there's another house 30 feet away. The Airave really shouldn't indicate GPS lock if it has too few satellites to triangulate.

But you could still be right. I'm trying to reach tech support. Thx!
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    i am having the same problem with the gps and the airave
    Global Posts
    319 Global Posts
    It is not that the GPS is screwed up.. The problem is, when many apps such as Google Maps or Sprint Navigation first start up, they use triangulation of the cell towers to get your initial fix. When tied to an Airave, that triangulation comes up with a bizzare location that is usually nowhere near where you actually are. That's probably because the Airave is probably registered in the location database according to where the Sprint data center is that handles the VPN connection for your particular Airave. In my case, I am on Eastern Long Island in New York -- the Pre (and also my Curve prior) initially showed my location in Whitestone, Queens -- about 65 miles east of me.

However -- once your GPS in the phone can get a fix on its own, the location should update properly. This may or may not happen -- GPS needs a view of the sky, some GPS chipsets are better than others when trying to 'see' through objects such as a roof. If you bring your phone over to a window or just outside your door and give it a few minutes, it should get the GPS coordinates on its own.

Also, it should be noted that as long as the blue GPS light is lit on the Airave, it DOES have a valid fix on your location -- and it will provide that if you place a call through the Airave to 911. The problem you are seeing is that the Airave doesn't SHARE its GPS fix with phones that are connected to it. I seem to recall a Sprint document somewhere that detailed how the GPS location of the Airave was not available to phone applications that use GPS, but I dont know where it is at the moment.

Hope that clears it up.
    Global Posts
    362 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RickNY View Post
    It is not that the GPS is screwed up.. The problem is, when many apps such as Google Maps or Sprint Navigation first start up, they use triangulation of the cell towers to get your initial fix. When tied to an Airave, that triangulation comes up with a bizzare location that is usually nowhere near where you actually are. That's probably because the Airave is probably registered in the location database according to where the Sprint data center is that handles the VPN connection for your particular Airave. In my case, I am on Eastern Long Island in New York -- the Pre (and also my Curve prior) initially showed my location in Whitestone, Queens -- about 65 miles east of me.

However -- once your GPS in the phone can get a fix on its own, the location should update properly. This may or may not happen -- GPS needs a view of the sky, some GPS chipsets are better than others when trying to 'see' through objects such as a roof. If you bring your phone over to a window or just outside your door and give it a few minutes, it should get the GPS coordinates on its own.

Also, it should be noted that as long as the blue GPS light is lit on the Airave, it DOES have a valid fix on your location -- and it will provide that if you place a call through the Airave to 911. The problem you are seeing is that the Airave doesn't SHARE its GPS fix with phones that are connected to it. I seem to recall a Sprint document somewhere that detailed how the GPS location of the Airave was not available to phone applications that use GPS, but I dont know where it is at the moment.

Hope that clears it up.
    Thank you! You are correct! I walked over to a window and within a minute it registered my correct location. So the problem is that the phone is not using the GPS for it's initial fix, contrary to the title of this thread. I better post a clearification in the OP. Thanks again!
    Also, the passage about the Airave requiring a GPS is because it has an internal GPS, not only for the stated reason but to prevent you from using it in another country.
    Does the airave need the gps antenna hooked up? I am having problems using my phones locational services (googl, etc) because of the airave.
    Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    Same problem happens to me. I thought I was crazy, every time I was home, using the Airave it kept telling me, when I tried to use BlockChalk, that I was in San Angelo. Very strange. I wonder where we could submit a bug report for this.
    Just turn off google services and you should all be fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by jtlapp View Post
    It appears to me that the Airave is making my Pre's GPS receiver think it's about 200 miles northwest of where it really is.

When I'm home, the GPS incorrectly thinks I'm in San Angelo. When I'm on the road, the GPS correctly thinks I'm in Austin.

So I did an experiment. I get reception from Sprint's main towers in one corner of my house. With the Airave on, that corner is in San Angelo. When I turn the Airave off, that corner is in Austin. Turning the Airave back on again, the corner goes back to San Angelo.

Is anyone else having the problem? Maybe Airave tech support can fix it.

PROBLEM SOLVED

RickNY explains what's going on in this post below. The problem is that the Pre is getting its first location fix from cell towers, NOT from the GPS, and the Airave is messing up that initial fix. Go to a place where the Pre's GPS can itself get a fix (like next to a window), and it then registers the correct location. Thank you RickNY!
    I live in the DFW area, but when at home, my Pre thinks it's in San Angelo as well. Maybe sometime when we're both home, we can meet up for lunch

Seriously, glad you found the answer. It's just "one of those things".
    Same here. GPS has me somewhere near Tampa and I'm in Orlando roughly 100 miles away. Likewise thanks for the research!!!
    Phones in Family pre> pre> pre> Centro> Rant
    <phew> I was afraid that I had somehow mysteriously moved from Long Island to <shudder> New Jersey. Silly Pre. Don't scare me like that again...
    --
    Palm Pilot - Palm III - Palm V - Sprint Treo 600 - Treo 650 - Treo 755p - Pre - 2.1.0 Pre w/ Uberkernel
    Sinclair 1000 - Apple ][+ - C64 - Apple //e - PowerBook 100 - Mac SE - Dell PC - Acer AspireOne - 11" MacBook Air
    On your phone go to Location Services, then select Preferences, then Locate Me Using..., then make sure GPS is selected instead of Use Google Services.
    Did this and problem went away.
    Cheers
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fa18flyr View Post
    On your phone go to Location Services, then select Preferences, then Locate Me Using..., then make sure GPS is selected instead of Use Google Services.
    Did this and problem went away.
    Cheers
    actually, it appears as though google has fixed this recently. google maps, sprint nav, and any app that uses location services now works just fine while connected to the airave, and I have both google services and gps enabled.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast