1.    #1  
    Alright,

I've read the threads that say WiFi uses less power (and thus better batter life) than EVDO. Out of curiousity more than anything, when WiFi is available, does all data (like SMS/MMS, Google Sync, etc) move over the WiFi connection, or is it just active transfers like web browsing?"
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    Pretty sure it's everything. When WiFi is on and you're connected, The EVDO logo on top goes away, but all the data apps work fine.
    Sprint Pre user since June 2009. Previously a long time Treo user (600, 650, 700p and 755p). Will probably be changing to Android or iPhone if Sprint does not offer Pre3.
    Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    My Pre definitely uses WiFi when on and available over a Sprint data connection. But I've also seen it automatically switch back to EVDO when the WiFi signal got flaky. Very cool.

I don't see how SMS/MMS would work over WiFi though since that's a Sprint network thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by musk View Post
    My Pre definitely uses WiFi when on and available over a Sprint data connection. But I've also seen it automatically switch back to EVDO when the WiFi signal got flaky. Very cool.

I don't see how SMS/MMS would work over WiFi though since that's a Sprint network thing.
    SMS will only go over Sprint's network but MMS will go over Wifi if available.
    Phone history with Sprint since April 2001: Kyocera QCP-2035, LG Touchpoint 1100, Samsung i500, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Treo 755p, HTC Mogul, Blackberry 8830, Samsung A900M, Motorola ic902, Blackberry Curve 8330, Samsung Instinct, HTC Touch, Treo 800w, Touch Diamond, Touch Pro, Motorola i9, Treo Pro (personal)/Iphone 3G 16GB (gone to make room for Pre), Palm Pre, blackberry tour, iPhone 3GS 32GB
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    Do you have a source for this?
    Sprint Pre user since June 2009. Previously a long time Treo user (600, 650, 700p and 755p). Will probably be changing to Android or iPhone if Sprint does not offer Pre3.
    Quote Originally Posted by baai View Post
    It is from anandtech.com, a well respected tech site. Anand posted a short preview addressing some Pre/iPhone hardware comparisons as he is still working on a full Pre review.
    Global Posts
    145 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by baai View Post
    AnandTech
    Okay, this looks like the appropriate place to ask this... those of you who use WiFi, do you have any major power drain by leaving it turned on all the time? If it uses only a trickle while it looks for access points, I'd happily leave WiFi on at all times just to grab onto the couple networks I'm around a lot.
    I leave mine on all the time. Since locking the screen seems to shut down the wifi connection anyway I dont think there is much downside to keeping it enabled.
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bryanharig View Post
    I leave mine on all the time. Since locking the screen seems to shut down the wifi connection anyway I dont think there is much downside to keeping it enabled.
    Yep, same with me. I think the only downside is that when the screen is on and you're actively using the device with EVDO, it's probably using a small of amount of juice to periodically check for WiFi hotspots - though I would guess the usage is negligible.