Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    It seems like Sprint Navigation does everything that Google Maps does plus more. Is there a reason why I would use Google Maps and not Sprint Nav?
    There is no spoon
    If they added Sprint Navi to Universal Search, I probably wouldn't use Google Maps. As it is, I use it for quick location searches that I'm not going to navigate to immediately.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    To look at a given place that you are NOT in. Also, I use it to get a total overview of a trip.
    Quote Originally Posted by BMIC50 View Post
    To look at a given place that you are NOT in. Also, I use it to get a total overview of a trip.
    This is a big reason. I was three hours away from my destination the other day and couldnt get the Sprint Navigation program to show the whole rout.
    Of course, the great thing about the Pre is that you don't have to choose. Just have both of them open at the same time.
    I use google maps WAY MORE than Sprint navigation. Im really good with directions...so I just look at the map once and remember the way there. Better than having my battery dying all the way to my destination.

plus it gives me traffic all in one view.
    IMO, Google Maps on the Pre sucks big time. There's just no options. You cant even do a "search nearby". Do you know how handy that little feature is?? Its crazy they left that off. Thats basically a staple of Google Maps.

Also, no Google Latitude (location tracking) support either. Bah.
    Im not fully satisfied with this google map version. Coming from the windows mobile google maps, this one is missing a lot of useful features, especially transit information, which i use quite a bit, i hope that gets added soon, along with search nearby, and walking directions.
    Global Posts
    747 Global Posts
    can you search local place names like you can in google maps?

i was driving today looking for this place I was meeting a few friends at, typed the name in sprintnav and nothing happened. typed it in googlemaps and got mapped right there.

edit: holycrap, you can.well, i guess i have no need for google maps beyond looking for local curiosities
    Last edited by Stihl; 06/14/2009 at 04:32 PM.
    Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Knee Dragger View Post
    It seems like Sprint Navigation does everything that Google Maps does plus more. Is there a reason why I would use Google Maps and not Sprint Nav?
    use whatever you like best. I will not be using sprint nav when I get my pre, because I won't be getting the pre from sprint.
    Quote Originally Posted by peestandingup View Post
    IMO, Google Maps on the Pre sucks big time. There's just no options. You cant even do a "search nearby". Do you know how handy that little feature is?? Its crazy they left that off. Thats basically a staple of Google Maps.

Also, no Google Latitude (location tracking) support either. Bah.
    That sounds like a pretty sparse version. The WM and iPhone versions all have those capabilities.
    Quote Originally Posted by diyeiogt View Post
    Im not fully satisfied with this google map version. Coming from the windows mobile google maps, this one is missing a lot of useful features, especially transit information, which i use quite a bit, i hope that gets added soon, along with search nearby, and walking directions.
    Yeah, I forgot about walking directions & transit stuff too too. WTF?? This is useless to anyone who doesnt drive their car everywhere.

Are they gonna leave this the way it is?? I sure as hell hope not. Sprint Nav is awesome, but for a lot of random day to day stuff, its kinda overkill.

Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    That sounds like a pretty sparse version. The WM and iPhone versions all have those capabilities.
    EVERY version of Google Maps basically has this. WHich is why its such a "WTF" move.
    Quote Originally Posted by Knee Dragger View Post
    I actually like the Sprint nav better than Google maps. Seems like it has more functionality.
    Yeah, I forgot about walking directions & transit stuff too too. WTF?? This is useless to anyone who doesnt drive their car everywhere.

Are they gonna leave this the way it is?? I sure as hell hope not. Sprint Nav is awesome, but for a lot of random day to day stuff, its kinda overkill.

EVERY version of Google Maps basically has this. WHich is why its such a "WTF" move.
    Yeah that kind of annoys me...but Google seems to be all about the Pre so I would expect quick updates.
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    i like googlemaps better. i think sprint nav duplicates googlemaps.
    You cant even do a "search nearby". Do you know how handy that little feature is?? Its crazy they left that off. Thats basically a staple of Google Maps.
    Am I not understanding you? "Search nearby" is already built into Synergy. Just try typing in "pizza" or "starbucks" in synergy and click google maps. It automatically defaults to nearby locations.

You can just as easily launch google maps and type in any keyword and google maps searches for nearby locations.

What am I missing here?
    Quote Originally Posted by creativemeat View Post
    Am I not understanding you? "Search nearby" is already built into Synergy. Just try typing in "pizza" or "starbucks" in synergy and click google maps. It automatically defaults to nearby locations.

You can just as easily launch google maps and type in any keyword and google maps searches for nearby locations.

What am I missing here?
    Because I dont always wanna search what's nearby me at the time. I may have an address in Google Maps that could be hundreds of miles away (or just on the other side of town) & I can search whats nearby a specific address of my choosing.
    Because I dont always wanna search what's nearby me at the time. I may have an address in Google Maps that could be hundreds of miles away (or just on the other side of town) & I can search whats nearby a specific address of my choosing.
    You can search what's nearby other locations in the Pre's Google Maps. For example, you could type "pizza near Madison, WI" in the address bar no matter where you are.
  19. GFS
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    i like to walk up and down my hall way and watch the little blue dot freak out.
    When mapping via google maps or sprint nav, does it give you an option to avoid routes like mapquest does? I normally prefer yahoo maps (tho I dont like the new interface, the old dial up verison was SO much better) but when I want to avoid a street or highway I have always relied on mapquest.
    The value of knowledge is not in its possession, but in its use.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast