Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    I like google maps to see the entire route, have an overview of where I'm going and to be able to see steps ahead where I'm going which sprint nav doesn't seem to do.

I am disappointed the directions feature for google maps though.

Frankly, I'll probably default to google maps. I don't typically need step by step instructions but sprint nav is pretty slick. I think keeping it open in the background while using google maps would be ideal for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by bpdamas View Post
    I concur. I was incorrect about it. Apparently incorrect enough to be considered a troll. I wasn't trying to spark up something, just pointing out that google maps on the Pre is definitely not on par with what are on other phones. No matter. I feel like this will updated just as quickly as the other versions out there and we won't have to worry about it soon.

All that being said, as soon as it is updated, I feel that it still will be necessary to have for all of the functions we are all wanting.
    Worst apology ever.
    Quote Originally Posted by clipcarl View Post
    Worst apology ever.
    Could be that I wasn't apologizing, just simply admitting I was incorrect.
    Global Posts
    198 Global Posts
    I like google maps better. A lot of times I know my way around...I just don't know where a store is. I would rather see the surrounding streets because A) PARKING...when can you park right in front of a store in Miami and B) Traffic on local streets. I'll take google maps everyday...
    Phone: 700p > Pre
    PMP: Archos 605 (30GB) and iPod Touch (16GB)
    Has anybody else noticed when you tap on an address in your contacts, it takes you directly to Google Maps? So yes, I say it's necessary.
    Stop *****in, Android just added those feature to there version of google maps as we speak and how long has Android been out? I'm talking about yesterday 15 Jun as of article found on Engadget.
    Last edited by kinster02; 06/16/2009 at 11:04 AM. Reason: more info
    Global Posts
    379 Global Posts
    Personily I think both programs are useful, I don't have a pre and I dont have sprint nav any longer, actuay I never had it, I used telenav which is the same program.
    The buggest problem with Google maps is that some of the streets are named wrong, and if you are going to a particular place and it happens to be on the wrongly named street thats a problem.
    The thing I liked about Telenav is that the maps where updated pretty regularly so they stayed way current, the only reason I got rid of it is because I live in an area where I travel out of phone service often and it just wasnt useful for me all the time, I went with Garmin for WM, but I do use Google maps for several things, the big plus for Google maps even over live search is it is fast and simple, just way easy at least on WM.
    Terry
    Global Posts
    270 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bpdamas View Post
    Well I don't think you really understand what I am saying. Let's imagine this. You are downtown in an office working. You would like to go get something to eat for lunch. You know north of your location is the best place to find some restaurants. You don't really know what you are in the mood for but would like to see your choices. If anything jumps out at you, you will probably explore that option when you see it. Google maps on the pre does not reallly let you do this. You can definitely search near a zip code like you stated early. For instance, search "food near (zip code)". Unfortunately, since there are approximately 30 or more zip codes in a 10 mile radius, you can't really choose a zip code to narrow down your choices without memorizing all of them.

Boy, I wish google maps had an option for you to pan around on a map, click on the screen, and select search nearby. That way you would not even have to know the zip code. Wait a sec. It used to on my old 800w.

I think this is what myself and some others are talking about in why google maps is no where close to what the old versions were. It will be.......but not yet.
    I hear what you are saying and this is not intended as an "excuse," but the Where application is set up to work with Google Maps. If you GPS locate yourself within the Where app (found in app catalog) and bring up the list of nearby restaurants with YP (yellow pages) or Yelp, you can chose one that interests you and select to show it on Google Maps. Some card switching to view different choices, but it is nearly painless.

Also, as someone mentioned several messages ago, Google is all over working with WebOS. I have no doubt that a full featured Google Maps is in our future - near future? I don't know, but I'm sure they are busy working on it.
    Last edited by cooneyca; 06/16/2009 at 09:55 PM.
    Global Posts
    225 Global Posts
    The combination of Where and Google Maps on my Pre was a life-saver (or rather phone saver) the other day. I was on a business trip and realized that I had forgotten my USB cord to charge my Pre. Even with good battery life, my Pre was not going to last the trip. So, I got on Where and entered Radio Shack. It found one within walking distance of my hotel. I clicked on the map and was taken to Google Maps and got directions from my current location. I then went outside and followed the blue ball right to the store. Thank you Pre, Where and Google Maps!
  10. mg3
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxGator View Post
    I like google maps to see the entire route, have an overview of where I'm going and to be able to see steps ahead where I'm going which sprint nav doesn't seem to do.

I am disappointed the directions feature for google maps though.

Frankly, I'll probably default to google maps. I don't typically need step by step instructions but sprint nav is pretty slick. I think keeping it open in the background while using google maps would be ideal for me.
    I totally understand the Gmaps vs Sprint Navi dilemma. But although against my nature, i checked out the user guide for Sprint Navi and there are a lot of features that are available.

For example the "whole trip view" and "traffic view" are both available if you:

Click "Drive to" > click the map portion of the screen > click "Trip & Traffic Summary" > click the "Map" tab at the top.

P.S. I used google maps all the time on my old sprint phone and am waiting for the functionality to be added to the Pre version
    Quote Originally Posted by diyeiogt View Post
    Im not fully satisfied with this google map version. Coming from the windows mobile google maps, this one is missing a lot of useful features, especially transit information, which i use quite a bit, i hope that gets added soon, along with search nearby, and walking directions.
    I'm not sure what you mean about "search nearby" being missing. I do a search on Google Maps and it does, indeed, show me nearby locations...

I do kind of miss Street View, though.
    Global Posts
    75 Global Posts
    [QUOTE=wynand32;1678823]If they added Sprint Navi to Universal Search, I probably wouldn't use Google Maps. As it is, I use it for quick location searches that I'm not going to navigate to immediately.

Like wise, google maps is a great source of reference points, however, I am always going to use NAVI for driving.
    I like using Sprint Nav but I live near toll ways that I don't want to use. Anyone know how to have routes not use toll roads.

As far as Google Maps goes, I used to love using on my LG Muziq cuz it had location saving, searching by selecting a spot on the map and street view. I'm so surprised that they didn't include this standard features.
    Always pimpin' PunnyShirts.com
    Quote Originally Posted by sveilien View Post
    I like using Sprint Nav but I live near toll ways that I don't want to use. Anyone know how to have routes not use toll roads.
    Just checked the Sprint Navigation manual for you and sorry to say there's no "avoid tolls" option.
    LG TP 1100 -> Sanyo SCP-5150 -> LG PM-325 -> Nokia 1100 -> Motorola v557 -> Treo 755p -> HTC EVO 4G

Sprint customer since 2001
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    I use Google Maps when I'm not in the car and Sprint Navigation when I am - for me they both has specific purposes. What I would like to see is GM being able to remember settings such as whether or not I had the Traffic option on the last time I used it. It seems to me that Google Maps could simply utilize a cookie-like file to remember prior settings for the app itself.

Quote Originally Posted by balboadave View Post
    Has anybody else noticed when you tap on an address in your contacts, it takes you directly to Google Maps? So yes, I say it's necessary.
    The address linking is useful but I would like it better if I could access my contacts from within Google Maps. I'm sure these could be done with a little teamwork from Palm and Google.
    Google Maps for the Pre is unfortunately crippled. No walking or transit directions. Bleh.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234