Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    My stupid. I did not read the entire statement. I also have that plan and played, but did not stick with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by clipcarl View Post
    If you're saying that you you want to find a particular place to eat but you don't know what its name is, have no idea where it is or what's nearby then you have me there. I don't know how you'd find a particular place when you know absolutely nothing about it.
    Well I don't think you really understand what I am saying. Let's imagine this. You are downtown in an office working. You would like to go get something to eat for lunch. You know north of your location is the best place to find some restaurants. You don't really know what you are in the mood for but would like to see your choices. If anything jumps out at you, you will probably explore that option when you see it. Google maps on the pre does not reallly let you do this. You can definitely search near a zip code like you stated early. For instance, search "food near (zip code)". Unfortunately, since there are approximately 30 or more zip codes in a 10 mile radius, you can't really choose a zip code to narrow down your choices without memorizing all of them.

Boy, I wish google maps had an option for you to pan around on a map, click on the screen, and select search nearby. That way you would not even have to know the zip code. Wait a sec. It used to on my old 800w.

I think this is what myself and some others are talking about in why google maps is no where close to what the old versions were. It will be.......but not yet.
    Because Sprint Nav costs $5/month (at least that's what the Sprint CSR told me) and Google maps does just fine.
    Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    I use google maps for traffic. I check it everyday to see the traffic in the morning and decide which freeway Im going to take to work. Thats pretty much all I use it for.
    Quote Originally Posted by prochobo View Post
    Because Sprint Nav costs $5/month (at least that's what the Sprint CSR told me) and Google maps does just fine.
    Sprint navigation is included in the plans that everyone is required to get when you buy a Pre. The sprint CSR I guess does not know that.
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bpdamas View Post
    Well I don't think you really understand what I am saying. Let's imagine this. You are downtown in an office working. You would like to go get something to eat for lunch. You know north of your location is the best place to find some restaurants. You don't really know what you are in the mood for but would like to see your choices. If anything jumps out at you, you will probably explore that option when you see it. Google maps on the pre does not reallly let you do this. You can definitely search near a zip code like you stated early. For instance, search "food near (zip code)". Unfortunately, since there are approximately 30 or more zip codes in a 10 mile radius, you can't really choose a zip code to narrow down your choices without memorizing all of them.

Boy, I wish google maps had an option for you to pan around on a map, click on the screen, and select search nearby. That way you would not even have to know the zip code. Wait a sec. It used to on my old 800w.

I think this is what myself and some others are talking about in why google maps is no where close to what the old versions were. It will be.......but not yet.

Not as easy as "click & select search nearby", but

You can pan north on Google Maps, zoom in until you see the numbers for each street or block, and type "food near (# street)"

But doesn't it already search in the area of the viewable map? You don't need to know zip code, street number, etc. For example, I just had my map in the Lower East Side of Manhattan and searched "Citibank". All the results are in that area. The results didn't show anything outside the area I was looking at.
    LG TP 1100 -> Sanyo SCP-5150 -> LG PM-325 -> Nokia 1100 -> Motorola v557 -> Treo 755p -> HTC EVO 4G

Sprint customer since 2001
    As I and others have already said multiple times the Pre does do exactly that!

You don't even need to click on the screen. Just pan to the area so that it's on the screen and do your search.

Stop spreading untrue B.S. If you have a Pre, try it out before you tell people a feature doesn't work. If you don't have a Pre keep your mouth shut and don't make things up to distract people on this board who have real issues and concerns.
    Quote Originally Posted by tntitan View Post

You can pan north on Google Maps, zoom in until you see the numbers for each street or block, and type "food near (# street)"
    I would agree that it is not as easy but somewhat of an acceptable workaround until they update.
    Quote Originally Posted by tntitan View Post
    Actually, you can click and search nearby. That troll has been told that multiple times but he still insists on spreading that garbage.
    Quote Originally Posted by clipcarl View Post
    As I and others have already said multiple times the Pre does do exactly that!

You don't even need to click on the screen. Just pan to the area so that it's on the screen and do your search.

Stop spreading untrue B.S. If you have a Pre, try it out before you tell people a feature doesn't work. If you don't have a Pre keep your mouth shut and don't make things up to distract people on this board who have real issues and concerns.
    Okay. I agree. Maybe that was a bad example. That was just the first thing that came to mind. How about directions? Can you search directions from selecting a point on a map to another location? I cannot figure out a way to on my Pre so maybe you could enlighten me. What about street view? I cannot figure out that one either. Or latitude? Cannot figure out that one. I'm not really trying to be sarcastic on all of these (some I am) but hopefully you get the point that google maps isn't even close to what the windows mobile versions offered. And if you know how to actually do any of the items listed then I am all ears.
    Okay. I agree. Maybe that was a bad example. That was just the first thing that came to mind. How about directions? Can you search directions from selecting a point on a map to another location? I cannot figure out a way to on my Pre so maybe you could enlighten me. What about street view? I cannot figure out that one either. Or latitude? Cannot figure out that one. I'm not really trying to be sarcastic on all of these (some I am) but hopefully you get the point that google maps isn't even close to what the windows mobile versions offered. And if you know how to actually do any of the items listed then I am all ears.
    Those are all known features that are missing and we all want. It was the topic of searching nearby that you were wrong about. On another note, the iPod Touch also doesn't have all that which is also annoying.
    LG TP 1100 -> Sanyo SCP-5150 -> LG PM-325 -> Nokia 1100 -> Motorola v557 -> Treo 755p -> HTC EVO 4G

Quote Originally Posted by EeZeEpEe View Post
    Those are all known features that are missing and we all want. It was the topic of searching nearby that you were wrong about.
    I concur. I was incorrect about it. Apparently incorrect enough to be considered a troll. I wasn't trying to spark up something, just pointing out that google maps on the Pre is definitely not on par with what are on other phones. No matter. I feel like this will updated just as quickly as the other versions out there and we won't have to worry about it soon.

All that being said, as soon as it is updated, I feel that it still will be necessary to have for all of the functions we are all wanting.
    Global Posts
    194 Global Posts
    Last weekend, I was in a non Sprint service area. Sprint Navagation was a no go... Google maps worked. That's why I use it.
    Even when I had a G1 I never used most of those google maps features, I however do use google maps to see where I'm going before I hit the road with my gps since I like to understand where I'm going incase I miss a turn or something.
    I concur. I was incorrect about it. Apparently incorrect enough to be considered a troll. I wasn't trying to spark up something, just pointing out that google maps on the Pre is definitely not on par with what are on other phones. No matter. I feel like this will updated just as quickly as the other versions out there and we won't have to worry about it soon.

All that being said, as soon as it is updated, I feel that it still will be necessary to have for all of the functions we are all wanting.
    I think we can all finally agree on something. lol. I just hope it doesn't take a whole year like it did for the iPhone to get things like Public Tranist, Walking directions, street view, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by EeZeEpEe View Post
    I think we can all finally agree on something. lol. I just hope it doesn't take a whole year like it did for the iPhone to get things like Public Tranist, Walking directions, street view, etc.
    Me too. I think we can all hope that webOS is as easy to develop an app as everyone says it is. So far it looks as if it is.
    Until Google Maps on the Pre gets latitude support, it's useless to me.
    Palm III -> Palm M100 -> Palm VII -> Tmobile MDA (The 3 year mistake) -> Palm Pre

Hello, Palm. Good to have you back. Let's just pretend that the whole "me leaving you for WinMo" thing never happened, OK?
    Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GFS View Post
    i like to walk up and down my hall way and watch the little blue dot freak out.
    Is this with Google Maps or Sprint Nav.?
    _
    Pilot, PalmPilot Personal, PalmPilot Professional, Palm III, Palm IIIx, PalmV, Palm VII, PalmVx, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 680, Centro

Somewhere in the mix, I also used a PDQ, Kyocera 6035 <--One of my favorites, Kyocera 7135, HandSpring Visor, Samsung i500 <--One of my absolute favorites!...

-
    Global Posts
    426 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMatrix31 View Post
    I wish there was a way to route directions/addresses from applications like Where? to Sprint Navi instead of Google Maps.

I liked that I could Live Search on the Instinct, press a button, and get it in the Navi.
    I would like this too. From a calendar event that has a location, I can jump to GoogleMaps, but not to Sprint Navigation. It would be nice to choose either one.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast