Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by clipcarl View Post
    You can search what's nearby other locations in the Pre's Google Maps. For example, you could type "pizza near Madison, WI" in the address bar no matter where you are.
    OK, then please tell me how I can search nearby at a specific Best Buy store in another part of town for a Starbucks that's near that specific Best Buy?

See what I mean now??
    I like messing around with it in Satellite view sometimes. I wouldn't go as far as to say it's unnecessary, it's a nice program that has it's own pluses (like the previously mentioned satellite view).
    Best Buy Mobile Rep (I'm off the clock, I speak for myself and not Best Buy)
    Quote Originally Posted by peestandingup View Post
    OK, then please tell me how I can search nearby at a specific Best Buy store in another part of town for a Starbucks that's near that specific Best Buy?

See what I mean now??
    Type in "Starbucks near <address of Best Buy>" . What's so hard about that?
    Type in "Starbucks near <address of Best Buy>" . What's so hard about that?
    Cause its freakin counterproductive is what. Especially when you can do this a helluva lot easier on basically EVERY other version of Google Maps on every other smartphone & even dumb phones.

What are you gonna do, write down the full address of the Best Buy, exit the app then use Synergy to search near the address?? Yeah, I will get right on that chief.

Stop making excuses for stupid decisions & lack of features, chalking it up to laziness on the users part. Its a problem, period.
    I totally agree. Google maps absolutely sucks compared to the windows mobile versions. It is one of the items I am least happy about on the phone. It's probably because I used google maps all the time on my old phones. I hope the updates do start coming relatively quickly because right now it is definitely subpar.
    Cause its freakin counterproductive is what. Especially when you can do this a helluva lot easier on basically EVERY other version of Google Maps on every other smartphone & even dumb phones.

What are you gonna do, write down the full address of the Best Buy, exit the app then use Synergy to search near the address?? Yeah, I will get right on that chief.

Stop making excuses for stupid decisions & lack of features, chalking it up to laziness on the users part. Its a problem, period.
    If you are are really that lazy that you don't want to type the address, you could just type "Starbucks near <zip code>." That's only 3 words. Or is that too difficult too?

And you don't have to exit the Google Maps app at all. This works right from there. And it works exactly the same way it works in your computer's browser and on the iPhone so if you don't like the way Google does it you could always write your own alternative to Google Maps.
    I too miss the transit and walking directions. Sprint Navigation is amusing and I am happy to have full GPS on a phone now since my Treo lacked it.

I do expect an eventual update will come soon as more of us keep clambering for it. They were pretty good about updating the WM version and it was to my liking by the time I left. The only problem being the occasional crash, mostly due to me cramming too much stuff onto the phone's internal memory.

As it is, I can still bring up our city's own mobile transit site or the full version of the transit site. I was doing that long before Google had the maps program for Windows Mobile and people were astounded by that. I can't even count the number of times when people would ask if I knew when a particular bus was coming and I could just look it up quickly. Many a bus driver wished they had that sort of access, since every customer expects them to just know every route in the city by heart.

The beauty of these phones is that while we may be out the full functionality we had, there are several ways around it until the inevitable update. =)
    Eryn Tzun
    tzun.com
    I'm just an ignorant warrior who believes that love means you're willing to fight and die for your fellow living beings.
    You don't even need to type address again. You can just find the Best Buy on Google Maps, select it, then just search for "Starbucks" to find Starbucks near that Best Buy. I'm not sure how you could make it any easier than that!
    If you are are really that lazy that you don't want to type the address, you could just type "Starbucks near <zip code>." That's only 3 words. Or is that too difficult too?

And you don't have to exit the Google Maps app at all. This works right from there. And it works exactly the same way it works in your computer's browser and on the iPhone so if you don't like the way Google does it you could always write your own alternative to Google Maps.
    What if there's 3 Starbucks in the same zip code smart guy?? We can play these games all day, but the fact is this is a gimped up version of Google Maps & you're making excuses for it like you own stock in Google or something. Just drop it, you're not going to win. And you seem to be the only one defending this mess.

And no dude, thats not "how it works on your computer browser". Dont know what you're using, but in the browser, you click on the stick pin on the specific address you want & choose the "search nearby" option that comes up.
    And no dude, thats not "how it works on your computer browser". Dont know what you're using, but in the browser, you click on the stick pin on the specific address you want & choose the "search nearby" option that comes up.
    Umm, yes it does work in the browser the same way. As for the alternative method you are talking about, the Pre does that too. As I said in my last post:

You don't even need to type address again. You can just find the Best Buy on Google Maps, select it, then just search for "Starbucks" to find Starbucks near that Best Buy. I'm not sure how you could make it any easier than that!

Try it. You'll see it works just fine on the Pre.

Have a nice day.
    Umm, yes it does work in the browser the same way. As for the alternative method you are talking about, the Pre does that too. As I said in my last post:

Try it. You'll see it works just fine on the Pre.

Have a nice day.
    So what about this example. You are trying to find some place to eat that is a few miles from you and you have no idea what zip code it is or what is nearby. How do you find something on the map without being able to select a point and search nearby?

Face it. This version of google maps just isn't even close to versions for windows mobile. I'm not saying it won't be in the future but right now I am taking a hit in functionality of google maps by getting a pre. Is it worth it? Yes. Will I be glad when they update? Yes.
    Quote Originally Posted by bpdamas View Post
    So what about this example. You are trying to find some place to eat that is a few miles from you and you have no idea what zip code it is or what is nearby. How do you find something on the map without being able to select a point and search nearby?

Face it. This version of google maps just isn't even close to versions for windows mobile. I'm not saying it won't be in the future but right now I am taking a hit in functionality of google maps by getting a pre. Is it worth it? Yes. Will I be glad when they update? Yes.
    With the Palm OS version I just move the map to the area I want to search in.
    LG TP 1100 -> Sanyo SCP-5150 -> LG PM-325 -> Nokia 1100 -> Motorola v557 -> Treo 755p -> HTC EVO 4G

Sprint customer since 2001
    Quote Originally Posted by bpdamas View Post
    To find someplace to eat that is close by you just click the blue dot to have the phone find your current location and search for "food." I'm not sure why that is hard?

If you're saying that you you want to find a particular place to eat but you don't know what its name is, have no idea where it is or what's nearby then you have me there. I don't know how you'd find a particular place when you know absolutely nothing about it.

If you're saying that you have a general idea of where the place is but you don't know the name, the address or the name of the area then all you have to do is navigate to the general area of the place so that it's showing on the screen and search for "food."

There are some features that are missing from this versions of Google Maps. But that's not one of them.
    Quote Originally Posted by EeZeEpEe View Post
    With the Palm OS version I just move the map to the area I want to search in.
    Yes, that works on the Pre as well. I'm not sure why these guys are trying to pass off this obvious BS.
    Maybe another reason not to use Sprint Navigation - Sprint Navigation
    I'm surprised more people aren't talking about how broken this Where app is? You'd think something that ties into yp.com (Yellow Pages) would be up-to-date, but yesterday, while searching for directions for a particular Mexican restaurant that was part of a chain, yp.com brought up two locations which had been closed for a year or two! I discovered one of those was closed last Oct. when my then-year-old Garmin Nuvi sent me on wild goose chase to a shuttered building. While GPS maps are a snapshot in time, what's the excuse for a mobile app that can be fed constantly updated info? God help those in unfamiliar locations who are hungry and reliant on their snazzy gadgets to not lead them astray.
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger View Post
    How does someone with over 5000 posts not know that every data plan required for the Pre comes with free GPS service?!?
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger View Post
    Link below to the chart showing plans that include "GPS Navigation":
    - Simply Everything
    - Everything Data
    - Everything Data Family

LINK: "Services included in our plans"
    Treo300>600>650>755p>Pre
    I wish there was a way to route directions/addresses from applications like Where? to Sprint Navi instead of Google Maps.

I liked that I could Live Search on the Instinct, press a button, and get it in the Navi.
    Yes, that works on the Pre as well. I'm not sure why these guys are trying to pass off this obvious BS.
    Okay that's what I thought. I would love mass transit routes though too especially because I live in New York City. In the mean time I get those with hopstop.com
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast