Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 LastLast
    Global Posts
    893 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jovanny27 View Post
    oh wow,, so there is no way this thing can be back online? what could it be? so my only option is go to the store and get a new pre?
    there may be a way to do it, Im not the best tech support person. I found by turning it off and on every once in a while it'd go back to normal but it would eventually get stuck in "offline" again. Usually within seconds of turning wifi back on it'd get stuck in offline.

The Sprint sales rep who was helping me took it into the repair shop and they were so busy they just told her to give me a new one. She said normally they try to fix it, but a new one was quicker.
    My ohone has gone offline aswell. Usually turning on airplane mode then back off it resets it.
    go in phone app,,top left cornner drop down,,go to prefs and see if data is on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikest View Post
    there may be a way to do it, Im not the best tech support person. I found by turning it off and on every once in a while it'd go back to normal but it would eventually get stuck in "offline" again. Usually within seconds of turning wifi back on it'd get stuck in offline.

The Sprint sales rep who was helping me took it into the repair shop and they were so busy they just told her to give me a new one. She said normally they try to fix it, but a new one was quicker.
    i just installed the " Device Menu MegaMix " patch and tried to turn on Phone Radio, and Data from the Menu, but when i exit it just go back to OFF.. Weird
    I have a GSM Telcel-México Pre and the: "Turn Off - Remove SIM - Turn On - Turn Off again - Install SIM - Turn On again" solution worked for me. I hope the "Phone Offline" condition doesn't happen again.

Thanks a lot.
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    I've had this happen. The only way I fixed it was to hold the power button down until the power/airplane mode prompt comes up. Then toggle airplane mode that way. I tried toggling airplane mode through the device menu and it didn't work. Even a restart didn't help, but try holding the power button down and using the airplane mode prompt that way.

-Readonly
    Quote Originally Posted by Readonly View Post
    I've had this happen. The only way I fixed it was to hold the power button down until the power/airplane mode prompt comes up. Then toggle airplane mode that way. I tried toggling airplane mode through the device menu and it didn't work. Even a restart didn't help, but try holding the power button down and using the airplane mode prompt that way.

-Readonly
    tried, didn't work either.. i'm doing a Full Reset.. maybe this helps...
    <<merged threads>>
    I have been having issues with my pre plus for awhile now (freezing and things like that) and then this "phone offline" message came up and i thought it was the LAST straw. so i decided to do a restart and hope for the best. luckily, phone offline went away. but we will see how long i can hang with WebOS.
    I just went through this ordeal myself. I had my Pre for 11.5 months and really had not experienced any major issues with it. Last Friday it started going into the Phone Offline mode. If I restarted a bunch of times it might find the tower and work anywhere from 5 to 30 mins before going offline again.

Through experimentation I found that I could turn airplane mode on, count to 15, turn airplane mode off, count to 5, then push Opt+Sym+R to restart the phone. When it came back up it almost always had signal. After doing that several times a day for the next four days I finally broke down and had the store order me a warranty replacement (with three weeks left on the warranty!). I just received my refurb replacement and all is back to normal!

*Opt = Orange or gray key on the left side of the keyboard
  11. dec
    Global Posts
    255 Global Posts
    really wonder if its a system problem . . . . mine has done this the last two days as well
    My phone just randomly went into Phone Offline mode. Been through a few restarts and toggling Airplane mode and nothing is working. Toggled Airplane mode on and off, nothing. Actually it won't even leave Airplane mode, it just stays in it, even though it says I can turn it back on. My phone is like my life.

It won't even charge on the touchstone...????
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    We always prefer that people donate in response to tangible items they can use today, rather than for intangible promises about the future that may or may not be possible to achieve.
    I have had the same problem but nothing seems to work...

I think my phone antenna might actually be broken because I dropped it once and it landed on a really hard floor from about 2.5 feet.

I turn on my phone, and it says Phone Offline in the top left; whenever I try the suggestion to toggle airplane mode, what happens is it'll turn on airplane mode but even if I tap "turn off airplane mode" the airplane mode is still on...

I have tried doing a hard reset of the phone multiple times, even did the secure full erase of the phone just for good measure.

Any suggestions?
    Try the sequence in my post. I didn't mention it, but the step where you turn off airplane mode you will not actually wait for the "airplane mode" text to go away. As soon as you select the option to turn it off start counting to 5 and then press Opt+Sym+R.

When the phone reboots it may be back online for a time.
    I am having this "phone offline" problem as well. At the advice of others I tried running webos doctor, but when It gets to the step where I plug the phone into the computer, the "next" button never lights up and can not be clicked. Just out of curiousity I gave up on the webos and turned the phone on normally, it went to the palm account setup page, when I entered my information the phone went back into "phone offline" mode and would not let me add my account, I'm just barely out or warantee. I can't think of any other way of fixing this...
    I've been having this problem for 4 days. I finally called sprint yesterday and it kept cutting off because the phone keeps reverting back to "phone offline" anytime between 5-30 min. I did a hard reset which was a BIG mistake! It took me back to the profile login page, and I entered my name and password, but it kept saying "cannot continue because you are not connected to the network". All because I had no EVDO sign, it couldn't get online to send the info for my profile. I reset TONS of times hoping the EVDO would pop back up eventually, but it never did. I left the phone on at work today and it kept trying over and over but would continue to fail. Finally I came back after lunch and it said activation successful... What a stroke of luck that the EVDO appeared and stayed active long enough to complete the process. Now I'm back to my old phone, but it still goes offline over and over. And to top it all off, my speaker is blown now too! I am out of warranty but this will be my 6th Pre and I will not take no for an answer. They are giving me a new one for free or I will cancel. I cannot take anymore of this piece of **** phone! I love it when it works, but 6 phones in 14 months?? Completely unacceptable. Never thought I'd ever say this, but I wish I got an iPhone. I will never recommend Sprint, or Palm to anyone again.
    I had this problem with my last pre. I eventually had to take it in for a replacement. Maybe there is a way to fix this problem but I didn't find it. But I must warn you, DON'T DOCTOR YOUR PRE! It doesn't fix the problem. If you doctor your pre all that's going to happen is it's gonna do the doctoring process then it's gonna restart and you are gonna have to sign into your palm profile again, but since you have your "phone offline" problem your phone doesn't get a signal and you are not able to sign in. Honestly I think it's that the pre's have a cheap radio in them and they just die out since so much people have the same problem. But maybe there is a way to fix it but doctoring is not one of them.
    long time no see mates =)
    happened to me today italian time 19.00
    lasted until now when I obviously checked PreCentral.
    doin the airplane mode trick helped. came back on line with full 3g data.
    ah, I have an o2 unlocked pre from germany btw on an italia h3g usim.
    weird
    Quote Originally Posted by Drnycallstar19 View Post
    I think it's that the pre's have a cheap radio in them and they just die out since so much people have the same problem.
    And a cheap external speaker, and a cheap internal speaker ect... I took mine in and they ordered me a new one. I went back to pick it up and the earpiece speaker was blown. That's the 2nd one that I had like that.

Final totals

2 blown earpiece speakers
    1 touchscreen didn't work
    3 blown external speakers

I'm now on my 7th Pre in 15 months... And the screen doesn't go to black when you are talking on the phone so my face presses buttons. I guess it's better than all of my other problems but OMG did they make this phone CHEAP! This is the last straw. Next problem I have, I'm getting an EVO
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    I wish I had read the part about not doctoring my phone earlier.

In any case, I think there's two things that could be going on with the Phone Offline issue. 1. Java restart, etc. 2. overloaded modem from calendar or contacts syncing problem. 3. voltage issue from the battery, which might mean the same underlying issue as #2.

As to why, for #1, you can see it for yourself if you restart java (and the phone becomes sluggish, and so on). #2 I've had happen to me, disconnected my gmail calendar (or contacts, forget which specifically), reconnected, then it was better. Then on phone #2 (first one had random short-circuit dying), I noticed that at random points in a day, the phone would go offline and no amount of restarting or luna rebooting or java restarting or airplane mode cycling would bring it back. (Maybe once or twice restarting, but that would only work for a few minutes anyway) That was using a seidio 1350 battery, so I switched out to my palm battery and everything was fine.

I figured it was the battery, since I was having trouble recharging it in the external charger: the light would go red, green, then off. It had to be charged when sitting in the phone.

But now, on phone #3 (#2's mic stopped working suddenly, less than 24 hours after I got it), I drained my regular battery and so the seidio was in ("fully" charged) to see if it would work again, no dice, still phone offline message, so I turned it off, and then replaced the regular palm battery.

Turned it on before replacing the battery cover, then clumsy me I knocked the battery out while it was starting up. After that I started getting the "Phone error, your phone is experiencing an error that cannot be resolved. Visit palm.com/support/for help." message.

Somewhere someone mentioned the modem and how if you mess it up a firmware flash/doctoring won't help, so I figure my modem/radio is borked and now I have to get phone #4. Gah.

I don't really like android after using webos for so long, too, but this hardware stuff is starting to get to me...