Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast
    is heat from the thin metal panel below the battery normal when internet is being used? for some reason, the phone doesnt charge using the touchstone either. seems like everything being used in that area is failing. when i do get it to work (lasts only for minutes) i place it on the touchstone, then within seconds, it sez phone offline. wierd, seems internet and touchstone charging failed @ the same time.
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vgaboy View Post
    is heat from the thin metal panel below the battery normal when internet is being used?
    Do you mean the thin gray material just "south" of the battery (not underneath the battery)? If so, then yes. (the gray material is thin flexible graphite for heat spreading)
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    wow, same thing just happened to me -- phone offline, plus battery drain even while charging.

Turning Airplane mode on and off again didn't work. I had to first reset the phone (orange+sym+r), and then turn Airplane mode on and off. That worked.

I hope it doesn't happen again.
    turn airplane mode on, then switch it off. worked for me!!!
    Global Posts
    3 Global Posts
    Great. I just got a replacement Pre in the mail today because my touch screen had stopped responding. I got it all activated and my Palm Profile restored, and all was well for about 20 minutes, then it gave me the phone offline thing. I noticed it wasn't running the most recent software, so I figured I'd do an update over wifi (which I always do anyway since all I have is 1x around here).

My new Pre was updating and then restarted and gave me the ROM error, telling me to go to palm.com/ROM, where Palm told me to run webOS Doctor. I did so, and it failed to restore and now I'm stuck with the blue sky and clouds telling me "Your phone is experiencing an error that cannot be resolved." Those clouds are mocking me.

I've called Sprint three times and keep getting disconnected when they transfer me to advanced tech support. What's more annoying is we don't have a Sprint store or any authorized repair centers. The closest is a two-hour drive away. So I feel really screwed. I've been without a working phone since last Thursday.
    Just posting this to say the problem still exists in v1.3.5.2. Just happened to me today. Cycling power then toggling Airplane Mode twice fixes it.
    Global Posts
    149 Global Posts
    This just happened to me today. It has not recovered. I just got this replacement phone yesterday. Worked great for less than 24 hours. I tried everything in previous posts but no luck yet.
    Treo 300, Samsung I500, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700P, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, HTC Mogul, Motorola Q9c, HTC Advantage, Treo 800w, Touch Pro, Treo Pro, Touch Diamond, Palm Pre, Touch Pro 2, and Palm Pre
    Global Posts
    149 Global Posts
    I tried the webos doctor to the latest rom several times and it resulted in the cloud screen with the unrecoverable error occurred.

I did fix it by flashing to the 1.2.x rom. Then after it came up I ran the updates tool and updated the rom to 3.5.x. Now it seems OK.

Still quite frustrating though!
    Treo 300, Samsung I500, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700P, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, HTC Mogul, Motorola Q9c, HTC Advantage, Treo 800w, Touch Pro, Treo Pro, Touch Diamond, Palm Pre, Touch Pro 2, and Palm Pre
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    same thing happened here, "phone offline". Checked & it wasn't an airplane mode issue. Used a different pre to search pre help & found nothing.

I just did the turn on airplane mode / turn it back off thing & it worked. Phone back online. Thanks
    I'm using WebOS 1.4 on a European GSM Pre. I just had the 'phone offline' problem happen immediately after I tried to use the WebOSQuickInstall to install tweaks for the first time.

WOSQI warned me that I would need lsdiff and GNU Patch and asked if it should install them. I clicked OK but it didn't seem to work.

Using WOSQI, in Device Management I was able to see that lsdiff was there but not GNU Patch. I uninstalled lsdiff and the phone immediately came back to life again.

After trying to reproduce this, I noticed that whenever you install anything via WOSQI, the phone temporarily goes offline until the install is done. What likely happened in my case was the install froze, which is why only lsdiff was installed and the phone was stuck offline. Once I removed the offending software, the phone became available again.

I've now installed lsdiff and GNU Patch manually and can now install tweaks. I recommend installing them one at a time so that you know right away if one of those installs causes you trouble.
    I've been experiencing the Phone Offline Problem since last night. I've tried the restart, airplane mode on then off then restart to fix it. That worked once, and I don't even know if the sequence I took was correct. What I do know is that it is still a problem.

All day today my Pre was mostly, "offline" every once in awhile it would pick up a signal from Sprint without me having to do any restart. I'm going to bring it in to the Sprint Repair Center by my work, but I'm worried because I do have a small chip and crack on the phone. You think they'll work on it for me despite the physical damage?
    10 pm last night, my Palm Pre is peachy.

Wake up this morning at 8 am, phone is in "Offline Mode".

What the hell? The Pre is an awesome phone... when it works.

But when it decides to glitch out it seems like it Pre-Plans (Pun INtended) to glitch out at the worst possible times.
    similar thing here. except my pre plus has been randomly turning off ever since i got it in january. i would lull me into the irrational "it fixed itself" thinking for a couple weeks then would resume the bad behavior. this week, it's been bad with shutoffs and when working has been noticeably sluggish; like some process is eating all the cpu cycles. this evening, i pull it outa my pocket and it was off. turned it back on and was greeted with "phone offline". doing webdoctor now. not hopeful.
    following up. after webdoctor, my pre is back to her original self. she's again responsive to my touch. ;-) no more sluggish behavior. best of all, "phone offline" is gone...knock on wood. was please to see how much of my stuff was restored from the palm profile. bummed however i've lost all my text message though; had some important info in there. hope the profile will cover this in future.
    i had this happen to me last friday.

-Phone went into "Phone Offline" mode
    -Restarted and toggled Airplane mode
    -Came back online....for about 5 minutes
    -tried doing a partial erase (apps&data)
    -got blue sky with clouds
    Phone Error
    -WebOS Doctor did nothing to it after that

Finally went into sprint and got a replacement.

So i suggest backing up all your pictures, videos, ringtones etc. before trying webos doctor, if that doesnt work you will probably need a replacement.

Just my 2 cents

Oh and from now on i am not using any patches, tweaks, homebrew apps etc.
    But thats just me
    I was told Palm is aware of the problem and to bring it in. I got a shiny new Pre in return!
    I had the same error. Phone offline, cycling airplane on and off didn't work, did a soft and hard reset with no luck. Reinstalled the webos to 1.2 and got the blue cloud screen of death. Only thing was to take it in and get a new one. I have a nice new Pre now but it was frustrating to get it fixed.
    Solution:
    1)Turn Off your pre
    2)Get out de SIM CARD
    3)Turn On your Pre (without the SIM CARD)
    4)Then turn Off again your Pre
    5)Before turning On your Pre put back the SIM CARD
    6)Turn On your Pre
    7) You have again Phone Service
    Quote Originally Posted by ulisesmx View Post
    Solution:
    1)Turn Off your pre
    2)Get out de SIM CARD
    3)Turn On your Pre (without the SIM CARD)
    4)Then turn Off again your Pre
    5)Before turning On your Pre put back the SIM CARD
    6)Turn On your Pre
    7) You have again Phone Service
    umm SIM card? what are you smoking man. the Palm Pre with Sprint does not have a SIM Card.

This has been happening to me the past couple of months and is royally ticking me off to the point that i am going to either make them get me a different phone NON Palm or quitting service.
    I'm using a German GSM Pre with WebOS 1.4.1. The phone crashed today after first getting sluggish while browsing the web. When it got back on it didn't ask for my PIN code, and in the top left corner was the text "SIM lock-SOS only" which I expect is what you guys are describing as "offline mode". I tried taking the SIM card out, and realized the phone then acted exactly the same. It's as if the phone no longer recognize that there is a SIM card when there is (BTW I tested the SIM card on another phone, and it's working fine).

Instead of the SIM login screen I get the Phone Preferences where everything is greyed out and no network shows. The solution I found to get the SIM login back is to turn airplane mode on and off while I'm in the Phone Preferences, and only then. This is not a permanent fix as the problem reappears every time I do a reboot or go in and out of airplane mode.
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast