1.    #1  
    I'm sure this is a dumb question but it would put a lot of minds at ease to know the answer from peeps who know this kind of technical 00's and 11's thingies:

Can any of my large data files lose bytes or "leak" data with frequent battery changing & resets?
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    Say what?
    No. That's what the Palm Profile backup prevents.
  4.    #4  
    Then how is the answer 'no'?
    Otherwise, if there's no data loss what would be palm profile's function in my example?
    The palm has non volatile memory. This means that even if the battery fully dies or is removed the memory will retain its information. Its almost like a flash drive, where when you unplug it the files dont erase.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretarded View Post
    Then how is the answer 'no'?
    Otherwise, if there's no data loss what would be palm profile's function in my example?
    Also,

The profile function is mainly for if you break or lose your Pre. You can restore your files if you install a bad program and have to hard reset as well.
  7. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    I'm sure this is a dumb question but it would put a lot of minds at ease to know the answer from peeps who know this kind of technical 00's and 11's thingies:

Can any of my large data files lose bytes or "leak" data with frequent battery changing & resets?
    Yes! What happens is the bytes leak into the information pipeline™ and can cause many undesired effects, including:

* Dry mouth
    * Urinary retention
    * Blurred vision
    * Constipation
    * Sedation (can interfere with driving or operating machinery)
    * Sleep disruption
    * Weight gain
    * Headache
    * Nausea
    * Gastrointestinal disturbance/diarrhea
    * Abdominal pain
    * Inability to achieve an ********
    * Inability to achieve an orgasm (men and women)
    * Loss of libido
    * Agitation
    * Anxiety

Be smart, get tested!
  8.    #8  
    Heh. That's good.
    I guess I'm not asking the question properly. I'm not talking about non-volatile memory, solid state issues, or the like. I'm asking if there can be data loss if I keep "crashing" my pre with these frequent resets I'm causing when changing the battery 2-3 times per day?
    PC Load Letter?

I would turn the radio off before removing the battery, just to be safe.
  11. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    Heh. That's good.
    I guess I'm not asking the question properly. I'm not talking about non-volatile memory, solid state issues, or the like. I'm asking if there can be data loss if I keep "crashing" my pre with these frequent resets I'm causing when changing the battery 2-3 times per day?
    I can't tell if you're kidding or not. The answer is no.
    Heh. That's good.
    Certainly, crashes in any system can cause corruption of both data and system files. The Pre's no different in this regard. And so, it's always preferable to shut a system down before removing power (whether it's a desktop or notebook PC or a phone). If your system has already crashed and is an unrecoverable state, and the only way to resolve the situation is to remove power, then it's a moot point.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyg View Post
    I can't tell if you're kidding or not. The answer is no.
    It's my name, isn't it? It's always the name. Been living with that my whole life with all the jokes about what my name rhymes with.
    Now, with this Pre thingamajobby it'll be even worse. Especially if this doesn't go well. Everyone will start making fun of the Pre part of my name.
    Anywho.... no, I wasn't kidding with my question. I've lost data in the past with other devices in what appeared to be simple resets. I just wondered if lots of resets on the pre would compromise my stuff. That's all.
    Thanks for the help from those of you who suggested turning off the radio, etc. I'll just go away for a while now.