Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 110
  1.    #1  
    Hey all, I'm a current iphone user who is interested in the pre. My 2 year contract with AT&T is up in December of this year. I'm thinking on moving to the pre but I have a few questions for users who also have/had an iphone and now have a pre. I spend most of my time using IM along with email, web browsing and twitter oh and yeah I do use the phone too. I have a few trusty apps I use all the time including vehicle maintenance tracking plus a RSS news feed reader. I know the pre has a open source twitter app but any word if a commercial twitter app is going to come soon or is the open source one good enough? Any word on vehicle apps or RSS readers? I have not physically held a pre but I have scoured the web and viewed most of the videos posted on it.
    I think it's a easy sell for me but my wife who also has an iphone is not so sure. So iphone (or ex iphone people) what are your thoughts?

    Thanks. Doug D
  2. #2  
    RSS Reader = Google Reader
    Twitter Client = Tweed

    Both of these have been working great with me. I can even get podcasts via Google Reader (video/audio). Not aware of vehicle maintenance tracker app, but once the SDK is out I am quite positive we'd get quite a few of those.
  3. #3  
    If you spend a lot of time online like I do then you'll like the pre. Right now there are 2 twitter apps. The app catalog is thin because it's not officially finished yet. However if your timeframe is dec you'll have plenty of time to see all the apps by then. The twitter apps works just fine for me. Are there any specifics that you are looking for?
  4. shadrap's Avatar
    Posts
    161 Posts
    Global Posts
    308 Global Posts
    #4  
    Once you go Pre you want go back.lol Seriously though the OS is capable of much more than the current or upcoming iphone.
  5. jayzun's Avatar
    Posts
    192 Posts
    Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
    #5  
    I'm going to venture a guess that by December of this year, the phone will be completely different. They rushed the OS out the door (even though it's great)...and there will be a lot of improvements/functionality added. Hopefully there will be some good apps as well...like a good RSS reader and podcasting applications. The music player is pretty weak on the Pre. So, my answer is that I think you should ask this question again in November.
  6. #6  
    The OS is awesome and leaves the iphone in the dust. However, the Pre reception is proving to be a massive issue!!! It's not ready for prime time yet. Wait a little bit for the bugs and especially the reception to get better. JMHO. Enjoy!
  7.    #7  
    Thanks for all the quick replys. I have a
    feeling by Dec the pre app catalog will
    be mature and most of the holes filled
    in for missing apps. As for my Twitter needs
    like the re-tweet ability plus URL shortening
    basics I guess.
    I will make it a point to stop by a sprint
    store and see for myself.
    Enjoy your pre's ! Doug from CT
  8. #8  
    I'm using my iPhone as an iPod. I got sick and tired of Safari crashing everyday. If you browse the web alot on your iPhone I think you'll appreciate the Pre browser just a little bit more.
  9. #9  
    Nobody seemed to mention the OP's comment about being a pretty heavy IM user. The Pre is kind of light on IM functionality right now (Gtalk works, AOL has some battery issues, and that's all that's available right now... should be more by December though). I never liked IM on the iPhone due to the fact that it couldn't run in the background, so there was no good way to IM unless you left the IM client running in the foreground. That will probably be fixed with push notifications in the 3.0 iPhone software though, so iPhone will probably top the Pre in IM capabilities for a while.
  10. #10  
    hey doug from CT. to answer your question, Spaz (twitter app) has a re-tweet function. i don't see url shortening so that might be a good thing to add for the developer. i use pixelpipe to upload images/media/etc so it does the url shortening for me already.

    Quote Originally Posted by Doug D View Post
    Thanks for all the quick replys. I have a
    feeling by Dec the pre app catalog will
    be mature and most of the holes filled
    in for missing apps. As for my Twitter needs
    like the re-tweet ability plus URL shortening
    basics I guess.
    I will make it a point to stop by a sprint
    store and see for myself.
    Enjoy your pre's ! Doug from CT
  11. #11  
    I'm logged in on AIM and Gtalk all the time and the battery is getting a lot better.
  12. #12  
    I would stick with the iphone for a while and wait and see how the Pre develops. The iphone has so many things going for it over the Pre right now that its not worth the switch. I really think the success of the Pre will depend on their App store. People use their phone for entertainment value more than anything and at this point nothing comes close to the iphone. I wont rattle off everything the iphone offers because its been done a million times.
    Im running OS 3.0 on my 3G and its just as fast as the Pre so I would assume there will be a huge increase with the 3GS coming out.
  13. #13  
    December is a long time. If it were today, i would say wait, but by december it'll probably be a yes.
  14. #14  
    . . . People use their phone for entertainment value more than anything and at this point nothing comes close to the iphone. I wont rattle off everything the iphone offers because its been done a million times. . .
    That's a pretty broad statement. I think it best to say that some people or if you are a person who wants entertainment value. If you look at most of the applications people wanted in classic or on the initial Pre, it wasn't the entertainment apps. Also having a device that was mainly for entertainment with a good web browser is what kept many of the CORE palm users from jumping to the iPhone.

    I absolutely needed myBible, SplashId and Documents to Go. I also would love to have many of my previous entertainment applications, but I could wait on them. I couldn't wait for the three that I mentioned. It's funny, because I didn't consider myself a Palm enthusiast just someone who needed to keep a productive PDA or the possibility of a productive PDA.
  15. #15  
    - iPhone hardware seems a bit nicer but there is no hard keyboard which is a minus for many.
    - iPhone has been out longer and so it has a lot more available software. Still, on the flipside, the iPhone is very locked down and it's tied to iTunes. Unless you break the license and crack your phone, you won't be doing anything unless it's approved by Apple and ATT.
    - As far as ATT, they generally cost more than Sprint and that adds up bigtime over a 2 year contract.
    - Pre has good multitasking while iPhone does not.

    For me it came down to 1) preferring Sprint to ATT, 2) preferring a hard keyboard to a virtual one, and 3) wanting to support a new platform with a lot of potential.
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by KoukiFC3S View Post
    I'm logged in on AIM and Gtalk all the time and the battery is getting a lot better.
    AIM destroys my battery--simply being connected.

    I reckon Palm will release an update to fix this. For now, I just stay off IM if I know I will need battery later that day. Typical day, I can use it no problem.
  17. #17  
    how can you expect the Pre to have the same number of APPs after only 8 days? Is there any doubt that within a month Pre will have thousands of apps? This ain't brain surgery.
  18. rj5620's Avatar
    Posts
    48 Posts
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    #18  
    I have the iPhone classic and have had the Pre from day 1. I have used it 100% for a week and it is a great product with greater potential. I am returning it because I can't make calls due to poor reception home and work and the battery lasts till 3:00. I need a phone I can make and receive calls. I live north of Cincinnati and Sprint is not very good here. ATT is also poor but a bit better, I can make and receive calls on my iPhone. Verizon has the best signal in this area.
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by seahawks80 View Post
    Nobody seemed to mention the OP's comment about being a pretty heavy IM user. The Pre is kind of light on IM functionality right now (Gtalk works, AOL has some battery issues, and that's all that's available right now... should be more by December though). I never liked IM on the iPhone due to the fact that it couldn't run in the background, so there was no good way to IM unless you left the IM client running in the foreground. That will probably be fixed with push notifications in the 3.0 iPhone software though, so iPhone will probably top the Pre in IM capabilities for a while.
    Push notifications aren't coming with 3.0 as far as I know. Even when that happens, it will not be as good as the Pre's true multitasking IM. The AOL bug is known and actively being worked on, and I'll take fewer protocols than the iPhone that I can stay logged into. I have beejive on the iPhone, and while it will use push email to notify you of messages and keeps you logged in, it is still unreliable and you WILL miss people messaging you only to notice when you open the app up and you get a bunch of messages. I have an iPhone and I'm on the waiting list for a Pre. I'm keeping the iPhone as an iPod for the apps. I can't part with my apps and games, but everything else about the Pre is more suited to my needs than the iPhone at this point. I would say the iPhone tops the Pre right now, but that is largely because of the 2 years mobile osx has been out. I don't see any issues with the Pre that won't be fixed by the release of the SDK and updates.
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by purefx View Post
    Push notifications aren't coming with 3.0 as far as I know. Even when that happens, it will not be as good as the Pre's true multitasking IM. The AOL bug is known and actively being worked on, and I'll take fewer protocols than the iPhone that I can stay logged into. I have beejive on the iPhone, and while it will use push email to notify you of messages and keeps you logged in, it is still unreliable and you WILL miss people messaging you only to notice when you open the app up and you get a bunch of messages. I have an iPhone and I'm on the waiting list for a Pre. I'm keeping the iPhone as an iPod for the apps. I can't part with my apps and games, but everything else about the Pre is more suited to my needs than the iPhone at this point. I would say the iPhone tops the Pre right now, but that is largely because of the 2 years mobile osx has been out. I don't see any issues with the Pre that won't be fixed by the release of the SDK and updates.
    How is the Pre more suited to your needs? Explain this.
    iphone can do everything a Pre can and then some except multitask which is a huge battery drain and completely overrated. Who really needs to multitask on their phone.
    Some of the huge advantages the iphone has are:
    - Downloading and renting video/music straight to the phone.
    - Autofocus camera + Video
    - True 3D acceleration
    - Voice Control
    - Tethering (it already works with 3.0)
    - exchange sync
    - better battery
    to name a few.

    I can see if people dont like the iphone keyboard or ATT's service in some areas but other than that there really is no reason not to keep the iphone.
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Posting Permissions