Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1.    #81  
    bdhu2001, Thank you for your comment. You know I have not even considered dropping data completely from one of my iphones. I now have that decision to chew on ;> In the mean time I have reached out to my corporate sprint rep and asked what he can do for me. We'll see. At the very worst I'll let my AT&T plan expire in Dec and go shopping for a early x-mas present.
    Quote Originally Posted by timGSU View Post
    Here's an example for you (based on the iphone):

I'm surfing the web when I get a text message....

My choices are, ignore the txt or reply...

If I hit reply I'm basically closing the browser and opening messaging

Once I'm done with my text message I can open the browser back up, watch it re-load my webpage, and I can start surfing again.

Oh wait, a reply to my text message! Awesome, lemme just repeat that whole process to reply!

....do you understand why multitasking is great? (and isn't a battery drain, you must have got that line from Apples presentation, very lame)

I could give a few more examples, maybe throw in an e-mail in the mix, but I hope you get the point.
    Well I guess if you knew much about the iphone you dont have to close the browser to text. They actually make an App for that. Nice try though.
    Quote Originally Posted by jsbaugh View Post
    Well I guess if you knew much about the iphone you dont have to close the browser to text. They actually make an App for that. Nice try though.
    What if an email comes in, or an IM, or a phone call, or an MMS?

How would you reply to an MMS without closing the browser?

There are a million more examples where that came from--I think you are being purportedly-dense.
    Quote Originally Posted by ScrapMaker View Post
    What if an email comes in, or an IM, or a phone call, or an MMS?

How would you reply to an MMS without closing the browser?

There are a million more examples where that came from--I think you are being purportedly-dense.

Be interesting to hear the answer. based on what I hear, it shouldnt matter as MMS is handled by the SMS application.

iphone does multitask for the core functions (web browser, SMS texts, email, itunes). Obviously pandora wont, but i think pandora sucks anyway as I have a device with the music I know I like in better sound quality.

Still waiting to hear from Sprint my pre is ready... They said 2 days, its been 3...no word yet.
    Man I think Pandora is pretty bad ***...
    Quote Originally Posted by ScrapMaker View Post
    Man I think Pandora is pretty bad ***...
    Not sure if you mean good or bad.

Personally, I never got why people like pandora so much. The couple times I tried it I found it was a neat idea, but in practice the stuff was not to my taste. It's why I have a device to play music I like...
    Quote Originally Posted by searchable View Post
    Be interesting to hear the answer. based on what I hear, it shouldnt matter as MMS is handled by the SMS application.

iphone does multitask for the core functions (web browser, SMS texts, email, itunes). Obviously pandora wont, but i think pandora sucks anyway as I have a device with the music I know I like in better sound quality.

Still waiting to hear from Sprint my pre is ready... They said 2 days, its been 3...no word yet.
    Does IM run in the background on the iPhone?
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    Does IM run in the background on the iPhone?
    What's IM? lol, who uses that anymore...everyone I know moved on to SMS.

And, as of tomorrow, IM apps will be able to work in "background" without sucking battery power thanks to the notification system available iphone OS 3.

Lovely description of the system:

You got me curious to see it in action, here's AIM using push on the iphone
    http://www.techcrunch.com/2009/06/10...tion-with-aim/
    Last edited by searchable; 06/16/2009 at 07:48 PM.

And, as of tomorrow, IM apps will be able to work in "background" without sucking battery power thanks to the notification system available iphone OS 3.

So, does that mean as of tomorrow you can go hang out in the iPhone forum and talk about how terrific it is? Good.
    You manipulate Pandora to play music you like, and show you new stuff too...
    My tech buddy at work laments the fact that he can't use Bluetooth stereo headset with his iPhone. I had no idea that the only way you can listen to your media applications in stereo from the iPhone is with wired headsets.

What is the purpose of having such a great media device with Bluetooth if you can't listen to the Media in wirelessly in stereo?

You may as well keep your iPod and save the monthly cost on the iPhone. Anyway, I'm glad to hear that the updated 3Gs won't have this problem. The Palm OS had this issue, but Softick wrote software to enable users to use bluetooth stereo heads for the cost of a few bucks.

I told my buddy to contact Softick to see if they'd write one for the iPhone and he said "that's the problem with a closed platform, Softick can't write and sell an app to fix this.

OKay iPhone users, that sucks. If this update for your phones doesn't work or if you don't get the Bluetooth update soon or if it doesn't work right, contact someone from your app store and have them contact the developers at Softick Audio Gateway. Three years of having a Bluetooth device that you can't listen to in Wirelessly through Bluetooth is rediculous.
    Quote Originally Posted by GMoney749 View Post
    So, does that mean as of tomorrow you can go hang out in the iPhone forum and talk about how terrific it is? Good.
    No, that happens after I get the Pre I am waiting to receive. It is funny, i am not an iPhone zealot or something, I am a technology zealot. Love to learn about different systems etc. Its irritating when people misrepresent facts about systems, especially with the iPhone which is the one that makes many here soooo defensive.

I think it's a neat idea that iphone did the notifications, and would like to see Pre do something similar as well as backgrounding which is a big flaw in the iphone.

Quote Originally Posted by bdhu2001 View Post
    My tech buddy at work laments the fact that he can't use Bluetooth stereo headset with his iPhone. I had no idea that the only way you can listen to your media applications in stereo from the iPhone is with wired headsets.

What is the purpose of having such a great media device with Bluetooth if you can't listen to the Media in wirelessly in stereo?

You may as well keep your iPod and save the monthly cost on the iPhone. Anyway, I'm glad to hear that the updated 3Gs won't have this problem. The Palm OS had this issue, but Softick wrote software to enable users to use bluetooth stereo heads for the cost of a few bucks.

I told my buddy to contact Softick to see if they'd write one for the iPhone and he said "that's the problem with a closed platform, Softick can't write and sell an app to fix this.

OKay iPhone users, that sucks. If this update for your phones doesn't work or if you don't get the Bluetooth update soon or if it doesn't work right, contact someone from your app store and have them contact the developers at Softick Audio Gateway. Three years of having a Bluetooth device that you can't listen to in Wirelessly through Bluetooth is rediculous.
    Actually, iphone OS 3 supports bluetooth stereo on 3G and 3GS devices. Tell your friend to update tomorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by bdhu2001 View Post
    having a Bluetooth device that you can't listen to in Wirelessly through Bluetooth is ridiculous.
    I concur.

You got me curious to see it in action, here's AIM using push on the iphone
    It's a start for sure. But until you can multitask, it's just another annoying notification that gets in the way of any other app, just like texts.

As for your first line, we're glad the world operates by your methods...
    Quote Originally Posted by purefx View Post
    As for your first line, we're glad the world operates by your methods...
    Really, you and who else is the "we're"? Glad to see some group agrees with your statement LOL..
    Quote Originally Posted by jsbaugh View Post
    How is the Pre more suited to your needs? Explain this.
    iphone can do everything a Pre can and then some except multitask which is a huge battery drain and completely overrated. Who really needs to multitask on their phone.
    Some of the huge advantages the iphone has are:
    - Downloading and renting video/music straight to the phone.
    - Autofocus camera + Video
    - True 3D acceleration
    - Voice Control
    - Tethering (it already works with 3.0)
    - exchange sync
    - better battery
    to name a few.

I can see if people dont like the iphone keyboard or ATT's service in some areas but other than that there really is no reason not to keep the iphone.
    - Tethering (it already works with 3.0)
    AT&T won't be allowing it in the States. No kidding! And check out the piece at palmgoon.com. They've already managed to tether the Pre. I don't think (not sure) that would happen with Apple's locked down phone.
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    Really, you and who else is the "we're"? Glad to see some group agrees with your statement LOL..
    The obvious point is that you're judging the world by your own standard. Don't try to turn it around and make him look egocentric, because it's not working.

It doesn't matter whether you use IM still (I know MANY who do, although if/when the Pre gets Facebook chat integration it will be much more useful for me personally), or if you just use SMS, the Pre handles both of them in the same application, seamlessly. In either case, your conversations don't interrupt your workflow by alerting you to every new message in the same annoying way a web browser shows popup ads. It's a rare, yet glaring design flaw in an Apple product.

The sooner Apple fanboys start admitting that some things Apple does are stupid, the sooner Apple can try to actually improve their products. If they're blind to their flaws or embrace them simply because they're done "on purpose", Apple will just fall to the wayside when another company comes along which is willing to hear and respond to feedback better than they could.

Now I'm totally confused. If "everyone" has moved on to SMS, why is Apple working on notification systems for it?

Odd...

But, it must be the right thing to do, it's Apple...

Right?

You know, Yogi Berra once said "No one goes there anymore, it's too crowded". I think that's the equal to fanboy logic.
    Originally posted by searchable
    . . .Actually, iphone OS 3 supports bluetooth stereo on 3G and 3GS devices. Tell your friend to update tomorrow.
    This conversation was today, so after some research he discovered that there would be an update for the regular iPhones and he is happy about this. However, people have tried to get the iPhone to work through Stereo Bluetooth before and had the sound coming from both the phone and the headset. That's why I said if it doesn't work.

I'm actually happy for all of you iPhone users, but I know that Softick has been in the business of making that type of software work for quite some time.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for all of you that the software works and you'll experience the freeing mobility of not being tied to your media device by wires. It is the bomb at the gym and while your moving around in the yard or biking. You'll love it.
    Last edited by bdhu2001; 06/16/2009 at 08:57 PM.
    Wow, so much misinformation in this thread...

- The 3.0 update for the iPhone available tomorrow (for even the previous-gen 3G) will offer A2DP (stereo over Bluetooth). Personally, I don't see the appeal with this. The specialized headsets are more expensive, have worse audio quality, and need to be charged. But whatever floats your boat.

- Tethering has been *hacked* for the pre. This is not official. You need to hack your device to have this. With a jailbroken (hacked) iPhone, you could have done this for a while now, too.

- A lot of iPhone users complain about several aspects of the iPhone. There are iPhone fanboys who never complain...but look around the forums here and you'll find lots of pre fanboys who dismiss any/all complainjts about the pre.
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast