Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 110
  1. #61  
    Quote Originally Posted by timGSU View Post
    Both have problems, I can't comprehend why you say it's "worse". I've had 0 problems with call quality on Sprint with the Pre and I came from an iPhone 3g. Whereas I dropped calls like it was going out of style while using ATT.
    My experience is the opposite, especially in building, but it depends on where you live. A lot of the areas that I spend my time in have really lousy Sprint service, at least as far as my Pre goes.
  2. sevink's Avatar
    Posts
    35 Posts
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    #62  
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug D View Post
    Hey all, Wow it's great that my initial question has brought back some great info from you guys. Boy you palm guys are a passionate bunch ;> Now here is a simple question. If I break my AT&T contract for two iphone's 4 months before the term date, how much is AT&T going to hit me with for a early term fee? I believe they start at $175.00 per phone and subtract $ 5 each month you stay in plan? So if my math is right (my math suck btw), I'm looking at about $80 per phone for my term fee if I do it today?
    My second question is how do I convince my wife the pre is the right phone for her? She loved the iphone, ok well love is not the correct term but I'm trying to keep her happy ;> ... any advise? Thanks. Doug D
    What I would do is simple, don't break your contract before you try the Pre out. Sprint has a 30 day back thing, I would just try to convince your wife to let you buy a Pre and try it out. I know I walked out of Sprint paying 318 bucks (will be getting 100 back) and having to put no deposit down. Just put the money upfront for the Pre try it out, let her have it a few days and see what you think. The Pre really is a great phone and does tons of amazing stuff, but I wouldn't break your contract till you really want to.

    Another idea is to find someone to pick up your phone/contract for free OR sell it to someone for cheap. A friend of mine is picking up my Blackberry Storm and contract for free, so I'm not going to get hit with an early termination fee, that's another option for you.
  3. timGSU's Avatar
    Posts
    167 Posts
    Global Posts
    210 Global Posts
    #63  
    Quote Originally Posted by jsbaugh View Post
    Wow all that and you still didnt explain what you need multitasking for? So you can listen to music and respond to an email at the same time. Sorry not good enough and not worth the battery drain.
    Multitasking is the most overrated feature on the Pre as its really the only feature Pre owners blurt out when comparing it against the iphone. When you get really desperate just use the classic "well I save $39 a month with the Pre" . That will usually make the iphone owners run for cover.
    Here's an example for you (based on the iphone):

    I'm surfing the web when I get a text message....

    My choices are, ignore the txt or reply...

    If I hit reply I'm basically closing the browser and opening messaging

    Once I'm done with my text message I can open the browser back up, watch it re-load my webpage, and I can start surfing again.

    Oh wait, a reply to my text message! Awesome, lemme just repeat that whole process to reply!

    ....do you understand why multitasking is great? (and isn't a battery drain, you must have got that line from Apples presentation, very lame)

    I could give a few more examples, maybe throw in an e-mail in the mix, but I hope you get the point.
  4. sevink's Avatar
    Posts
    35 Posts
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    #64  
    Quote Originally Posted by timGSU View Post
    Here's an example for you (based on the iphone):

    I'm surfing the web when I get a text message....

    My choices are, ignore the txt or reply...

    If I hit reply I'm basically closing the browser and opening messaging

    Once I'm done with my text message I can open the browser back up, watch it re-load my webpage, and I can start surfing again.

    Oh wait, a reply to my text message! Awesome, lemme just repeat that whole process to reply!

    ....do you understand why multitasking is great? (and isn't a battery drain, you must have got that line from Apples presentation, very lame)

    I could give a few more examples, maybe throw in an e-mail in the mix, but I hope you get the point.

    Great example, I was going to respond with something similar but most people don't like logic.
  5. #65  
    great example I actually never thought of it that way until so clearly shown. That would be neat. Hopefully they can work out any bugs and release it in future updates. That is the cool thing about Apple in that they have practically given everything people ask for... albeit painfully slow.

    Quote Originally Posted by timGSU View Post
    Here's an example for you (based on the iphone):

    I'm surfing the web when I get a text message....

    My choices are, ignore the txt or reply...

    If I hit reply I'm basically closing the browser and opening messaging

    Once I'm done with my text message I can open the browser back up, watch it re-load my webpage, and I can start surfing again.

    Oh wait, a reply to my text message! Awesome, lemme just repeat that whole process to reply!

    ....do you understand why multitasking is great? (and isn't a battery drain, you must have got that line from Apples presentation, very lame)

    I could give a few more examples, maybe throw in an e-mail in the mix, but I hope you get the point.
  6. #66  
    I'm pretty tempted by the new iPhone now. I wasn't before the WWDC but they have totally nailed one of the key things I use on a phone and that's Sat Nav. In the UK that is, TomTom is pretty much the best and it looks stunning on the iPhone.
    Man I'm stuck but it's like they say, what you REALLY need to do is think what you really need to do on a phone, besides you know make to odd call and for me Apple have nailed one now.
  7. #67  
    Another example of multi-tasking in action (2 hour car ride with the Pre over the weekend). Pre plugged into charger, mounted to a universal phone holder clip attached to my A/C vent:

    - Pandora is playing, plugged in to AUX in port of in-dash radio
    - Navigator is running, showing me the way to palm springs (california)
    - Text messages are rolling in- my passenger replies to the important ones for me
    - Phone calls are rolling in (answered with factory hands-free system in car)
    - Emails are rolling in

    All at the same time. Notifications pop up at the -bottom- of the screen, not an annoying popup in the MIDDLE of the screen (like some other phones) that would require tapping "OK" to dismiss.

    = Life is good.
    Submit your Pre feature requests and vote up the best at http://pre.uservoice.com
  8. #68  
    Quote Originally Posted by odditory View Post
    Another example of multi-tasking in action (2 hour car ride with the Pre over the weekend). Pre plugged into charger, mounted to a universal phone holder clip attached to my A/C vent:

    - Pandora is playing, plugged in to AUX in port of in-dash radio
    - Navigator is running, showing me the way to palm springs (california)
    - Text messages are rolling in- my passenger replies to the important ones for me
    - Phone calls are rolling in (answered with factory hands-free system in car)
    - Emails are rolling in

    All at the same time. Notifications pop up at the -bottom- of the screen, not an annoying popup in the MIDDLE of the screen (like some other phones) that would require tapping "OK" to dismiss.

    = Life is good.
    Something doesn't add up in your example. I believe the Sprint network can't transfer data at the same time as voice calls.

    Joke: Oh and good thing you brought that engine along with you to keep the Pre powered with all that going on... likely have lasted 1hr without some gas powered help. LOL
  9. timGSU's Avatar
    Posts
    167 Posts
    Global Posts
    210 Global Posts
    #69  
    Quote Originally Posted by JRBTempe View Post

    I did a couple of posts on my website (Blogging Bookwalter) which go into further detail about my likes & dislikes on the Pre. WebOS is an exciting new platform and I think it has a bright future ahead, but right now the Pre is too crippled to recommend over the iPhone, which is moving into OS 3.0 this week and finally adding some much-needed functionality. But I'll be keeping an eye on the Pre and the growth of WebOS... have only had it just over a week now, so I'm looking forward to comparing it to iPhone OS 3.0 when my 3Gs 32 GB shows up on Friday...
    I'm reading your review, and I read something that I'm surprised about.....you said:

    "Multitasking:
    Great as it may be, I got numerous, disturbing error messages about closing some apps to free up memory, even with only a few apps open. And the battery life seems to be taking a serious hit from it as well, which makes you think that Apple was on the right path when they chose to avoid doing it with the iPhone. Time will tell."

    I have never got that message.....until now.....when I opened 20 cards of different applications and couldn't open the 21st card. So I challenge you, what did you have open that you got "numerous" messages....because I should be able to easily duplicate your experience, no?
  10. timGSU's Avatar
    Posts
    167 Posts
    Global Posts
    210 Global Posts
    #70  
    I don't get your photos comment about "iphone 1.0, 2.0" has better quality photos as the "pre 1.0". I've extensively compared the photo's and the photos of the same subject matter just look better on the pre. I don't think the difference is as huge as one would expect, but it's there. (response to JRBTempe's review)
  11. #71  
    Quote Originally Posted by timGSU View Post
    I have never got that message.....until now.....when I opened 20 cards of different applications and couldn't open the 21st card. So I challenge you, what did you have open that you got "numerous" messages....because I should be able to easily duplicate your experience, no?
    it really depends on the memory consumption, sometimes a few app can consume large amount of memory, but it is rare in my experiences. I am not surprised webOS has memory protection against such situation, to stable the system.

    Its definitely not "everywhere" nor "all the time", I doubt its a common problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by searchable View Post
    Something doesn't add up in your example. I believe the Sprint network can't transfer data at the same time as voice calls.
    thats true, however, all those apps can still run together, the data transfer will just temporarily halt and will resume automatically in background when the call ended. From an enduser's point of view, it really is quite smooth, with no obvious interruptions.
  12. Septro's Avatar
    Posts
    35 Posts
    Global Posts
    93 Global Posts
    #72  
    I debated between the two. I own a iPod Touch and love the app store, apple has that nailed. But when upgrading from the HTC touch to the Pre - the Pre has it down pat on the 'naturalness' of using a smartphone.

    - Notifications are seemless and don't disturb the main application. It let's you decide it you want to engage it or disregard it. When an email comes in you can ignore, read the specific email or open the whole mailbox, up to you - absolutely perfect.

    - Synergy is the best feature of the Pre. Still has kinks to work out, specifically on the calendar (manual sync'n for now) but aggregating your email and contacts but still maintaining them as separate instances to limit collusion. Automatic Facebook updates for your contacts changes the whole dynamic of how you maintain your information. No more manually entering birthdays or when someone's number changes or updating their photo - The contact themselves are now authoritative for that information on your phone!

    - Multitasking works.. running apps in background just can not be beat. You require multitasking on your PC, why would expect your phone to do any less? The card switching really is intuitive to use and essentially mimics the Apple coverflow method to cycle through open apps.

    - The Palm App-store is anemic, but the speed of the updates lead me to infer at the ease of development for the platform. Apple has a 3 year start on both great apps and ****ty ones as well. I have confidence Palm will get their own great apps and a few fart-ones as well.

    - The Ipod software keyboard does not in any way shape or form compete with the Pre hardware keyboard. I'm not a small man by any measure and my fat fingers cruise easily with the Pre's keyboard compared to the mistake-prone and non tactile feel of the Apple software keyboard.

    So far, I'm really satisfied for a 1.0v of the phone in terms of hardware and software. Great first salvo and a concrete legitimate contender as an iPhone competitor. The Pre makes the G1 look like a fisher-price phone as a competitor and deserves the kudos it has so far received.
  13. #73  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jojus777 View Post
    - I've had Treos in the past and Loved them! Small Keyboards and all and while I know the OS is completly different, it remains a Palm OS! What ever is lacking now will be fixed soon if there past still holds merit.
    It is a "Palm" in name only. The new team does not understand or appreciate what made the Palm OS special. You should love/hate the pre for what it brings to the table on its own.

    In some respects, the new team may bring some *good* things, though. I'm not sure what you're referring to when you give kudos to Palm for their history of fixing problems or adding features...they were never really known for fixing things very well or expeditiously, nor were they known for adding new features via software updates.

    Regarding some other posts in this thread...I have to say that I feel like I'm in a whole new world here. Is this the same place where long-time Treo users used to dwell? All of a sudden, multitasking is the cat's pajamas and if a device doesn't have it, it's lame? It wasn't long ago that the Palm OS couldn't multitask, but WinMo could, and there were many of us defending the Palm OS' method of saving state, etc. Multitasking is indeed an advantage, but it often comes at some costs. Would I rather have it than not? Sure, especially if done well (ease of task-switching, and a non-horrible end result in terms of performance breakdown). But it isn't the end-all, be-all, and a device can still be great even if can't multitasking. The classic Palm OS was an example of that, and the iPhone is as well. I wouldn't buy a device just because it could.

    I've owned more than my fair share of WinMo devices and have been very frustrated with the experience every time. WebOS is heads and shoulders above WinMo in terms of the overall concept, but right now it's clearly buggy, the pre itself has its share of QC issues, and there's a major lack of software. The iPhone (even the new one) has its own set of negatives. You need to look at all of the features together, weighing each feature based on what your own needs are. This is one of those Oprah audience member obvious statements, designed for cheap applause, because it should be obvious to everyone.

    IMO, there's been far too much animosity/fanboy-ism around here lately. I still love the treocentral crew, and I'm willing to give some slack to the regular users here since it *is*, after all, a Palm-focused website, so it should come as no surprise that the majority will be defensive when the Palm product is criticized, but I think there used to be more openness to criticism of the Palm products here.
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
  14. #74  
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott R View Post
    I think there used to be more openness to criticism of the Palm products here.
    criticism should happen when there is a lot to be criticized. I think thats a major part.

    I remember tons of complaining about single tasking of palm OS classic. for example.

    Your point is still valid tho, just need a balance.
  15. #75  
    Back on topic, what tempts me now is that the new iphones have a lot more storage. Pre's measly 8gb seems so puny and expensive compared to the iphone (yes, plan wise ATT still more money)....
  16. #76  
    This aint your treocentral of the past. Palm went for the fat middle and obviously some of them found us at precentral.
  17. #77  
    Quote Originally Posted by timGSU View Post
    Here's an example for you (based on the iphone):

    I'm surfing the web when I get a text message....

    My choices are, ignore the txt or reply...

    If I hit reply I'm basically closing the browser and opening messaging

    Once I'm done with my text message I can open the browser back up, watch it re-load my webpage, and I can start surfing again.

    Oh wait, a reply to my text message! Awesome, lemme just repeat that whole process to reply!

    ....do you understand why multitasking is great? (and isn't a battery drain, you must have got that line from Apples presentation, very lame)

    I could give a few more examples, maybe throw in an e-mail in the mix, but I hope you get the point.
    Good example, but I think it's a waste of time trying to explain it to a Fanboy. For him to actually let "multitasking is overrated" come out of his mouth is just ludicrous. That, along with the power consumption BS, are obviously the big themes they're repeating at the cult meetings.
  18. #78  
    Originally posted by Doug D"
    Hey all, Wow it's great that my initial question has brought back some great info from you guys. Boy you palm guys are a passionate bunch ;> Now here is a simple question. If I break my AT&T contract for two iphone's 4 months before the term date, how much is AT&T going to hit me with for a early term fee? I believe they start at $175.00 per phone and subtract $ 5 each month you stay in plan? So if my math is right (my math suck btw), I'm looking at about $80 per phone for my term fee if I do it today?
    My second question is how do I convince my wife the pre is the right phone for her? She loved the iphone, ok well love is not the correct term but I'm trying to keep her happy ;> ... any advise? Thanks. Doug D
    Doug if you're happy with your phone it's not worth breaking your contract for. However, I've found that the requirement for the two year contract does not mean that you have to keep data. Sprint is so much cheaper, that I was able to use one of my old phones and switch off data and insurance with Verizon. Then I paid for data and the Pre and still came out cheaper. If my family of 4 switches, I'll save even more. In other-words both plans together still cost less money than my current plan. I reduced my Verizion phone to minimum minutes, eliminated data, sms, and all the other dinky things that Verizon charges for.

    Based on my research I gave my family the option of coming over one phone at a time as their plans run out or come now and get the data phone of their choice. So far two of them love my Pre and state they'll get the same thing, but they'll wait 3-6 months for me to tell them when the bugs are gone. The third person states he'll keep his Blackberry or look at an iPhone. Oh well, there's always one in the bunch.
  19. #79  
    What I don't get is how everyone says, "Apple nailed the app store."

    How? So far as I can see, they:
    - restrict everything like gods.
    - charge for some programs that should be free, (a la Windows Mobile.)
    - make it so you HAVE to use the app store--cannot load manually
    - have mostly fart/toy applications in the catalog.

    How is this 'nailed'? I'm a bit confused. The only success they have here is that it's more popular, because it's the first unified store. There have been larger online stores/collaborations of Windows Mobile software, like on Softpedia, or whatnot, and is just as easy as the app store.

    The only difference between the Pre and the iPhone in terms of app store, is that the Pre is growing so much faster than the iPhone did at launch. Pre supports app-upgrading, and automatically reloads your applications when you switch phones.

    I've heard people say those exact words... "Apple nailed the app store..." nearly a hundred times in online posts, reviews, blogs, comparisons, etc... I just don't get it.

    I would much rather be able to drag-and-drop my program to my phone, while maintaining the option--if so desired--to use a storefront for purchase.
  20. shadrap's Avatar
    Posts
    161 Posts
    Global Posts
    308 Global Posts
    #80  
    Quote Originally Posted by ScrapMaker View Post
    What I don't get is how everyone says, "Apple nailed the app store."

    How? So far as I can see, they:
    - restrict everything like gods.
    - charge for some programs that should be free, (a la Windows Mobile.)
    - make it so you HAVE to use the app store--cannot load manually
    - have mostly fart/toy applications in the catalog.

    How is this 'nailed'? I'm a bit confused. The only success they have here is that it's more popular, because it's the first unified store. There have been larger online stores/collaborations of Windows Mobile software, like on Softpedia, or whatnot, and is just as easy as the app store.

    The only difference between the Pre and the iPhone in terms of app store, is that the Pre is growing so much faster than the iPhone did at launch. Pre supports app-upgrading, and automatically reloads your applications when you switch phones.

    I've heard people say those exact words... "Apple nailed the app store..." nearly a hundred times in online posts, reviews, blogs, comparisons, etc... I just don't get it.

    I would much rather be able to drag-and-drop my program to my phone, while maintaining the option--if so desired--to use a storefront for purchase.
    Some choose quantity over quality. That being said, I do hope more apps show soon, but I would rather have quality.
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Posting Permissions