Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jsbaugh View Post
    How is the Pre more suited to your needs? Explain this.
    iphone can do everything a Pre can and then some except multitask which is a huge battery drain and completely overrated. Who really needs to multitask on their phone.
    Some of the huge advantages the iphone has are:
    - Downloading and renting video/music straight to the phone.
    - Autofocus camera + Video
    - True 3D acceleration
    - Voice Control
    - Tethering (it already works with 3.0)
    - exchange sync
    - better battery
    to name a few.

I can see if people dont like the iphone keyboard or ATT's service in some areas but other than that there really is no reason not to keep the iphone.
    Hmmm someone needs to do their homework a little better. The Pre has very similar hardware specs as the iPhone 3gs. From what I have read on the Pre's hardware specs to the iPhone 3gs, they both support the latest in 3D hardware acceleration. They have the same CPU/Graphics chipset. The have the same amount of Ram (256MB). So the Pre does have potential for games, but that is not what it is really geared towards. I converted from the iPhone 3g to the Pre. I also owned the original iPhone. Yes, the Pre does have some issues, but they should be fixed over time with updates. This is a brand new plateform. It will take time to get it where it needs to be. The Pre and WebOS has a lot of potential.

- Garrett
    How is the Pre more suited to your needs? Explain this.
    iphone can do everything a Pre can and then some except multitask which is a huge battery drain and completely overrated. Who really needs to multitask on their phone.
    Hahahahaha... Please tell me you didn't just say that. Can I use that as my sig? Nevermind I'm taking it- that's comedy GOLD. That just made my day since it crystallizes the reality distortion spell that Apple has its vampire nation under.

I have both an iPhone 3G and a Pre right now on my desk, I like them both, but the Pre is where things are headed- you can smell it in the air. If nothing else, iPhone owners should rejoice because it puts a fire under Apple to start innovating again, which they haven't done in about 2 years as the iPhone 3GS is testament to.

The quandary for Apple is the Iphone 3GS is the first Iphone with a CPU powerful enough to support preemptive multitasking, but they're stuck unable to drastically change the O/S without splitting the community and alienating owners of the previous generations. Further discussion on CPU differences: AnandTech
    Submit your Pre feature requests and vote up the best at http://pre.uservoice.com
    pre FTW. between a g1, an iphone 3g and the pre, the pre takes the cake.

similar capabilities.

advantage to iphone: apps (soon pre will catch up)
    advantage to pre: size, phys keyboard, open source, smaller, more durable (try dropping an iphone more than a 1/4" from the ground and watch what happens), true multi-tasking, cheaper plan, etc etc
    advantage g1: *chirp chirp*, ok that was mean, it's a decent handset on a garbage carrier w/ decent plan pricing and android is decent
    Quote Originally Posted by odditory View Post
    Hahahahaha... Please tell me you didn't just say that. Can I use that as my sig? Nevermind I'm taking it- that's comedy GOLD. That just made my day since it crystallizes the reality distortion spell that Apple has its vampire nation under.

I have both an iPhone 3G and a Pre right now on my desk, I like them both, but the Pre is where things are headed- you can smell it in the air. If nothing else, iPhone owners should rejoice because it puts a fire under Apple to start innovating again, which they haven't done in about 2 years as the iPhone 3GS is testament to.

The quandary for Apple is the Iphone 3GS is the first Iphone with a CPU powerful enough to support preemptive multitasking, but they're stuck unable to drastically change the O/S without splitting the community and alienating owners of the previous generations. [/url]
    Wow all that and you still didnt explain what you need multitasking for? So you can listen to music and respond to an email at the same time. Sorry not good enough and not worth the battery drain.
    Multitasking is the most overrated feature on the Pre as its really the only feature Pre owners blurt out when comparing it against the iphone. When you get really desperate just use the classic "well I save $39 a month with the Pre" . That will usually make the iphone owners run for cover.
    Wow all that and you still didnt explain what you need multitasking for? So you can listen to music and respond to an email at the same time. Sorry not good enough and not worth the battery drain.
    Multitasking is the most overrated feature on the Pre as its really the only feature Pre owners blurt out when comparing it against the iphone. When you get really desperate just use the classic "well I save $39 a month with the Pre" . That will usually make the iphone owners run for cover.
    Seeing as how you now have a grand total of Three Posts, can we mark you as a troll and move on?

Have fun on your iphone... many people love it, we're just not one of them
    For the record I do not own a Pre, and I have been using the iPhone 3g since last November. I have been to the Sprint store twice and played with the Pre for about 2 hours total I guess. Multitasking is a big deal. I love Apple, I actually own an iMac, Macbook, and like I said, iPhone.

I don't know about you but I pay about $145/month for an everything plan w/ unlimited talk at ATT. I get a 15% discount for my job, but my bill still ends up being around $150 after taxes. Not to mention that that the iPhone DOESN'T have the option to purchase insurance (AppleCare is NOT insurance).

For Sprint I'm looking at paying $100 after discount and taxes each month. $50/mo savings X 24mo. (length of contract) = $1200 savings. $600/yr. Not to mention I pay $100/yr for MobileMe. $700. I don't know about anyone else, but I'm a student and I also work. $700/yr is a lot of savings for me.

That being said, I am an Apple Fanboiiiii and before I can justify the switch Palm has to work out some of these bugs people are talking about....a lot. It's a really tough decision, though.
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by polochris View Post
    For the record I do not own a Pre, and I have been using the iPhone 3g since last November. I have been to the Sprint store twice and played with the Pre for about 2 hours total I guess. Multitasking is a big deal. I love Apple, I actually own an iMac, Macbook, and like I said, iPhone.

I don't know about you but I pay about $145/month for an everything plan w/ unlimited talk at ATT. I get a 15% discount for my job, but my bill still ends up being around $150 after taxes. Not to mention that that the iPhone DOESN'T have the option to purchase insurance (AppleCare is NOT insurance).

For Sprint I'm looking at paying $100 after discount and taxes each month. $50/mo savings X 24mo. (length of contract) = $1200 savings. $600/yr. Not to mention I pay $100/yr for MobileMe. $700. I don't know about anyone else, but I'm a student and I also work. $700/yr is a lot of savings for me.

That being said, I am an Apple Fanboiiiii and before I can justify the switch Palm has to work out some of these bugs people are talking about....a lot. It's a really tough decision, though.
    Polochris,
    You, good sir, are an Apple Realist.

Refreshing, to say the least.
    get the pre. even with some bugs its still better than other phones. i do miss certain aspects of my winmo phone though (Htc touch pro). i liked the ability to fully customize everything but im hoping the webOS matures (sooner rather than later). I am keeping my winmo phone for the time being though....
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    You, sir, are in denial and a sad little person indeed.
    Not to mention I pay $100/yr for MobileMe. $700.
    You need to learn about ebay resellers of Mac equipment. You can get mobileme easily for $63 for a 1yr subscription, i know someone who bought an old packaged version that was called Dot Mac and got a 1yr subscription (it's the same thing as Mobile Me, just old packaging) for $35.

This is also true for Applecare. MUCH cheaper via ebay then from Apple!
    Ok so $63/yr....that would be $663 extra. Grand total $1326 over 2 years.

ok.
    Last edited by polochris; 06/15/2009 at 05:41 PM. Reason: spelling
    Quote Originally Posted by searchable View Post
    You need to learn about ebay resellers of Mac equipment. You can get mobileme easily for $63 for a 1yr subscription, i know someone who bought an old packaged version that was called Dot Mac and got a 1yr subscription (it's the same thing as Mobile Me, just old packaging) for $35.

This is also true for Applecare. MUCH cheaper via ebay then from Apple!
    Wait, you have to PAY MONEY for MobileMe?

Apple fanatics are hard-core.
    To be honest though, MobileMe is a good service and works great. Wireless syncing of ALL your equipment (computers, phones, both mac and pc).....it's one of the reasons I am having a hard decision moving over to the Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by ScrapMaker View Post
    Wait, you have to PAY MONEY for MobileMe?

Apple fanatics are hard-core.
    Ya, I wouldn't use it... but it does make some things easier for non-techy people with multiple calendars etc.
    To be honest though, MobileMe is a good service and works great. Wireless syncing of ALL your equipment (computers, phones, both mac and pc).....it's one of the reasons I am having a hard decision moving over to the Pre.
    Does it do anything more than Google/Gmail/etc, or Microsoft Exchange?

Never read much on it, but I sure wouldn't pay money for it
    Google does all this for free.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    I'm a new poster, so forgive me if my response sounds a bit noobish, but I was out of contract for sprint and I had the decision of the 3GS or the pre and I chose the Pre for a number of reasons.
    - I've had Treos in the past and Loved them! Small Keyboards and all and while I know the OS is completly different, it remains a Palm OS! What ever is lacking now will be fixed soon if there past still holds merit.
    - Aside from a speed and power boost, the 3GS is still the same ol' story, I was hoping for a varriation of some sort in the new rendition even in only an asthetic way. (Forgive Typos Please)
    -At the end of the day it came down to rooting for the underdog! This company gave me great experiences in the past, why not give em another shot in their 11th hour. They are taking a gamble with this why not return the favor! Apple can flop on this phone and not have much to worry about. With out the trust of former and new Palm users, Palm really could bite the big one...
    -And Not to Mention, the phone is pretty friggin sweet!
    Global Posts
    210 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    It's not great but the Pre's problems with Sprint are even worse.
    Both have problems, I can't comprehend why you say it's "worse". I've had 0 problems with call quality on Sprint with the Pre and I came from an iPhone 3g. Whereas I dropped calls like it was going out of style while using ATT.
    Quote Originally Posted by ScrapMaker View Post
    Does it do anything more than Google/Gmail/etc, or Microsoft Exchange?

Never read much on it, but I sure wouldn't pay money for it
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    Google does all this for free.
    Yes, but it takes some knowledge to get it all to work and keep working seamlessly between many different devices. Some people rather pay $60 to not deal with possible complications etc.
  20.    #60  
    Hey all, Wow it's great that my initial question has brought back some great info from you guys. Boy you palm guys are a passionate bunch ;> Now here is a simple question. If I break my AT&T contract for two iphone's 4 months before the term date, how much is AT&T going to hit me with for a early term fee? I believe they start at $175.00 per phone and subtract $ 5 each month you stay in plan? So if my math is right (my math suck btw), I'm looking at about $80 per phone for my term fee if I do it today?
    My second question is how do I convince my wife the pre is the right phone for her? She loved the iphone, ok well love is not the correct term but I'm trying to keep her happy ;> ... any advise? Thanks. Doug D
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast