Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 110
  1. #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by jsbaugh View Post
    How is the Pre more suited to your needs? Explain this.
    iphone can do everything a Pre can and then some except multitask which is a huge battery drain and completely overrated. Who really needs to multitask on their phone.
    Some of the huge advantages the iphone has are:
    - Downloading and renting video/music straight to the phone.
    - Autofocus camera + Video
    - True 3D acceleration
    - Voice Control
    - Tethering (it already works with 3.0)
    - exchange sync
    - better battery
    to name a few.

    I can see if people dont like the iphone keyboard or ATT's service in some areas but other than that there really is no reason not to keep the iphone.
    - The Pre downloads music straight to the phone
    - The Pre's camera is very good. Video is coming
    - The Pre supports exchange sync
    - The Pre's battery performance is identical to the 3GS
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
  2. #22  
    I do not miss my Iphone one bit. Very happy with the Pre it does everything my iphone did for me except I don't get intwrrupted and have to close my browser / pandora / whatever just to answer a text message or email / anything else.

    I also love the keyboard although it took a day or two to get used to.

    The app store needs time to develop but it is isanely easy to develop and put programs on the device simply because palm is leaving it open.

    I don't miss my iphone one bit. In fact after using both for 5 days I put my 3g iphone on ebay and I'm shipping it oit today. Happily.

    Great device. Used one for almost 2 years but it is last years device and time for me to move on.
  3. #23  
    iPhone user here, I hear great things about the Pre, and yes, the web browsing is a lot better.
    ( pre-wallpapers.com ) - Over 7000+ Wallpapers for your Palm Pre... Enjoy!
  4. #24  
    I had the iPhone and switched. ATT service is horrible!!
  5. #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by PalmGirl23 View Post
    I had the iPhone and switched. ATT service is horrible!!
    It's not great but the Pre's problems with Sprint are even worse.
  6. #26  
    I know someone else responded to you already, but I'll throw in my own thoughts. See below your quotes.

    Quote Originally Posted by jsbaugh View Post
    How is the Pre more suited to your needs? Explain this.
    iphone can do everything a Pre can and then some except multitask which is a huge battery drain and completely overrated. Who really needs to multitask on their phone.
    You are right, the iPhone pretty much can. Sometimes its not capabilities however, but how you do things. Palm's integration is much more unified than the iPhone from what I saw when I played with it. Notifications are well done, multi tasking is also well done, and synergy, while not perfect, can be updated and does things the iPhone does not do. Who really needs to multi task? I do... so please speak for yourself. Anyone who hasn't been frustrated at times by the iPhone's lack of multi tasking has got to be jaded. Why do my apps have to reload everytime I get a call? Why do I have to quit what I'm doing to do a 1 sec reply to a text message, one in which I may be having an actual conversation, causing me to just plain stop trying to use whatever app (or game) I was in? I don't even use half of the apps I have on this thing, because it's discouraging the phone portion gets in the way instead of seamlessly integrating. I think this is why it will be better for me as just an iPod, where I can just use the app and not have to worry about interruptions.

    Quote Originally Posted by jsbaugh View Post
    Some of the huge advantages the iphone has are:
    - Downloading and renting video/music straight to the phone.
    - Autofocus camera + Video
    - True 3D acceleration
    - Voice Control
    - Tethering (it already works with 3.0)
    - exchange sync
    - better battery
    to name a few.
    Since my original post reflected my personal reasons, let me retort once again with my opinions.

    I don't buy from iTunes outside of apps. That's in 2 years of iPhone use. The camera is nice, but not a big feature for me (as long as it has one... I'll use my DSLR for anything else). The Palm camera is decent, and video will be out for it (through palm or indy...). True 3D acceleration is something I'll agree with you on. However, if they update the iPod touches I can just get one of these if that's so important. I had phones with voice control before and never used it. Tethering is completely unimportant to me, and through ATT will cost you an arm and a leg. My company uses crappy Lotus Notes, so no exchange issues here. Better battery yes, but I will have an extra for my Pre anyway, because you know I can swap batteries...

    Quote Originally Posted by jsbaugh View Post
    I can see if people dont like the iphone keyboard or ATT's service in some areas but other than that there really is no reason not to keep the iphone.
    I think I'm justified here. The iPhone leaves me very unproductive and lazy, because accomplishing anything on it requires so many swipes and touches. I'll always respect the app platform that the iPhone has become, but really I feel that's where the iPhone's dominance begins and ends.

    Oh, and I plan on using that 30 day evaluation. If the Pre doesn't live up to my expectations over that period, I will likely get a 3GS, because this is the first phone that has even made me want to leave the iPhone.
    Last edited by purefx; 06/14/2009 at 04:58 PM.
  7. #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    - The Pre downloads music straight to the phone
    - The Pre's camera is very good. Video is coming
    - The Pre supports exchange sync
    - The Pre's battery performance is identical to the 3GS
    I'm sure he's referring to the EAS policy support on exchange sync for corporate use, but that is also coming.
  8.    #28  
    Guys, Thanks again for all the great comments. I really hope that palm see's the need to get the app store moving as soon as possible. Apple did it right with the iphone and comparing the Blackberry's apps store (yuk) and even Windows mobile (yeah right) they have a win, win situation on their hands if they can get the developers behind the phone and get the apps rolling. How does the pre and webos handle gaming? I know every platform has a solitaire or mine sweeper but how does the webos handle real games? Lets use sonic the hedgehog as an example since it's on every platform under the sun, can the pre play that?
    Anyway great thread .. thanks for all the great input. Doug D
  9. DuStU's Avatar
    Posts
    65 Posts
    Global Posts
    182 Global Posts
    #29  
    There arent any real games for the pre yet besides sudoku and some brain crap. I think its because they are focusing on the important apps 1st. I read that EA sports is going to have an app. What for I dont know but the phone will be capable of running some decent games. When adobe releases flash for the phone also this summer it will open a whole other web browsing and gaming experience for the pre. That being said some kid put doom on his pre just to show that he can just youtube coom on palm pre and youll see it. That being said once the sdk comes out we will see what games come out
  10. #30  
    I can only answer about IM. I mostly only use AIM, so its been great, I used to use Mundu on my Centro, in comparison, the AIM on Pre is much nicer, and seems to suck much less battery. My experience is that it can last all day (8 hours) running with 30% battery left.

    I don't have exact number since I always runs everything else together. but its indeed much better than I expected.

    I hope YIM, MSN will be available one way or another soon. maybe try to see if meebo works, or online YIM, etc.
  11. JRBTempe's Avatar
    Posts
    53 Posts
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    #31  
    I'm a two-generation iPhone user (moving into the 3rd generation this Friday!) who grabbed a Pre on launch day to give it a spin for my blog. There's a lot to like about the Pre... super-easy e-mail setup, IMAP IDLE push on my accounts (including my Dreamhost-hosted e-mail, which was a nice surprise!), unified e-mail inbox, multitasking and more... but ultimately I won't be keeping it. The keyboard is a major failing for me, as is the smaller screen size...*I'm just too used to the iPhone, and actually prefer the software keyboard method that Apple has devised.

    I did a couple of posts on my website (Blogging Bookwalter) which go into further detail about my likes & dislikes on the Pre. WebOS is an exciting new platform and I think it has a bright future ahead, but right now the Pre is too crippled to recommend over the iPhone, which is moving into OS 3.0 this week and finally adding some much-needed functionality. But I'll be keeping an eye on the Pre and the growth of WebOS... have only had it just over a week now, so I'm looking forward to comparing it to iPhone OS 3.0 when my 3Gs 32 GB shows up on Friday...
  12. #32  
    If you ask me...
    By december there'll be rumors of a new Pre device
    with better features, better apps(obviously...actually HOPEFULLY), and fixed bugs.
    Since December is somewhat a long ways away...I'd wait to see what people say about the Iphone 3G S, then compare to the Pre...then if there is rumblings about Pre 2, I'd shoot for that.
  13. #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by JRBTempe View Post
    I'm a two-generation iPhone user (moving into the 3rd generation this Friday!) who grabbed a Pre on launch day to give it a spin for my blog. There's a lot to like about the Pre... super-easy e-mail setup, IMAP IDLE push on my accounts (including my Dreamhost-hosted e-mail, which was a nice surprise!), unified e-mail inbox, multitasking and more... but ultimately I won't be keeping it. The keyboard is a major failing for me, as is the smaller screen size...*I'm just too used to the iPhone, and actually prefer the software keyboard method that Apple has devised.

    I did a couple of posts on my website (Blogging Bookwalter) which go into further detail about my likes & dislikes on the Pre. WebOS is an exciting new platform and I think it has a bright future ahead, but right now the Pre is too crippled to recommend over the iPhone, which is moving into OS 3.0 this week and finally adding some much-needed functionality. But I'll be keeping an eye on the Pre and the growth of WebOS... have only had it just over a week now, so I'm looking forward to comparing it to iPhone OS 3.0 when my 3Gs 32 GB shows up on Friday...
    I enjoyed your review of the Pre vs the iPhone. Very informative.
  14. #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by jsbaugh View Post
    How is the Pre more suited to your needs? Explain this.
    iphone can do everything a Pre can and then some except multitask which is a huge battery drain and completely overrated. Who really needs to multitask on their phone.
    Some of the huge advantages the iphone has are:
    - Downloading and renting video/music straight to the phone.
    - Autofocus camera + Video
    - True 3D acceleration
    - Voice Control
    - Tethering (it already works with 3.0)
    - exchange sync
    - better battery
    to name a few.
    yeah, repetitive, typical apple fanboy theory

    "anything apple's products can NOT do is useless"
    "anything apple's products can do is important"

    two years ago, is "who need tethering"? or "who need voice control"

    I bet when iPhone can do multitasking, maybe in 2012, you would jump on it and praising it to heaven, Jeesh.

    iphone can do everything Pre can do? what type of bald face lie is that? Does iPhone's camera has a flash light? does it do synergy? does it do usb mode? does it have removable battery? does it do wireless charging? does it offers quick dock when in a full screen app? does it push gmail?

    iPhone battery life is better? throw you out in a field with no charging source, guess who has better chance to last longer?

    how smart for you to selectively presenting the information? Guess removable battery is so meaningless that it doesn't worth mentioning after all?

    Some Apple fanboys are just always so unbelievable.
  15. #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    It's not great but the Pre's problems with Sprint are even worse.
    So true from a fellow sufferer. Right now counting down days till I return the Pre. If there isn't a fix for this reception problem within the next 2 weeks. I'll wait till they get better and get a gsm version. At least I know that I can get superior coverage with ATT here. I thought Sprint was great here. Between the poor reception on the PRE and mislaid coverage maps it's an adventure everyday here.
  16. #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by jsbaugh View Post
    How is the Pre more suited to your needs? Explain this.
    iphone can do everything a Pre can and then some except multitask which is a huge battery drain and completely overrated. Who really needs to multitask on their phone.
    Some of the huge advantages the iphone has are:
    - Downloading and renting video/music straight to the phone.
    - Autofocus camera + Video
    - True 3D acceleration
    - Voice Control
    - Tethering (it already works with 3.0)
    - exchange sync
    - better battery
    to name a few.

    I can see if people dont like the iphone keyboard or ATT's service in some areas but other than that there really is no reason not to keep the iphone.
    Fanboy,

    Multitasking isn't a big deal to you because your beloved iPhone can't do it. Even after a billion sold and 3 versions. You've obviously never used the Pre or you wouldn't say something that ignorant. Or maybe it's just because you can't see past the end of your iNose. You're wrong that it's a huge battery drain too. And even if my battery does crap out, I can swap it without the help of Lord Jobs or anybody else.

    The Pre can download movies, video and music straight to the phone. Plus Sprint TV.

    Mine syncs with Exchange without any problems, and I'm getting equal battery life to people I know who own iPhones.

    It also has an autofocus camera with flash that takes awesome pictures.

    Voice control and tethering will happen, and it won't take 3 versions of the phone to get to it.

    Maybe you should actually use the phone before rendering your expert opinion on it. As of last Saturday iPhone is now overrated, which is why the Cult is running scared. Try again.
  17. #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by GMoney749 View Post
    Fanboy,

    Multitasking isn't a big deal to you because your beloved iPhone can't do it. Even after a billion sold and 3 versions. You've obviously never used the Pre or you wouldn't say something that ignorant. Or maybe it's just because you can't see past the end of your iNose. You're wrong that it's a huge battery drain too. And even if my battery does crap out, I can swap it without the help of Lord Jobs or anybody else.

    The Pre can download movies, video and music straight to the phone. Plus Sprint TV.

    Mine syncs with Exchange without any problems, and I'm getting equal battery life to people I know who own iPhones.

    It also has an autofocus camera with flash that takes awesome pictures.

    Voice control and tethering will happen, and it won't take 3 versions of the phone to get to it.

    Maybe you should actually use the phone before rendering your expert opinion on it. As of last Saturday iPhone is now overrated, which is why the Cult is running scared. Try again.
    Actually, we don't have auto-focus, but the camera software does a bit of computational magic to help clean up situations where you might need it.
  18. #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by ScrapMaker View Post
    Actually, we don't have auto-focus, but the camera software does a bit of computational magic to help clean up situations where you might need it.
    My bad. Taking it back to the store then.
  19. #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by GMoney749 View Post
    My bad. Taking it back to the store then.
    Yeah this phone is an f'n piece of ish.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
  20. #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by GMoney749 View Post
    ...
    Or maybe it's just because you can't see past the end of your iNose.
    ...
    OK, I'm not moch into the "fanboi flames", bu this line was funny!
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Posting Permissions