1.    #1  
    Hi,

Like everyone else, I'm dealing with battery issues. So, I have a question - which is more efficient to keep running? WiFi or EVDO? At home and at work I have both available, so if the WiFi radio is less costly (in battery life) I will just leave it on. My guess, though, is it isn't.

Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by ormandj View Post
    Hi,

Like everyone else, I'm dealing with battery issues. So, I have a question - which is more efficient to keep running? WiFi or EVDO? At home and at work I have both available, so if the WiFi radio is less costly (in battery life) I will just leave it on. My guess, though, is it isn't.

Thanks!
    EVDO definitley sucks more power. Use WiFi when you can.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by bklynguy View Post
    EVDO definitley sucks more power. Use WiFi when you can.
    Awesome, that's excellent news. I thought it would be the other way around.

Cheers,
    David
  4.    #4  
    Update: I enabled wifi, but every time I turn on the screen after it has sat idle for a while, I see the EV icon for a bit until it disappears, and the wifi icon then shows up. I think the phone is turning off wireless when its' in screen-off mode...
    Yes I believe the phone does this to save power - at least my Pre does it and the two iPhones I had previously also do this.

I suppose the thinking is that in order to save power they will disable the wifi the radio while sleeping (so that it is not constantly connected and drawing power) - my theory is, and has always been, that the phone probably consumes more power trying to reconnect to wifi then just leaving it EV-DO while idle everytime you "unlock" (for lack of a better word) the phone.

In my experience, it seems way more efficient to only leave the wifi on if you are actively using a data connection, like Pandora or the surfing the web, and turning it off when you are just letting the phone sit idle.
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    There is no simple 'one is better' for the Pre it seems. It really does depend on your usage pattern. The IM networks such as AIM seem to go through EVDO even when WiFi is on, so if you're just using those it's actually a waste of power to have WiFi on. WiFi by itself seems to draw more power, BUT it loads web pages faster so the faster you find out what you want and turn that screen off the more power you save. If you're after something in particular it might be better to have WiFi on; conversely if you're just killing time it might be better to have WiFi off since you're going to be using it for X amount of minutes regardless of how fast it loads.

I think WiFi might interfere with charging too (bug?). Need to do more testing, but I left WiFi on overnight when I put it on the charger, the next day I removed it from the charger, turned on screen, it connected to wifi then reported immediately that battery was only 84%. The next day I had WiFi off, charged it, took it off charger, and it was showing 100% as it should.
    Wifi uses significantly less power. As it does on all current and recent smartphones.

AnandTech
    One problem is that you may always have WiFi on, so the net results is that you may use more power when not in WiFi area but have it on. I would love to see a location based app that turns on WiFi if I'm home... Maybe set 5-10 locations that you know you'll have WiFi.
    Sprint Pre, Mugen 2800mah battery