Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23
  1. buyrihn's Avatar
    Posts
    449 Posts
    Global Posts
    453 Global Posts
       #1  
    The bottom part of the screen no longer works. Fails the interactive test, and has rendered quite a bit of functionality completely useless. The kicker? Sprint is completely out of Pre's in Southern California, so I have no recourse for a replacement.

    Let's say I get a notification for a text message- I can't touch it. Doesn't register at all. Or let's assume I want to initiate a backup? Can't- because I can't tap the backup now button.

    Way to go, Sprint & Palm. Waaay to think ahead. Problems? We don't have no stinkin' problems!
    Last edited by buyrihn; 06/14/2009 at 02:26 AM.
  2. #2  
    There are clearly defective units. You'll get your replacement. It sucks, but let's hope replacements are swift and defects are less than 5%.
  3. buyrihn's Avatar
    Posts
    449 Posts
    Global Posts
    453 Global Posts
       #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by realistdreamer View Post
    There are clearly defective units. You'll get your replacement. It sucks, but let's hope replacements are swift and defects are less than 5%.
    Most definitely, there are. It's gonna happen- the process is fallible. I just wish that they would've been better prepared. Oh yeah- I'm pretty sure the defects are above 5%. If I had to hazard a guess, I'd say somewhere around the 11-12% mark.
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by buyrihn View Post
    The bottom part of the screen no longer works. Fails the interactive test, and has rendered quite a bit of functionality completely useless. The kicker? Sprint is completely out of Pre's in Southern California, so I have no recourse for a replacement.

    Let's say I get a notification for a text message- I can't touch it. Doesn't register at all. Or let's assume I want to initiate a backup? Can't- because I can't tap the backup now button.

    Way to go, Sprint & Palm. Waaay to think ahead. Problems? We don't have no stinkin' problems!
    There's some in the Southern California area, depending on where you are. I'm in the Rancho Cucamonga area, and I know a few stores that had them today. There only getting about 4-5 Pre's a day from Palm
    Remember, this is my opinion ! We all have a right to our own.....

    Treo's 650-800..NOW,
    Palm Pre
  5. #5  
    just be sure that it isn't the screen protector for your phone, that has caused similar problems. (say you put it in your pocket, and that peeled the bottom half up, then it went back in place) even though it looks okay, it might not be, take it off and see if that helps
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by buyrihn View Post
    Most definitely, there are. It's gonna happen- the process is fallible. I just wish that they would've been better prepared. Oh yeah- I'm pretty sure the defects are above 5%. If I had to hazard a guess, I'd say somewhere around the 11-12% mark.
    What information do you have to base this speculation on?
    Treo 700P : Sprint Treo Pro since March 09
  7. buyrihn's Avatar
    Posts
    449 Posts
    Global Posts
    453 Global Posts
       #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Integrals View Post
    just be sure that it isn't the screen protector for your phone, that has caused similar problems. (say you put it in your pocket, and that peeled the bottom half up, then it went back in place) even though it looks okay, it might not be, take it off and see if that helps
    No screen protector here, but thank you for the suggestion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin C View Post
    What information do you have to base this speculation on?
    Baseless speculation based on forum chatter on this and other forums. I've decided to do my part to spread rampant FUD, and you should too! Next on the agenda: Palm Pre screen cracks at 3,500 ft. above sea level- help spread the lies!

    In all seriousness, the light leaks, the screen distortion, the light blobs, the loose sliders, battery life, and the wacky screen touch issues are all factors in my (somewhat educated) guess. Oh yeah- I've talked to Palm at length about different issues as well, and they're pretty aware of the issues too. It takes more than a few people to raise awareness, I think.
  8. #8  
    Stick in there problems are going to happen!! Remember the Blackberry Storm... it was the same issue.. and same with the sold out iPhone.
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by buyrihn View Post
    The bottom part of the screen no longer works. Fails the interactive test, and has rendered quite a bit of functionality completely useless. The kicker? Sprint is completely out of Pre's in Southern California, so I have no recourse for a replacement.

    Let's say I get a notification for a text message- I can't touch it. Doesn't register at all. Or let's assume I want to initiate a backup? Can't- because I can't tap the backup now button.

    Way to go, Sprint & Palm. Waaay to think ahead. Problems? We don't have no stinkin' problems!
    So wait, you are upset with Sprint and Palm because you decided to buy a phone that was expected to sell out. We all knew that the phone was going to be VERY hard to come by. This is the way of the world for largely anticipated anything. They sell every last bit of it and deal with the defectives as best as possible. It happened with the Storm, and iPhone both. You knew this was a possibility. Way to think ahead.
  10. #10  
    I went to the escondido (sd country) sprint store on thursday. told them my pre was shutting off when i closed it, they put me on the waiting list and i got a new one yesterday.

    this one is a bit loose on the slider and has a light spot on the right side. oh well at least it stays on.
  11. nitussi's Avatar
    Posts
    34 Posts
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by decaren View Post
    So wait, you are upset with Sprint and Palm because you decided to buy a phone that was expected to sell out. We all knew that the phone was going to be VERY hard to come by. This is the way of the world for largely anticipated anything. They sell every last bit of it and deal with the defectives as best as possible. It happened with the Storm, and iPhone both. You knew this was a possibility. Way to think ahead.
    No, think he is upset because the bottom of his screen isn't working. Have a little sympathy!
  12. wctieman's Avatar
    Posts
    25 Posts
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    #12  
    Ok its just too easy to make a joke out of the title of this thread.
  13. #13  
    Not sure why itls a surprise, all electronic devices come with a percentage of errors. When I was using my iPhone 3G I had to exchange it 3 times and my Blackberry Bold 2 times.
  14. buyrihn's Avatar
    Posts
    449 Posts
    Global Posts
    453 Global Posts
       #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by decaren View Post
    So wait, you are upset with Sprint and Palm because you decided to buy a phone that was expected to sell out. We all knew that the phone was going to be VERY hard to come by. This is the way of the world for largely anticipated anything. They sell every last bit of it and deal with the defectives as best as possible. It happened with the Storm, and iPhone both. You knew this was a possibility. Way to think ahead.
    Wow. Ok, it looks like I'll have to start at the beginning... stay with me here, it's a helluva ride.

    When you buy a product, it shouldn't have issues. We as consumers accept that there could be potential problems because of the warranty. Let me restate this: There shouldn't be problems in the first place.

    Now that we've cleared that up, when there ARE issues, the company/companies responsible for the products are required by law to replace them.

    Here's the crazy part- as a company, their goal is to keep you as a consumer, which means going above and beyond simply what the law requires. In a nutshell, this translates to the company being ready for potential issues, and not being shortsighted on them. Yes, I will eventually get a replacement, as will everyone who is having an issue. To underestimate the failure rate of a device and being underprepared for said failures is one thing. To have a lack of a contingency plan for ANY failures is bordering on ignorance. Or apathy.

    Whew. Ok then- I think that's settled. While I'm at it, let me clear up a misconception you had about the Storm and the iPhone: both manufacturers had supplied their retail outlets (Verizon stores and Apple stores, respectively) with replacement products to compensate for unit failures. I had a new iPhone on day 3 when the store was technically still sold out of them.

    I'm not critical of my Pre- rather, I love it. But loving a product does not mean we stop thinking rationally about a situation. I love my Apple stuff too, but I grew to loathe my iPhone. Blindly defending a company's decisions simply because you like the product is asinine. I'm confident Palm will fix software issues, and will not stop recommending the phone simply based on this oversight. But we should all be critical of things they deserve to be criticized for, and a lack of available replacement devices is deserving of criticism.
    Last edited by buyrihn; 06/14/2009 at 12:25 PM.
  15. buyrihn's Avatar
    Posts
    449 Posts
    Global Posts
    453 Global Posts
       #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by wctieman View Post
    Ok its just too easy to make a joke out of the title of this thread.
    Please feel free! I left it open, and yet still haven't seen ONE yet. Other name choices for the title include "My Pre says I don't rub it right", and "The elusive pre-spot".
  16. tigagreen's Avatar
    Posts
    28 Posts
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by buyrihn View Post
    Please feel free! I left it open, and yet still haven't seen ONE yet. Other name choices for the title include "My Pre says I don't rub it right", and "The elusive pre-spot".
    Thanks! we need some humor in this place - This forum needs to lighten up a bit... relax dudes! It's a PHONE!
  17. #17  
    buyrihn, i completely agree. you paid money for a device and it should work 100% as advertised. call up your sprint store tell them you want to be put on the waiting list and they'll call and let you know when they get one in. they'll hold it for 24 hours for you.
  18. Ronno971's Avatar
    Posts
    23 Posts
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by buyrihn View Post
    Please feel free! I left it open, and yet still haven't seen ONE yet. Other name choices for the title include "My Pre says I don't rub it right", and "The elusive pre-spot".
    lol... pre-spot....

    <------ is that it!
  19. buyrihn's Avatar
    Posts
    449 Posts
    Global Posts
    453 Global Posts
       #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by repseki View Post
    buyrihn, i completely agree. you paid money for a device and it should work 100% as advertised. call up your sprint store tell them you want to be put on the waiting list and they'll call and let you know when they get one in. they'll hold it for 24 hours for you.
    Good advice. I'm gonna do it today.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ronno971 View Post
    lol... pre-spot....

    <------ is that it!
    LOL. Yup! I think your avatar found it.
  20. #20  
    ...just out of curiosity what color was your box? Mine was white and I seem to have no issues whatsoever...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions