1.    #1  
    I'm getting my PRE next week and was wondering if PRE can be used as a PDA without activating the unit. I want to see if it can be used sort of like an iPod Touch (vs. iPhone).

Is this possible? What are pros and cons?
    Last edited by bestoverall; 06/13/2009 at 09:24 PM.
    Cons: The functionality of the PDA apps is not so hot so far. Really. They are super basic. If you have one that's good now, no need to switch.
    The pre without activation is useless IMO. Save yourself the trouble if you don't plan on activating it during your trial.
  4. d94
    Global Posts
    304 Global Posts
    not to mention you cant access the device until its activated
    palm pro > visor > m100 > visor prism > clie sl30 > zire 71 > dell X5 > toshiba E755 > clie NX70 > ipaq 2200 > Treo 700w (verizon) > Treo 700wx (sprint) > Treo 755p (sprint) > HTC Mogul > HTC Diamond > HTC Touch Pro > Pre
    Global Posts
    258 Global Posts
    IMHO, I wouldn't waste my $$ to use the Pre just as a PDA. It'd probably be good at it but not for the money. I'm still carrying my IPaq until I'm confident in the Pre but the IPaq's days are numbered! lol

Rumor also has it that whomever sells the Pre unit can't let you leave until it's activated. That's just what I heard though.
    Global Posts
    341 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Spazo View Post
    IMHO, I wouldn't waste my $$ to use the Pre just as a PDA. It'd probably be good at it but not for the money. I'm still carrying my IPaq until I'm confident in the Pre but the IPaq's days are numbered! lol

Rumor also has it that whomever sells the Pre unit can't let you leave until it's activated. That's just what I heard though.
    not true i walked in and said to the girl. listen im easy. im an 11yr customer, i need a pre and a touchstone and ill forgo you trying to teach me the pre, just give me my phone and ill get it activated my way, she said ok and rang me up

mt
    Put the idea out of your head. Even if you could purchase it without activation, which is unlikely, there are no local sync capabilites. Your only options would be EAS and HTTP connections, both of which require data provisioning. More importantly, the Pre's PDA functions are weak, even compared to the oldest POS devices. No categorized tasks or memos, no calendar search, no copy-and-paste of non-editable fields. At least with the iPod Touch, you have options like OmniFocus.

As far as pros go, it's a gorgeous paperweight.

I sound like a hater, but I actually love the Pre, and intend to stick with it since I'm fairly certain that resolutions to current limitations are imminent. But without a data connection? Bad, bad idea.
    Since I've been considering this option, will it not be useful for email + browsing + IM + location + address book + calendar + tasks + notes + games with a WiFi connection alone? The only two things that won't work are the phone and messaging.
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    The phone requires activation to use it. It is one of the first things it does in the out of box first use experience. It wont complete unless it is activated.
    Global Posts
    412 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenHex View Post
    Since I've been considering this option, will it not be useful for email + browsing + IM + location + address book + calendar + tasks + notes + games with a WiFi connection alone? The only two things that won't work are the phone and messaging.
    Anything online requires activation. Also, the calendar, tasks, and notes are VERY basic. And there are no games to speak of.

Without activating it, it's useless. Get an iPod touch for that.
    What if this whole crusade's a charade? -Trent Reznor
    Pre is a great device, but a mediocre (at best) PDA at this point. My old Palm m130 would be better. Pre has no calendar search, event alarms don't continuously remind you if you miss the first "alarm" (only goes once). However, with a few tweeks, this device could be great! the synergy (being able to sync multiple calendars) is awesome!
    Global Posts
    252 Global Posts
    Pre as a PDA is much worse then my Centro with DateBk.
    Marty
    Handspring Visor -> Handspring Treo 180 That stated it would have Wi-Fi -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650->Treo 700P ->Centro->Pre
    Global Posts
    119 Global Posts
    emajy - my sentiments exactly. I could run my datebook, phone, vids, everything with one hand (leaving my other hand to point at iphone users and laugh) with my centro and DB. Personally, I find the Centro more comfortable in my hand that the Pre - but the screen is much better on the Pre of course so I'll take the slightly less convenient form factor... but, I'm awaiting good PDA functionality and hope it comes via DBook.