Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I am currently eligible for a 1 year upgrade for a new phone. I stopped at a Sprint store near me today to find out how much it would cost me for a Pre if I upgraded to a new 2-year Everything Data plan and they told me $475. Is this wrong? How can I only save $75 on the phone (regular price $550) when I'm upgrading to a new 2 year plan? Do I not get the $200 instant savings? I could have sworn I read that it would cost $275 for a 1 year upgrade. Anyone else do this and can tell me how much it costs?
    550-75=475
    you only get that because you have a year left in your contract
    Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    From what I've read, it's $350 at Best Buy or Radio Shack with the one-year discount. I could be wrong though.
    Best Buy has better pricing for 1 year upgraders than Sprint does. A pre at Best Buy is $350 out the door for 1 year upgraders. : )!!!! I bought mine at Best Buy and only had a 1 year upgrade.
    Go to best buy or radio shack. You won't have to pay so much up front. sprint is only doing the mail in rebate to keep peoples money and keep you from selling the phone right away.

1yr Upgrade $75 + instant rebate
    2yr Upgrade $150 + instant rebate

This way if you want to buy the phone then go home and deactivate it and sell or give to some else you can.
    Sprint doesn't want you to do this so they make you mail in the rebate. If you deactivate the phone before the rebate is mailed they will void the rebate and you will never see the $100.

So says Sprint CS.

This being said, if you know someone on that is eligible for the $150 and they don't mind signing a new 2yr contract. Give them money and have them buy it and then activate it on your #.

Just don't let them run away with your phone and your $$$$ LOL!
    Quote Originally Posted by BoJames View Post
    Go to best buy or radio shack. You won't have to pay so much up front. sprint is only doing the mail in rebate to keep peoples money and keep you from selling the phone right away.

This way if you want to buy the phone then go home and deactivate it and sell or give to some else you can.
    Sprint doesn't want you to do this so they make you mail in the rebate. If you deactivate the phone before the rebate is mailed they will void the rebate and you will never see the $100.

Sprint 1 year upgraders get no savings other than the 75 rebate, best buy offers 1 year upgraders savings above the rebate they are eligible for. They rock.

So says Sprint CS.

This being said, if you know someone on that is eligible for the $150 and they don't mind signing a new 2yr contract. Give them money and have them buy it and then activate it on your #.

With Best buy (not sure about RS) it is not just about paying more upfront. As a 1 year upgrader sprint will sell it to you for 550 and you get a 75 rebate, as the OP said, which is $475. With Best Buy, you pay $350. Which of course is $125 cheaper regardless of rebate or no rebate.

It's not just about the $150 and $75. It's also the instant savings that 2 year upgraders qualify for.
    Be careful with letting someone else activate it ... you don't get the money off or the rebate if they don't keep the phone on their number for 60 days ... I was out of contract but my husband has 4 months left on his contract so I got mine with the money off and the 100 rebate ... his was just 75 off and no rebate ... my mom's phone is on our account and she has been out of contract for years cause she never upgrades her phone so i wanted to buy it on her number but it is like selling it early if you change the activation number ... i had to do it ... i couldn't come home with such a cool phone for just myself and not my husband ...
    Global Posts
    217 Global Posts
    I'm confused...I am a 2 year upgrader, and I had thought my Pre price would be $199 after rebate (instant or otherwise).

But a $150 discount for a 2 year upgrade + a $100 rebate = $250 off of the $550 sales price listed above. That makes the out of pocket price for a two year upgrade $300 (rather than $200/$199), no?

Am I doing the math wrong?
    Global Posts
    521 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by allthewayhome View Post
    Best Buy has better pricing for 1 year upgraders than Sprint does. A pre at Best Buy is $350 out the door for 1 year upgraders. : )!!!! I bought mine at Best Buy and only had a 1 year upgrade.
    Wow, when I only had a year left on my contract with ATT, I get the same discounts that new costumers get on all there phones.

Thats how I got my samsung impression for only $100
    Sprint is the same with any other phone but the pre ... extend your contract and get new customer pricing
    Global Posts
    290 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by srfcrzy View Post
    I'm confused...I am a 2 year upgrader, and I had thought my Pre price would be $199 after rebate (instant or otherwise).

But a $150 discount for a 2 year upgrade + a $100 rebate = $250 off of the $550 sales price listed above. That makes the out of pocket price for a two year upgrade $300 (rather than $200/$199), no?

Am I doing the math wrong?
    It is $199 after rebate (or instantly through BB/RS). Certain phones get deeper discounts. My receipt actually says "$250 2 year upgrade discount"
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by ItsLiz View Post
    Sprint is the same with any other phone but the pre ... extend your contract and get new customer pricing
    So any other phone I'd get the regular upgrade pricing just not the Pre? Thats bull****. I guess the $350 at Best Buy is my best bet. Unless I just wait till my contract is up in January...in which case I might as well just switch over and get it at Verizon (if the rumors are true).
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    As usual, people don't understand the terminology. This is Sprint's fault for making the terms so ambiguous.
    1 year upgrade means it has been 11 months since you activated your new line of service or since the last time you used your upgrade discount toward a new phone.
    2 year upgrade means it has been 22 months since you activated you new line of service or since the last time you used your upgrade discount toward a new phone.

A common misconception is that the "2-year upgrade" price means that it is the price you pay when signing a new 2 year contract, but this is not the case. The qualifiication is always based on HOW LONG IT'S BEEN SINCE YOU LAST GOT A DISCOUNT TOWARD A NEW PHONE.
    And in case you think you're gonna be clever and only sign a 1 year contract, Sprint does not give you the full discount when only signing a 1 year contract; You get the $75 discount, no instant rebates and no mail-in rebates.

So a quick wrap up:
    Had your phone 1 year? you get $75 (upgrade discount) off the $550 full price.
    Had your phone 2 years? you get $150 (upgrade discount) + $100 (instant rebate) + $100 (Mail-in rebate) off the $550 full price. That makes the $200 price.

Doesn't seem fair? Sprint just gave you a discount on your phone a year ago? Why should they give you another sweet deal on a phone so soon? "But I bought a FREE phone a year ago!" No, you bought a $200+ phone for FREE because Sprint wanted your business.

I manage a Independent Sprint store and I hear these same misconceptions every day. It's all about explaining it better than Sprint does. And I think it's great Best Buy sells it for $350 on one year qualified upgrades because they are LOSING THEIR SHIRTS ON THE PHONE! I hate Best Buy.
    Global Posts
    217 Global Posts
    EDIT: Never mind. I get it now. Thanks, Yoshk!

Quote Originally Posted by BoJames View Post

Where is this information from then? I feel like I have also seen the $150 + rebate info for 2 year renewal before, but...

$150 + $100 rebate = $250 off the price of a $500 phone = $300, not $199
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    Adding to my above post:

This is wrong, do not do this.
    A: They can't. You cannot activate a phone under someone else's number with your upgrade.
    B: If you have the discount, buy the phone, next day switch it to your buddy's line, you are screwing the dealer you bought the phone from, and at least in my store, this is considered theft and we will bill you for the cost difference of the phone.
    It's considered theft because Sprint requires the phone stays on the line that it was activated under for 60 days, and if it doesn't they take away our commission (which can be $600+ for a high end phone).
    Global Posts
    521 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ItsLiz View Post
    Why is the Pre any different?
    Global Posts
    521 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DUTO View Post
    So any other phone I'd get the regular upgrade pricing just not the Pre? Thats bull****. I guess the $350 at Best Buy is my best bet. Unless I just wait till my contract is up in January...in which case I might as well just switch over and get it at Verizon (if the rumors are true).
    It may be bull*** but you are still getting the phone! So, I guess they win ::grin::
    Global Posts
    521 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by yoshk View Post
    Doesn't seem fair? Sprint just gave you a discount on your phone a year ago? Why should they give you another sweet deal on a phone so soon? "But I bought a FREE phone a year ago!" No, you bought a $200+ phone for FREE because Sprint wanted your business.

ATT Doesnt do this, every 11 months, you can get a discount on ANY phone even the new release ones, and the discount is the same for everyone. This is for anyone even a new contract, after 11 months they get the same discount on phones.

I guess this is where sprint makes up their money for having cheaper plans
    Interesting. Do you happen to have a link that describes this policy? I did not know that you can get new customer pricing every 11 months on ATT.

Quote Originally Posted by Vkitty View Post
    ATT Doesnt do this, every 11 months, you can get a discount on ANY phone even the new release ones, and the discount is the same for everyone. This is for anyone even a new contract, after 11 months they get the same discount on phones.

I guess this is where sprint makes up their money for having cheaper plans
    Quote Originally Posted by yoshk View Post
    Adding to my above post:

This is wrong, do not do this.
    A: They can't. You cannot activate a phone under someone else's number with your upgrade.
    B: If you have the discount, buy the phone, next day switch it to your buddy's line, you are screwing the dealer you bought the phone from, and at least in my store, this is considered theft and we will bill you for the cost difference of the phone.
    It's considered theft because Sprint requires the phone stays on the line that it was activated under for 60 days, and if it doesn't they take away our commission (which can be $600+ for a high end phone).
    Considered theft? lol. That is insane.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast