1.    #1  
    I just got the Pre earlier today. many stores in Ft Lauderdale area are sold out, but I got lucky and found a store that just got a few in this AM. My comments are from the perspective of a 60 yr old guy who is non-technical, but overall I would rate the Pre experience as beyond my expectations!

After only about 2 hours of "playing" with it I felt very comfortable with most aspects of the device, including the phone, web, app's, camera, texting, keyboard, gestures, navigating, etc. I find it to be very user friendly, comfortable in my hand, easy to carry around and generally intuitive in its approach.

While I agree that battery life may be an issue, I bought the docking station and car charger so I'm not particularly concerned. I have found the phone quality to be excellent, the pictures taken to be sharp and clear, the speed to be very good.

I find the hardware to have a good "feel" and it seems like it will hold up well but only time will tell.

I'm an existing long-time Sprint customer so I got the phone for $199 after discounts/rebates, a good value.

My son has the I-Phone and I can;t wait to show him the Pre. Comparing the two I find the Pre to be more user-friendly, certainly more compact and much lighter.

Obviously, the I-phone has the edge on app's but I'm hoping the Pre will catch up over time.

Nice work, Palm, I'm very impressed!

Jim in FL
    jim@dtfyachts.com the battery life *should* get better after a couple couple days. I never had the trouble others had but after about 2 days I noticed my battery life has gotten better.
    Quote Originally Posted by jim@dtfyachts.com View Post
    I just got the Pre earlier today. many stores in Ft Lauderdale area are sold out, but I got lucky and found a store that just got a few in this AM. My comments are from the perspective of a 60 yr old guy who is non-technical, but overall I would rate the Pre experience as beyond my expectations!

After only about 2 hours of "playing" with it I felt very comfortable with most aspects of the device, including the phone, web, app's, camera, texting, keyboard, gestures, navigating, etc. I find it to be very user friendly, comfortable in my hand, easy to carry around and generally intuitive in its approach.

While I agree that battery life may be an issue, I bought the docking station and car charger so I'm not particularly concerned. I have found the phone quality to be excellent, the pictures taken to be sharp and clear, the speed to be very good.

I find the hardware to have a good "feel" and it seems like it will hold up well but only time will tell.

I'm an existing long-time Sprint customer so I got the phone for $199 after discounts/rebates, a good value.

My son has the I-Phone and I can;t wait to show him the Pre. Comparing the two I find the Pre to be more user-friendly, certainly more compact and much lighter.

Obviously, the I-phone has the edge on app's but I'm hoping the Pre will catch up over time.

Nice work, Palm, I'm very impressed!

Jim in FL
    Hi, Jim. Welcome to the forums. Please don't be dissuaded by the rudest among us. (There is an "ignore" feature built into the forums, if you should ever need it.)

I live in Florida, too, but I haven't taken the Pre leap just yet. Anyway, I'm glad you were happy with it. I'm still working on settling my "issues" with the user interface, like selecting text, for instance.

Good luck.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    Jim,

Glad to see that you're enjoying the Pre. I certainly love mine. Now that I've had a week to play with it and break it in, I can honestly say it is a joy to use. I haven't had any of the issues that have been posted in these forums. My experience has truly been positive.

I love the Synergy integration. I've got several Google calendars, Exchange Active Sync (e-mail, contacts, calendar, and tasks), Facebook contacts, and an IMAP e-mail account all linked through the Pre. It's great! The Pandora app is really nice and although it is hard to wait for new applications, I do find that it is also kind of fun savoring the anticipation of what may come.

For the first time in years, I feel Palm is back on the right track and I'm filled with a sense of optimism and hope for a bright mobile future. I say that because competition in the smartphone marketplace is a GOOD thing and I want more of it. I believe there is plenty of room for iPhone's, G1's, the Pre (and WebOS), and yes, Window Mobile, too. Bring them all on! That way, there is something for everyone's tastes, desires, and needs.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.
    Hi Jim,
    Congrats on aquiring one of the best cell phones ever made if not the best one period. My son also has an iphone, and while he is currently proudly serving in the US AirForce in Iraq, he has already decided to get on board with us and get a Pre. He just emailed me today that for fathers day he ordered me the Touchstone charger and screen protector from this sites accessory page. I also am from Fl. Welcome, aboard and enjoy your pre, every day you'll discover a new function, thats how its been for me this past week. Big A
    So I've had my pre for about 24 hours, so far, I love it.

I thinks its simple, elegant, and efficient, and the screen is awesome!!!!!!!!!!

A standout for me is the camera, its incredibly fast and the pictures are clear and sharp, and the facebook uploading is great.

The web browser is awesome as well. Its fast and smooth and it handles bookmarks very well. I am sad about the fact that files such as songs cant be downloaded off of file sharing sites, but I found out they can at least be streamed, so thats cool.

I wish the keyboard wasnt as recessed as it is, and that there wasn't such a difference of weight between the keyboard and the screen, since it makes it a bit tiring to hold the phone only from the bottom. Besides that, the layout of the keyboard is great and efficient, and I love all of the (orange) actions.

As far as the OS goes, its what makes all those little missing features seem irrelevant.

I text a lot, and I picture text a lot, and the way texts and pic texts are one single conversation is really cool. The apps are few so far but I've really liked some of them. I'm a news junkie and the AP app is great!! Exploring menus is very simple and theres so many ways to get around, i think its great, and no way would I want to go back to another clunky, less than comfortable OS, forget video recording....

Like everyone says, notifiications are done oh-so-effortlessly well, even calls aren't intrusive, its awesome.

Facebook integration is awesome with the contacts, as long as you clean up your facebook, i did with mine, and forget about Gmail integration, I have emailed far too many people I dont even know to integrate it into my contacts. I do like how peoples facebook pics are their contact pics, amuses everyone.

Youtube is great, pandora is great, tweed is great, sprint tv is cool, amazon is awesome, and I like the post it notes application.

Overall I give it a 9 out of 10 because i do hope to see changeable ringtones for texts and other notifications, video recording, on screen keyboard, and a way to download filles off the internet into usable files on the phone (songs, videos, etc.)

But even without those things, im sticking with my pre, because besides all, its SEXY.