Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    This has happened to me twice now. I go to check my phone and find its off. The phone was in my holster and I had a phone conversation via bluetooth prior. So its not the slider battery issue.

Has anyone had this issue before?

I can deal with my phone not being fully compatible with my car but I can't have it powering off on me.
    Have you checked to make sure you battery is seated properly?
    Check the keyboard thread. Seems if you snap the keyboard open or closed quickly / hard the phone has a tendency to power off. Yours may be shutting down on a fast hard close every so often. My wife's phone was doing this and slightly more care has eliminated the issue (2 days so far).
    You know what... My phone has done it once for no reason.. As for slider... If I close it to fast it turns off... Do you know if there is a solution for that or if you can direct me to the thread talking about it.
    Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    Mine has never shut off from closing the keyboard. Even when I close it firmly. The two times it powered off the phone was in my phone holster. It powered off without me touching it. This is what has me confused. I'm leaning toward a software bug instead of hardware for the reasons cited above.

The only thing in common both times the phone shut off was that they were after I exited the car and disconnected from my car's bluetooth. Did not bump the phone. Power button can't turn he phone off without screen tap.
    Thank you so much for the link... Appreciate it.
    This has been happening to me too. I havent noticed a pattern- but phone has shut off several times with plenty of battery left. planning to try for a replacement.
    Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    I had spontaneous shutdowns & reboots every 10 to 45 minutes while it was just sitting on a table doing nothing. I stuck a small piece of folded paper in at the battery tab (to make it fit slightly tighter) and I've had no spontaneous off/reset issues for days. That seems to be the magic cure.
    Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by larnapp View Post
    I had spontaneous shutdowns & reboots every 10 to 45 minutes while it was just sitting on a table doing nothing. I stuck a small piece of folded paper in at the battery tab (to make it fit slightly tighter) and I've had no spontaneous off/reset issues for days. That seems to be the magic cure.
    It just seems odd to me that it would be a loose battery since the phone is sitting still when resets happen.
    Quote Originally Posted by rijc99 View Post
    It just seems odd to me that it would be a loose battery since the phone is sitting still when resets happen.
    Crap. I thought I'd escaped a lot of the problems people are complaining about. But now, along with more dropped calls, missed calls, low speaker volume, screen randomly freezing-up when charging, yada-yada, now I have to add that I'm also getting these stinkin' random shutdowns.
    Damn.
    I was getting the random shutdowns constantly. Then I did the paper behind battery cover trick and it has only happened once since! Pretty sad we have to do this but at least its working for now...
    I put the folded paper under the battery cover and the spontaneous shutdowns seem to have stopped - at least for 24 hours. Thanks! Still not sure why that would stop the crashes when phone was sitting quietly on the desk, but hey, if it works....
    Global Posts
    844 Global Posts
    Do you have your notifications set to vibrate? It could be the vibration that makes the battery move. Just a thought (kind of a scary thought at that). I'd try the paper battery shim solution, just to rule the battery out.
    The business card trick worked for me.
    Palm Pilot -> Palm IIIX -> Tungsten T3 -> Treo 700p -> Palm Pre
    Global Posts
    237 Global Posts
    Assuming your body is moving around with the holster attached to you, those minor bumps and jostles could do it. My first Pre got progressively worse from dying when I slammed the phone shut to eventually dying when I simply nudged it while it lay flat on the table.

The tell-tale sign you should look for is exactly what your Pre's screen looks like when you notice it's dead. Look closely at the screen after you've found it to appear dead. If you can see that the screen is ON but all black, then you're having this battery / momentary loss of power issue. If the screen is completely dark, I don't know what your problem is If the issue persists, I recommend calling a customer service rep first by dialing #2 and after they walk you through some reset etc, they'll declare you need a replacement and put notes on your account. That makes it tremendously easy to walk into a Sprint store and get a replacement Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by muscoe View Post
    I put the folded paper under the battery cover and the spontaneous shutdowns seem to have stopped - at least for 24 hours. Thanks! Still not sure why that would stop the crashes when phone was sitting quietly on the desk, but hey, if it works....
    it also stops the random turn ons
    Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    I know it doesn't make sense. Just sitting on a table (even with a charging cable plugged in!!) but the paper trick is holding at 5.5 days and no reboots! *fingers crossed*
    Bad battery. Use the ghetto paper spacer unit palm send out replacement batteries.