1.    #1  
    Those of you in the know, do you think the issue with the signal strength/bars constantly flucuating will be fixed with a software update or is it a device defect requiring an exchange. I'm really enjoying the Pre here in Miami, but my signal is all over the place, droped calls, unable to access web at times. I still have my T-mobile wing (HTC Mogul) and always have 5 bars and no droped calls for as long as I can remember. Sprint says they are aware of issue, told me to exchange, Sprint retail store (non corprate) tells me its a tower issue in the area and to give it time. Meanwhile the 30 day trial period counts down. Any advice appreciated, thanks in advance.
    It could be your phone, im in Hialeah and my bar is never lower than 3 bars..so mine fluctuates between 3 and 5 bars depends on the kind of building im in.
    I am in Kendall and work in Coral Gables and I do not seem to have these issues either.
    I live in Brickell and also have no issues with signal strength being low or varied. My signal pretty much stays at 5 bars at home and mirrors what I had with my Touch Pro in other places. Over the past few years, I've owned the Samsung A900, the Motorola q9c, the HTC Touch Pro, and now the Palm Pre. The Pre is about the same as my Touch Pro as far as reception goes (maybe a bit better). It is WORLDS better than my A900 but not as good as the stellar reception I got with my q9c.

Consider exchanging your phone. Good luck!
    I live in South Broward and have had no signal issues at all (except inside my house, but the Airave fixed that). Haven't had a dropped call either. The bars are usually at least 2-3. Most of the time I'm at 4 or 5 bars all over Broward and Dade.
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    but dont you have to pay a monthly service for the airave???
    I live in Orange and i have the same problems as you. The problem is in the phones not the network. Ive had many Treos and cheap cells fro my kids and they have never done this.

i really dont know if its a defective unit issue or design flaw in the software. Keep complaining and hopefully one way or another it will get fixed.

I also like my Pre but if this keeps up then Im going to have to return it. A phone is useless if it cant stay connected to its network. We got 3 more weeks.
    My signal strength is all over the place too, but I think it's the network, not the phone.

I've been keeping my Treo 650 with me at work lately because there are still some things I need to use on it in PalmOS and I don't want to depend 100% on Classic until they fix it. When I turn it on the number of bars I get is relatively the same as on the Pre. I know it's been deactivated but it still finds Sprint so it's talking to the same towers. I can also call Sprint customer service from it.

So yeah, it's the network, not the phones most likely. At least where I am around FIU south campus.
    Global Posts
    182 Global Posts
    I will have to say. I used to have the samsung instinct and had it for a year. When the Instinct 1st came out it had the same signal issues here in miami bouncing up and down. A few updates later, the phones signal strength was solid. I see the jumps but It doesnt affect my calls. I travel all over ft. lauderdale and miami on a weekly basis so I have a good idea of the signal issues in certain area's. It's nothing to be too concerned with... just be a little patient
    I have no issues. 4-5 bars in most areas.

I assume you already updated the Network settings and PRL.
  11.    #11  
    Thanks for the quick replies, I'm also near FIU area at home so maybe it is the network, my wife has a BB 8830 and my son has a samsung rant, both devices on Sprint with no issues at all and excellent signal stregnth. Tommorow, sunday I will be taking all three phones to work which is on Coral Way and the Palmeto (75th ave.) There is a Sprint tower on bird road and 74th ave.
    I'll check to see if the BB and the rant have strong steady signal, then its probably a defective device issue I have with my Pre, I'll give it 2 more weeks to see if Sprint is able to fix via update, if not then I'll be returning it. I'm bummed that I might have received a defective unit, but I guess this is happens all the time with new products, I still think its an awsome phone.
  12.    #12  
    Oh and nws, I did do all the updates initialy with a Sprint service rep, so I do have the latest software version 1.0.2 and I also tried setting the network to Sprint only and automatic but with same results. Very frustrating, but I will endure.
    Quote Originally Posted by KRYER1 View Post
    but dont you have to pay a monthly service for the airave???
    No, when I called customer service they waived the airave and the airave fee as long as I am a Sprint customer.
    I've got the same signal issues bouncing all over the place in Kendall and out on Krome Ave. today. In my house at the Turnpike and Miller I rarely get over 2 bars inside and at the Sprint Corporate store on Kendall at 115 ave. they say that they don't get a real dependable signal. Tried to connect to web while riding down Krome today and the phone kept trying to find a WiFi because it said network wasn't available??? I guess it's EVDO or nothing. Can it roam on someone else's network without us having to pay a big roaming bill?
    this is a issue for me as i am considering switching from vzw. i was playing with the pre's browser today and it was great on wifi, but i wanted to test the 3g so i turned wifi off. browser cr@pped out on me and couldn't even load pages. i like the phone, but i'm gonna have to wait til it comes out for vzw. (the price difference in plans isn't a big gap for me, like $7/month cuz of my company's discount)
    Quote Originally Posted by diabolical View Post
    I've got the same signal issues bouncing all over the place in Kendall and out on Krome Ave. today. In my house at the Turnpike and Miller I rarely get over 2 bars inside and at the Sprint Corporate store on Kendall at 115 ave. they say that they don't get a real dependable signal. Tried to connect to web while riding down Krome today and the phone kept trying to find a WiFi because it said network wasn't available??? I guess it's EVDO or nothing. Can it roam on someone else's network without us having to pay a big roaming bill?
    I believe all of the plans compatible with the Pre come with free roaming; however, the limit for roaming data is either 300 or 500mb/month (versus the 5GB per month on Sprint's network). There is a setting in the Preferences menu of the Phone app that allows you to enable Data Roaming (mine was on "disabled" by default), so that might help out some.
    I also have some issues down here, but thanks to a thread right here about the Airave (it was mentioned here too), I now have one on its way.

Hop over to that thread, follow ALL tips amd you should get one too, free (my case, they're waiving the fees for 2 yrs).

FTR, my issues are only in specific areas of the house. I also work downtown Miami and get great coverage, excellent EVDO speeds. This is true in all areas I frequent.