Global Posts
    238 Global Posts
    So when messaging, I often keep not typing the first letter when replying to people's messages in ongoing conversations because the first key press just "wakes" the phone from it's ever so slightly dimmer screen state. It's getting really annoying because it's hard to tell/remember when the Pre is just slightly dimmed vs. ready to start typing. If the screen was off I understand, but why have the full brightness, then dimmer, then off middle step. Can you turn it off and I'm missing it?
    Just get used to it? I dont want to sound rash here but I would rather see the convo and decide to "wake" the phone up, then looking at a black screen, being forced to wake it up to see the convo, then type, if I didnt like the email or didnt want to respond I would have wasted that time.

A possible solution would be to make the "dim" state darker

Hopefully someone who owns the pre might be able to direct you to a way to change it.
    Global Posts
    238 Global Posts
    But it goes to the black screen anyway. Dim is fine, but just include what I type as well as waking the phone. Either way you're waking the phone, be it dimmed or off. The dim only really applies if you're in the middle of an ongoing conversation and only lasts for like 10 seconds.
    I agree Wessock.... My macbook pro dims... but doesn't disable the ability to capture all key-strokes while dimmed.

I'm constantly losing the first 2 chars while typing in the dimmed screen.

It's clearly a usability issue and not something to just "get over". Getting over it doesn't resolve the issue... it just pushes it to the side so additional useabily bugs can be built atop of it... I say this being a software engineer.
    Global Posts
    238 Global Posts
    Yeah, what aggravates even more is when you realize the mistake and hit delete, I keep forgetting that it doesn't actually delete the first letter, only makes it lower case, so I end up having to back up yet again all for a key stroke that should have been there to start with.
    Global Posts
    747 Global Posts
    this explains why I kept screwing up in my marathon texting sessions yesterday hahaha
    Global Posts
    238 Global Posts
    To people who haven't noticed the problem, it's as if when using a computer and IMing. You're in the middle of a conversation but the person you're talking to takes a little bit to reply and the screen saver kicks on. You hear that they reply so you hit a key to turn off the screen saver. Then when you start to type, it doesn't record the first key stroke or two and says "Oh, you really do want to continue talking. Ok, I'll only include the 3rd keystroke and make it upper case, making you back up and delete. But I won't actually delete it even though you hit the delete key, I'll just make it lower case and make you back up yet again"
    Global Posts
    238 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stihl View Post
    this explains why I kept screwing up in my marathon texting sessions yesterday hahaha
    Yeah I wanted to throw it at a wall yesterday. If it did it every time I could get used to it, but sometimes the person replies before it dims and it works fine. You can't seem to adjust the dim time, only the screen off time.