Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 44
  1.    #1  
    I took a second look at the Pre yesterday with a friend of mine and he noticed the sharp "cheese cutting" edge too. Has anyone thought about a mod to dull it down? Ultrafine sandpaper? A little heat?

    Or am I the only one bothered by this?
  2. #2  
    There have been mods, usually involving sandpaper, but I don't think it's a big enough deal to bother. For one, it's not as much of an issue as people make it out to be. You couldn't cut yourself on it if you tried, and if anything it makes gripping the edge of the keyboard a little easier. Two, it's going to dull naturally over time with use.

    There are issues with the Pre, but I can't for the life of me figure out why people think this is one of them.
  3. #3  
    Get a rocketfish snap on case for the pre at best buy. It covers the edge nicely
  4. bruba's Avatar
    Posts
    743 Posts
    Global Posts
    752 Global Posts
    #4  
    To me it's just the biggest bull**** ever. I knew about it, bought one and didn't even think about it until I heard it again days later. Seriously, someone just needed an excuse to hate on it.
  5. #5  
    Mine has dulled over the last week. It is not sharp anymore at all.
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

    Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
  6. #6  
    This is stupid...not once has the edges on the phone ever even given me a second thought till i read stupid crap on here...

    Mods please start cleaning up the haters
    God is not a Democrat or a Republican, but he is Pro-Life!
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Brodie8307 View Post
    Or am I the only one bothered by this?
    Yes.

    It's not sharp, it's never been sharp, it can't cut anything. Enough already.
  8. #8  
    3otal non issue
  9. Xyg
    Xyg is offline
    Xyg's Avatar
    Posts
    1,104 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    #9  
    I still don't get what people are talking about. There is no edge on this phone that would ever threaten the integrity of my epidermis.
  10. #10  
    To be honest, my wife's new iPod Nano has sharper edges than the Pre. I type on the keyboard a good amount of times, and never had a problem with the edge. I just felt it just now, and it seems fine to me
  11. Stihl's Avatar
    Posts
    741 Posts
    Global Posts
    747 Global Posts
    #11  
    Actually, I do find the bottom edge sharp. Sharper than it should be. That said, I havent thought about it since day2, as I slide the phone apart with both hands in order to open it (right hand holding the base as left hand gently pulls the top out). This way, the edge does not even come into play, and, more importantly, you can carefully open and close your pre each time.

    I definitely understand how it can totally be an issue if you trying to use the device one handed and, as you hold onto the keyboard section, attempt to raise the screen portion with your thumb.
  12. #12  
    it's not just the bottom of the Pre that's sharp - the side edges are sharp too! you forget about it until it rubs against you or you hold it in the wrong place. it doesn't cut you and draw blood but it is not at all comfortable. it feels like a plastic picnic knife when it catches you.
  13. Xyg
    Xyg is offline
    Xyg's Avatar
    Posts
    1,104 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Stihl View Post
    Actually, I do find the bottom edge sharp. Sharper than it should be. That said, I havent thought about it since day2, as I slide the phone apart with both hands in order to open it (right hand holding the base as left hand gently pulls the top out). This way, the edge does not even come into play, and, more importantly, you can carefully open and close your pre each time.

    I definitely understand how it can totally be an issue if you trying to use the device one handed and, as you hold onto the keyboard section, attempt to raise the screen portion with your thumb.
    I can press down on my skin with all of my might, and it will leave a very slight indentation. If I press down while feverishly moving the bottom of the phone around on my arm, it scratches me. barely.

    Double check that you have a Pre. Maybe we have different phones?
  14. #14  
    Thanks for dropping by Gekko - are you sure you can remember what it felt like? Are you really sure? I mean it went back first thing Monday morning - 5 1/2 days ago.

    Myself, I NEVER notice it.
    It's not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change” - Darwin
  15. #15  
    Complete non-issue for me. Someone told me their "edge" is portruded when phone is closed, that would bug me.

    When my keyboard is closed, there is no "edge"
  16. Stihl's Avatar
    Posts
    741 Posts
    Global Posts
    747 Global Posts
    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyg View Post
    I can press down on my skin with all of my might, and it will leave a very slight indentation. If I press down while feverishly moving the bottom of the phone around on my arm, it scratches me. barely.

    Double check that you have a Pre. Maybe we have different phones?
    The issue really comes down to pressure.

    No one in their right minds is coming out and saying that the bottom of the pre is akin to a blade, but a simple flick up with your thumb or finger from the base of the device is much different than intentionally resting the entirety of the base of the device on your skin in order to, through it's failure to pierce, prove that the device is not uncomfortable/sharp. It's the difference between resting on a bed of nails vs resting on a solitary nail.

    I don't find it an issue because I don't open the phone from the bottom. But, I can see how it can be an issue.
  17. #17  
    I actually like the sharp edge at the bottom... I use it to shave in the morning while listening to Pandora, beats buying blades.
  18. #18  
    I found the solution

    "dont be an *****

    seriously come on
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cipro View Post
    This is stupid...not once has the edges on the phone ever even given me a second thought till i read stupid crap on here...

    Mods please start cleaning up the haters
    The haters, the haters, mad 'cause I got floor seats at the lakers,

    see me on the 50 yard line with the raiders,
    Met Ali, he told me IM THE GREATEST.


    I mix it hot yo......
  20. xGORDOx's Avatar
    Posts
    68 Posts
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by bruba View Post
    To me it's just the biggest bull**** ever. I knew about it, bought one and didn't even think about it until I heard it again days later. Seriously, someone just needed an excuse to hate on it.
    Yup, that's 100% correct.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions