Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Let me preface by saying that I have raved this phone to all of my friends and am not a Pre basher. This is just from my experience this morning.

I had a really, really, really important phone call appointment at 8AM today so last night I set the alarm to 7AM and had my calendar remind me 15 mins prior to this meeting. This morning I woke up at 6, went on the forums had the Pre still charging from last night and had coffee.

Then 7AM came along and the phone call came in, the Pre rang, showed the blocked phone number so I unplugged the Pre from the charger, hit the answer button and nothing happened. I tried hitting it again- it didnt work! I started to panic and slid up the phone hoping it would answer- NOTHING HAPPENED!!

I missed the phone call and to add to that I realized that all of my alarms (clock alarm and calendar alarm) did not ring to remind me of this call. In fact right when I missed the call both alarms started playing (ironic i know), its as if it was laughing at me.

Well I'm very disappointed in the Pre. I'm actually disappointed in myself for trusting the Pre. My friends tried to warn me, telling me they read a lot of bad reviews, I shrugged it off and told them otherwise. However this phone is definitely Beta and is not ready for prime time, I just had to find out the hard way.

UPDATE: I walked through what I did and the culprit- the charger! It gets buggy when you try to answer a call while unplugging it from the charger. It doesnt happen every time but it freezes the screen for about 20 seconds (about the same amount of time as a length of a phone call).
    Last edited by vutha; 06/13/2009 at 01:20 PM.
    Global Posts
    155 Global Posts
    Was the phone locked? If so, you can't just press the answer button, you need to drag it up to answer.
    What is this? Disparagement spam?
    Quote Originally Posted by fredc1 View Post
    Was the phone locked? If so, you can't just press the answer button, you need to drag it up to answer.
    That was my first thought as well. I did the same thing on my first incoming call, until I read the note that said, drag up to answer.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by Baryn View Post
    What is this? Disparagement spam?
    When someone is providing constructive criticism, they usually finish with something like, "Has this ever happened to anyone else?" Otherwise, it's just meaningless whining as far as I'm concerned, or, worse, outright trolling. Gets bothersome.

It's my own fault though, I suppose, since I keep clicking on threads like this. I think it was Einstein who said the definition of insanity is to do the same thing over and over and expect a different outcome.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    In several other threads there is a known bug with the alarm where it will not ring if other notifications have not been cleared. Either Palm will have to fix this or a third-party will have to come up with a reliable alarm app.

FWIW, I NEVER totally rely on the alarm on a new device (phone, watch, tv or whatever) until I know that it really works under all circumstances. when my wife gave me a new fancy alarm clock radio for my bed, I set a back up alarm for a while until I was sure I understood all the nuances of the new thing (turns out it was easy to accidentally mute the alarm without realizing it) Had trouble with my TREO's until Treo Alarm came out. That thing worked great and I hope we get a similar one for the Pre
    Global Posts
    155 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    That was my first thought as well. I did the same thing on my first incoming call, until I read the note that said, drag up to answer.
    yeah...I found that out the same way as well. I wonder if any of the cracked screens might have resulted from people pressing the answer button, not connecting to the call, and then progresssively pressing harder and harder....lol
    yeah...I found that out the same way as well. I wonder if any of the cracked screens might have resulted from people pressing the answer button, not connecting to the call, and then progresssively pressing harder and harder....lol
    Hmmm... The cracks do seem to start from that general area, in the descriptions I've read. You might be on to something.

Same for me, the lock thing has to be something they work on, should be able to turn it off if you want.
  10.    #10  
    That was another thing worth mentioning, I was accustomed to unlocking the phone or sliding the phone upwards to answer a call. This particular time I did not get that screen, just the screen that had the Callers picture and an answer / ignore button.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    When someone is providing constructive criticism, they usually finish with something like, "Has this ever happened to anyone else?" Otherwise, it's just meaningless whining as far as I'm concerned, or, worse, outright trolling. Gets bothersome.

It's my own fault though, I suppose, since I keep clicking on threads like this. I think it was Einstein who said the definition of insanity is to do the same thing over and over and expect a different outcome.
    So are you saying that I can't share my experiences on the forums? As I said on my original post I am not criticizing the phone rather giving my experiences so that those who rely heavily on alarms and important calls leave a mental note about the Pre's reliability.
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vutha View Post
    So are you saying that I can't share my experiences on the forums? As I said on my original post I am not criticizing the phone rather giving my experiences so that those who rely heavily on alarms and important calls leave a mental note about the Pre's reliability.
    I'm with you. I had to return mine it was so bad. But fanboys here don't want to here it if you had a negative experience.
    Quote Originally Posted by hbg View Post
    I'm with you. I had to return mine it was so bad. But fanboys here don't want to here it if you had a negative experience.
    but yet you are still here?
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by billybennett View Post
    but yet you are still here?
    So? I am sharing my experiences so people can use them, or if they wish, ignore them. I hope, in four or five months they'll have the bugs worked out and I will reconsider getting it, although I might wait until it goes to Verizon. Plus, by that time the storage will probably be a lot more.
  15.    #15  
    If you can't admit the faults of a product and discuss them, then how will a product ever progress? Come on- no ones trying to bash the Pre here, I'm still a fan and I'm still keeping the Pre. I'm just noting my experiences hoping that it will get recognized and fixed. Calm down people.
    LOL road rage!
    Global Posts
    308 Global Posts
    Sorry, that happened. At least you know what happened. Vutha is not troll. I checked his prior post. So, take this as constructive criticism.

Well except the last couple of sentences.
    Global Posts
    497 Global Posts
    "Well I'm very disappointed in the Pre. I'm actually disappointed in myself for trusting the Pre. My friends tried to warn me, telling me they read a lot of bad reviews, I shrugged it off and told them otherwise. However this phone is definitely Beta and is not ready for prime time, I just had to find out the hard way."

With quotes like this...no wonder people here thing you are a D-BAG lol
    I really hope we can not be like apple fanboys and maintain a level of open and objectiveness to the discussions. Like the Pre or not, honest discussions only help everyone.
    Why can't the mobile device manufactures get that most want a touch screen and a front face QWERTY?
    Quote Originally Posted by IMethos View Post
    "Well I'm very disappointed in the Pre. I'm actually disappointed in myself for trusting the Pre. My friends tried to warn me, telling me they read a lot of bad reviews, I shrugged it off and told them otherwise. However this phone is definitely Beta and is not ready for prime time, I just had to find out the hard way."

With quotes like this...no wonder people here thing you are a D-BAG lol
    But he's right. It's definitely beta and isn't ready for prime time. Then again, I knew it would be going in.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast