Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22
  1.    #1  
    I'm sure there are other similar posts here, but the EVDO seems very flakey, and it seems to be a software or hardware glitch rather than a service thing (from sprint). I'll be using my EVDO fine, and then I might switch to using Wifi, and switch back to EVDO, and then poof, no internet. It started happening after I used the top switch to put it in silent mode while I was at work the other day.

    Basically what happens, is that it says "EV" up at the top, with all 5 bars, but I am unable to browse to any websites, and there is absolutely zero indication that there are connection issues, no error message popping up, or notification, it just does not work.

    You click a bookmark, or go to a URL, and you get a white page. It seems like a software error to me because as soon as I restart my phone, turning it off, then all the way back on, the internet starts working again.

    This is extremely frustrating, I've already had to restart my phone 4-5 times in the last couple days because of this.. and I DO have very good signal strength here, I did a speed test and got about 1600kbps.

    Has anyone else had similar issues? Heard anything from Palm or Sprint about it?
  2. qone's Avatar
    Posts
    7 Posts
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by onionhammer View Post
    I'm sure there are other similar posts here, but the EVDO seems very flakey, and it seems to be a software or hardware glitch rather than a service thing (from sprint). I'll be using my EVDO fine, and then I might switch to using Wifi, and switch back to EVDO, and then poof, no internet. It started happening after I used the top switch to put it in silent mode while I was at work the other day.

    Basically what happens, is that it says "EV" up at the top, with all 5 bars, but I am unable to browse to any websites, and there is absolutely zero indication that there are connection issues, no error message popping up, or notification, it just does not work.

    You click a bookmark, or go to a URL, and you get a white page. It seems like a software error to me because as soon as I restart my phone, turning it off, then all the way back on, the internet starts working again.

    This is extremely frustrating, I've already had to restart my phone 4-5 times in the last couple days because of this.. and I DO have very good signal strength here, I did a speed test and got about 1600kbps.

    Has anyone else had similar issues? Heard anything from Palm or Sprint about it?
    I am having the same issue. It has happened to me twice and it seems the EVDO stack just crashes because nothing requiring EVDO works.

    - On both times, I did not switch on wifi and it just happened spontaneously
    - On the first occasion, I had just sent a couple texts and left the phone closed on a table. 15 min later, no network (cannot send emails, texts, etc)
    - I closed all apps and it still didn't resolve it -- I had to restart
    - Both times happened in areas with full EVDO signal (5 bars)
    - The bars were *not* jumping around from 0 bars to 5 bars, but that's another issue I've noticed
    - I am able to open and close cards so the base OS seems fine

    Next time it happens I am going to turn on airplane mode and turn it off to see if that provides a short term fix.


    I'd like to know if this is a common issue so we can submit a formal submission to Palm and get them working on a fix.
  3. #3  
    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...nal-issue.html


    discussed here at length. I talked with Sprint yesterday and was told it is a "known issue" and that, according to the Sprint techs computer screen, Palm is aware as well and is working on it.
  4.    #4  
    Glad I'm not the only one.. I saw a youtube video on another thread that I'm sure is demonstrating the same thing we're experiencing.

    I will try the airplane mode and silent mode on/off switch also next time it crops up.


    @midmofan: that's not the same issue. Our signal strength is fine.
    Last edited by onionhammer; 06/13/2009 at 12:50 PM. Reason: reply to midmofan
  5. NSXLA's Avatar
    Posts
    99 Posts
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    #5  
    Oninion do you mean like this ? YouTube - Pre connection issues.
  6.    #6  
    Yep, that's the one; I would have posted it myself but I dont have 10 posts yet :roll:
  7. 1414H77's Avatar
    Posts
    221 Posts
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    #7  
    Not ready for prime time.
  8.    #8  
    Okay, my phone is doing it again now -

    I just tried toggling on my wifi, nothing, no internet - not even the wifi works.
    I just tried toggling airplane mode, nothing, no internet.

    Seems the only resolution is restarting the whole phone, and I only JUST did that about an hour ago.
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by onionhammer View Post
    Glad I'm not the only one.. I saw a youtube video on another thread that I'm sure is demonstrating the same thing we're experiencing.

    I will try the airplane mode and silent mode on/off switch also next time it crops up.


    @midmofan: that's not the same issue. Our signal strength is fine.

    If you take a look at the thread it is the same issue -- somethings not right with the RF. People are reporting wild fluctuations with the signal. It includes wildly fluctuation bars as well as dropping off of EVDO then to roaming then to 1x then back again. Doing the airplane mode for me helps sometimes. For those (on that thread) with weak signals, it is happening in places where other sprint phones get strong signals and where in many cases the Pre SOMETIMES gets a good signal only for it to vanish again. The tech I talked to said he has gotten at least one call a day on the signal issue. So, something seems amiss.
  10. NSXLA's Avatar
    Posts
    99 Posts
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    #10  
    Yep Onion i'm in the one that posted that video, ended up returning the PRE.
    Let me mention a few things that i didn't bother trying.

    1. Deleting all your e-mail accounts (i only had gmail)
    2. Flashing the phone so it would go back to the stock OS which was 1.0.1 - and then trying to download 1.0.2 on wifi, (i did mine on EVDO) I don't even know if this is possible. TO COMPLETELY wipe the device and load the OS again, you would probably have to go a sprint store for this. maybe a sprint tech can load 1.0.2 for you after a complete wipe.
    3. Set the phone, so you sync to email manually.
    4. Turn off location.
    5. Turn off Data gathering by google.


    Sorry, those are the only things i didn't try - the rest i've done, even calling Sprint tech support, they couldn't help. Recommending i replace the unit
    Last edited by nsxla; 06/13/2009 at 01:29 PM.
  11.    #11  
    Well, that's not very encouraging. I will go to the sprint store and see if they can do anything to help.. I'm not ready to return the phone just yet, I'm sure (I hope!) a solution will come down the pipe soon enough.

    Interestingly though, it started working again on its own just now without me restarting the phone. Now I'm really curious.
  12. NSXLA's Avatar
    Posts
    99 Posts
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    #12  
    Yep mines would do the same, either you can restart the phone to get EVDO working or wait a few minutes, and through all this, you can still check your mail =] Just nothing else will work.
  13.    #13  
    Perhaps it's just a bug in the browser then?

    It kind of reminds me of Firefox with Firebug - sometimes that combination causes pages to just sit there and not load in a similar fashion
  14. #14  
    Posted on the Palm Support Forum, by a Palm Support Administrator:



    Re: Inconsistent Signal Issue Options

    Anachronistic
    Administrator
    Posts: 673
    Registered: 11-10-2004

    Pre p100eww (Sprint)



    Message 49 of 54

    Viewed 98 times


    Palm has logged this in its software issue tracking system. We endeavor to continuously improve our software quality and thank you for bringing this to our attention. We are grateful to the community and will evaluate options based on customer feedback and software best practices.. Kudos! Thanks!
  15. NSXLA's Avatar
    Posts
    99 Posts
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by onionhammer View Post
    Perhaps it's just a bug in the browser then?

    It kind of reminds me of Firefox with Firebug - sometimes that combination causes pages to just sit there and not load in a similar fashion
    Doubt its a browser bug, cause EVDO connection on all apps was dead for me. E-mail would go through along with SMS - its a OS bug of faulty radio that doesn't return to a proper evdo connection after switching from X1/roaming or in your case wifi. Good luck!
  16.    #16  
    Surely only the headers of the emails come in through SMS/push, such as the sender and subject.. not the message body, right?

    Why wouldnt the browser timeout, or at least show the spinning progress thing if it were working properly?

    Then again, right now I can't load the body of this new email that came in - lovely.
  17.    #17  
    Okay, I'm relatively sure it's a software issue with the browser. Not only am I able to check my email when the browser is Not Available, I am able to download apps, check twitter, look at movie listings (through the flickster app). I'm pretty sure those dont work over SMS.
  18. #18  
    Well this exact same thing happened to me with my pre. I went back to the sprint store and they ran some diagnostic on it and they said it had failed. So they gave me a new one on Thursday and lo and behold, my new one is doing the same exact thing. It started just now, with my EVDO falling out and trying to get wifi to take its place does nothing. This is really frustrating and seems like a major problem that needs to be fixed pronto or this phone is a goner. Anyone have any solutions other than turning it off, because nothing seems to work.
  19.    #19  
    Just hang in there, and hope that it's a patch-able software problem
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by onionhammer View Post
    Just hang in there, and hope that it's a patch-able software problem
    Class action law suit in the making. How about all of us 100,000+ pre users get a service credit until this crap is fixed??? Otherwise, refund city.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions