Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Selling Palm Pre To Business Users
    Elizabeth Woyke, 06.10.09, 7:00 PM ET

Sprint has spent months pitching its new flagship phone, the Palm Pre, to consumers through ads and social media promotions. Now it's time for the carrier to line up enterprise customers for the Pre.

Paget Alves, Sprint's president of business markets groups, says he doesn't expect a hard sell to corporate clients. He sees four categories of businesses potentially adopting the Pre.

Traditional "Palm shops" or companies that have long worked with Palm will have a built-in interest in the Pre, says Alves. That could include corporations that support Palm's Treo line, but want to upgrade to a newer Palm phone. Not all of these companies are likely to migrate, however, as the Pre is a radically different device running on a brand-new operating system, webOS.

WebOS could be its own selling point, says Alves. Some corporations may be intrigued by the operating system's new ideas, he contends. Palm created webOS to toggle between several open applications and streamline multiple calendars and e-mail accounts--features that should appeal to professionals as well as other users.

Other companies will choose the Pre for its business applications, says Alves. It's a surprising idea now, as the Palm App Catalog is still tiny and doesn't currently stock any enterprise-focused applications. But Alves says customer relationship management (CRM) apps from Oracle and Salesforce.com will launch soon. Those applications, in turn, will drive adoption among Oracle and Salesforce's many customers, he says.

The final kind of company that will adopt the Pre is creative and flexible, perhaps in the media or entertainment industries. These companies may have a younger workforce that prizes freedom of choice. To keep them happy, the firms will offer a broader range of mobile devices, including, possibly, the Pre, says Alves.

Palm is also reaching out to corporate customers. It has a Web site that lists the Pre's most business-friendly features, from automatic data back-ups to turn-by-turn driving directions.

To gain traction in the enterprise, Palm and Sprint will have to compete with Research In Motion's BlackBerrys, Microsoft's Windows Mobile and Apple's iPhone. Apple strengthened the iPhone's enterprise appeal at its Worldwide Developers Conference earlier this week by announcing new features that can remotely erase data, encrypt sensitive information and locate lost or stolen devices using GPS.

Palm also announced late Wednesday that Executive Chairman Jon Rubinstein, 52, has been appointed chief executive and will start his new post Friday. Rubinstein, who replaces longtime chief Ed Colligan, is a former Apple executive who joined Palm in 2007 to help turn around the struggling smart-phone maker.

Full disclosure: Elevation Partners, which holds a 25% stake in Palm, is also a shareholder in our parent company, Forbes Media.

Selling Palm Pre To Business Users - Forbes.com
    There are just too many missing functions for this device to be considered a business-friendly device. There is no independent implimentation of applications like spread sheet/word processing, database, et cetera and to depend upon a data connection to access Google just does not cut it. Business reliance upon Google for email? No. Contacts? No.

Give me a good solid office suite like Microsoft Office or Documents to Go, HanDBase and similar applications - applications not depending upon a data connection, and I will move over. Not until then.
    Gekko - thanks for dropping by again, could you do some research on the iPhone in the business market and get back to us? Thanks.
    It's not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change” - Darwin
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger View Post
    There are just too many missing functions for this device to be considered a business-friendly device. There is no independent implimentation of applications like spread sheet/word processing, database, et cetera and to depend upon a data connection to access Google just does not cut it. Business reliance upon Google for email? No. Contacts? No.

Give me a good solid office suite like Microsoft Office or Documents to Go, HanDBase and similar applications - applications not depending upon a data connection, and I will move over. Not until then.
    You're wrong. I use it for business and it's much better than my BB World Edition.
    I'm an Assistant Superintendent of School, and I'm finding it very appropriate for my work. The reality is that I find it less and less necessary to edit office docs on my phone, as more communication is done via email. So reading docs is fine.
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
    yet many people here insist Palm isn't targeting enterprise users. Obviously they are and need to for the Pre to be successful.
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger View Post

Do you not know the pre comes preloaded with Documents to go? I have already used it for word and excel. I have two business Exchange servers configured and working nicely together. The loaded pdf viewer works quite nicely too.
    But Docs to Go is read only. Bclinger needs to be able to edit. Valid concern. I have never needed this b/c doing anything with Office on a phone is torture to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by bubbatex View Post
    But Docs to Go is read only. Bclinger needs to be able to edit. Valid concern. I have never needed this b/c doing anything with Office on a phone is torture to me.
    DataViz, creator of Document To GO says they are creating Document To Go, full version to be released later this year.

Here is the link:

Documents To Go for palm webOS
    Pretty weak statements by Sprint's pres of bm. Im not trying to troll but if the message isn't this device destroys the blackbberry because of xyz and microsoft shops need to migrate from winmo because of abc then they should just mark this as a personal device.

Those 4 "targets" are rediculous and bonderline embarassing.
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    Give it time. You see a lot of business people using iPhones even though iPhone took years to even sync with exchange. Palm is promising to improve support for Exchange, even though it already supports as well or better than iPhone.
    The thing is, if it is just a matter of some software (which I think it is), then in time it could be the killer device for business. I bet a Docs 2 Go app will be available soon (if it isn't already) that allows editing of documents and spreadsheets. And everything else is just a matter of time.

The key is multitasking. If the Pre does a good job of multitasking, then a person can be more efficient. I think a flood of apps will be available after the SDK is released.
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonylmiller View Post
    The thing is, if it is just a matter of some software (which I think it is), then in time it could be the killer device for business. I bet a Docs 2 Go app will be available soon (if it isn't already) that allows editing of documents and spreadsheets. And everything else is just a matter of time.

The key is multitasking. If the Pre does a good job of multitasking, then a person can be more efficient. I think a flood of apps will be available after the SDK is released.
    Didn't you see my post up above about Docs 2 GO. They are making a full version. Does anyone read all the posts anymore?
    Quote Originally Posted by dfine1966 View Post
    Didn't you see my post up above about Docs 2 GO. They are making a full version. Does anyone read all the posts anymore?
    I am REALLY sorry. I will really try to pay more attention to your posts in the future, mmmkay?

NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
    I don't think multi-tasking is key at all. Most people couldent even tell you what it is.

Ease of use and ease of administration is what it is all about. That is why blackberry is king- even though it costs more and requires bes.
    Quote Originally Posted by zyxwv88 View Post
    Give it time. You see a lot of business people using iPhones even though iPhone took years to even sync with exchange. Palm is promising to improve support for Exchange, even though it already supports as well or better than iPhone.
    I have both a Pre and an iPhone. Your statement is incorrect. At the moment Exchange support on the iPhone is much better.
    Quote Originally Posted by Les Anderson View Post
    Pretty weak statements by Sprint's pres of bm. Im not trying to troll but if the message isn't this device destroys the blackbberry because of xyz and microsoft shops need to migrate from winmo because of abc then they should just mark this as a personal device.

Those 4 "targets" are rediculous and bonderline embarassing.
    Why does anyoe have to "destroy" the competition to be able to compete?
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    I have both a Pre and an iPhone. Your statement is incorrect. At the moment Exchange support on the iPhone is much better.
    I suppose it depends on a person's need. If the need is the security features, the iPhone is better (but still not as good as a BB phone on BES). If the need is to connect to more than one AES server, guess one would have to say the Pre is better.

It's all in what a person needs.
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Why does anyoe have to "destroy" the competition to be able to compete?
    "In Japan, we believe our competitors are stealing the rice out of the mouths of our children. In Japan, we think anything less than 100 percent market share is not enough. In Japan, we believe it is--and this is a quote that supposedly came from Genghis Khan, but I have heard it attributed La Rochefoucauld and other people--it is not sufficient that I succeed; everyone else must fail. We believe that this is not sufficient. We must destroy our competition." - Larry Ellison
    The Pre is a brilliant device, but it is version 1.0 and lacks the depth of more mature systems to be customized to user needs. Email is an example - way too many cannot connect because of the way certificates are being handled, and support says a solutrion is a couple of months away. My bother and I are both blocked out of key e-mail accounts. Despite my love for the brilliance of the rest of the phone, I may have to forgo the Pre and re-activate my 755p just so I can have email. Bummer.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast