Global Posts
    628 Global Posts
    So, anyone using this service in conjunction with their Pre. I get horrible connection with any carrier in my house and was thinking about getting this service. I'd probably just do the $5 signal boost service. How does the phone connect to the device? Via Wi-Fi or CDMA? Can you really notice a boost in signal (I get 0-1 bars in my area)? And finally, due to improved signal, would this reflect in significantly better battery life?

Thanks in advance...
    Global Posts
    341 Global Posts
    got one sent to me and its great 5 bars all the time now

mt
    I use AIRAVE although mine is broken and haven't since I have had the pre.

Airave puts out a legit CDMA signal - not wifi or whatnot. Mine I had good experience with, near the airave full bars. Of course the further you get away from it, the less signal you get, but it definitely covered my whole house.

And yes, better signal means your phone has to put out less power, which should result in better battery life.
    I agree with the above since I just hooked mine up last night ... Not to be a repeater but there is already a few good posts on the airave out there .. Most users also got it for free...
    I got one in the mail and have not set it up.
    Do you guys leave it open for the neighbors, or do you lock it to your phones?
    Quote Originally Posted by cglaguna View Post
    I got one in the mail and have not set it up.
    Do you guys leave it open for the neighbors, or do you lock it to your phones?
    Sprint sent mine for free and waived the $5.00 monthly free after I called customer retentions Sunday. I was a new customer.

It was plug and play. No settings to adjust anywhere. It took about a half hour before it was ready to use, meaning all four lights stop blinking and show solid blue. I went from no service in many spots of my apartment to 5 bars in all of it.

One negative I noticed is about a 4 second delay in making a call compared to my T-mo hotspot@home, which makes calls like a regular phone. 4 seconds can be a long time if you are making a lot of calls. Airave also causes a single beep in your headset before a call is initiated. I wish it didn't.

I haven't read the manual and am traveling now, but I have a next door neighbor who gets lousy Sprint reception too. Actually everyone in the neighborhood seems to get poor service, no matter the provider. They are always outside making calls.

I was considering doing her a favor and letting her use my Airave signal. Is the Airave "open" out of the box, or must I somehow allow her access?
    I would like one of these but I live in a rural area and have Hughes satellite for broadband. Airave won't work with satellite. So. My solution will be far more expensive. Wilson Electronics makes a booster for just under $500.00 that MIGHT work. It also requires significant effort to install. But it should give me service in the house where I have none now.
    Quote Originally Posted by galavanter View Post
    Sprint sent mine for free and waived the $5.00 monthly free after I called customer retentions Sunday. I was a new customer.

It was plug and play. No settings to adjust anywhere. It took about a half hour before it was ready to use, meaning all four lights stop blinking and show solid blue. I went from no service in many spots of my apartment to 5 bars in all of it.

One negative I noticed is about a 4 second delay in making a call compared to my T-mo hotspot@home, which makes calls like a regular phone. 4 seconds can be a long time if you are making a lot of calls. Airave also causes a single beep in your headset before a call is initiated. I wish it didn't.

I haven't read the manual and am traveling now, but I have a next door neighbor who gets lousy Sprint reception too. Actually everyone in the neighborhood seems to get poor service, no matter the provider. They are always outside making calls.

I was considering doing her a favor and letting her use my Airave signal. Is the Airave "open" out of the box, or must I somehow allow her access?
    how the hell did you get one....i was on the phone for an hour with sprint retentions and they wouldnt give me one cuz i was a NEW customer....
    Mike (FOOmanJEW) Jaret-Schachter
    Running With Scissors
    Producer
    www.runningwithscissors.com
    www.twitter.com/mikejaret
    Quote Originally Posted by galavanter View Post

is there a seperate number for customer retentions? last time i called in they didnt offer me an airave for free... did u specifically ask for one or did they bring it up?
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelone View Post
    I would like one of these but I live in a rural area and have Hughes satellite for broadband. Airave won't work with satellite. So. My solution will be far more expensive. Wilson Electronics makes a booster for just under $500.00 that MIGHT work. It also requires significant effort to install. But it should give me service in the house where I have none now.
    Check this one out. I had been looking at them about a year and a half ago but then T-mo came out with hotspot@home.

Amazon.com: Wireless Extenders YX510-PCS-CEL Dual-Band Cell Phone-Signal Booster: Cell Phones & Service

4 stars on Amazon for a signal booster is pretty good. They make a couple of models, make sure you get the right one for you.
    Last edited by galavanter; 06/13/2009 at 01:41 PM.
    I got my Airave on Friday. Had an issue setting it up (gps must work) but after that it is great. I have full bars everywhere in my house except some spots in my living room. The airave is in my basement/family room so it might be a distance thing.

The airave is tied to specific phones so your neighbors cannot use it btw.
    Quote Originally Posted by mypantsaretorn View Post
    is there a seperate number for customer retentions? last time i called in they didnt offer me an airave for free... did u specifically ask for one or did they bring it up?
    I specifically asked. I called customer service and got transfered to retentions, probably due to how I phrased it. I said I wasn't interested in tech help because I lived in a Sprint acknowledged (on their signal map) low signal area. I just said I had no signal in my place and would be forced to return the phone (I have no land line).

After retentions put me on hold for a bit, probably to confirm that fact, she came back on and said they would send me one free and waive the monthly fee. I hadn't even got around to bringing the fee up.

Quote Originally Posted by mikejaret View Post
    how the hell did you get one....i was on the phone for an hour with sprint retentions and they wouldnt give me one cuz i was a NEW customer....
    The key may be what I mentioned above. I live in a poor signal area in my neighborhood, acknowledged on the Sprint map.
    Quote Originally Posted by TechFirstAid View Post
    I got my Airave on Friday. Had an issue setting it up (gps must work) but after that it is great. I have full bars everywhere in my house except some spots in my living room. The airave is in my basement/family room so it might be a distance thing.

The airave is tied to specific phones so your neighbors cannot use it btw.
    If you configure it on website. Otherwise it's open for sprint phones..3 at a time.
    The Wireless Extender YX510-PCS-CELL is NOT working for our users with the Pre. We have the extender at our office and it works very well for our (Sprint) BlackBerry users, but the Pre doesn't seem to pay attention to it. (This makes no sense to me, since the Pre is like any other CDMA device - that I know of.) I also have the same extender at home and it hasn't helped one single iota. I would really like to hear whether or not others are having issues with extenders/repeaters like the YX510... (Waiting until mid-week to receive the Airaves we ordered to solve this in quick order - I don't want to waste more money and time installing new repeaters.)
  15. H_D
    Global Posts
    2,597 Global Posts
    Airwave has been awesome for me!
    Huh I gotta check out the airave website and configure mine and my gfs phones maybe it will fix the occasional jump from 5 to 1 back to 5 bars....

Anyone notice when in airave coverage there ev icon disappears?
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Impulsebuyer View Post
    Huh I gotta check out the airave website and configure mine and my gfs phones maybe it will fix the occasional jump from 5 to 1 back to 5 bars....

Anyone notice when in airave coverage there ev icon disappears?
    I was under teh impression that the airave is not EVDO, and only 1x. so it makes sense that your EV goes away when using the airave. but, if you're in a low signal area, where you need an airave, your network would be slow anyway, so it shouldn't be a huge deal.
    neathings - neatˇthings and apps for webOS
    Global Posts
    628 Global Posts
    I just got mine for free and the monthly charge waived as well. =)

I am indeed a new customer and have never experienced such support in my life. I am really glad to have switched to Sprint. As far as you getting it for free, just threaten to leave the network otherwise. $5 a month is nothing for them to have your service.