1.    #1  
    Palm/Sprint was more secretive with the Pre before launch than anyone else I've ever seen launching a new model. Stores were forbidden to display a demo unit until the day of the launch! Whaup with that?!? Isn't the entire demo concept about letting people see and feel the new model, maybe try out a few features? It can build up some excitement or it can also tell some folks that maybe it's not the right device for them. The latter wouldn't have been a bad thing considering the limited supply. The incidents of reps breaking the golden rule, "Thou shalt not show the Pre", are so limited it's almost comical. My local dealer said they received 8 or 10 emails in the two weeks preceding launch to remind everyone how dire the consequences would be for an early showing.

For many people, probably the majority, the first time they saw the Pre in person was the day they bought it. It's not a case of the consumer jumping on something without trying first. The consumer couldn't try it first. And this the doing of Palm and/or Sprint. I have no idea who is to blame for the absolute secrecy policy, and I don't really care. Either way, I'm thinking that some of this backlash against the Pre is a direct result of this secrecy.

Conspiracy theorists would say Palm was hiding the shoddy build quality a lot of buyers are complaining about. Personally, my Pre is perfect and suffers none of the problems I've read about. I still believe these issues are in the statistical minority of units sold, but these problems DO exist. And they're pissing folks off!

So I ask you; did the secrecy preceding the Pre launch add to the frustration of folks who bought without having had a chance to demo a unit? They believed the hype because there was nothing else to go on. And now there's a backlash that's seems to be growing.
    #1. Build Quality
    #2. Bugs in the OS
    #3. Omitted features in the OS
    A demo probably would not have helped #1 or #2 because Palm would have hand-picked demo units, and a quick spin through the email and web browser in a store would not have been long enough to discover much. But #3 would certainly have come to light, at least partially. And the fact that the keyboard is a love/hate thing with the Pre certainly would have been exposed for those on the "hate" side of the issue. Considering the keyboard is a central aspect of the design (keyboard + touch screen together) it would have been nice for folks to lay hands on and try it. Maybe some of the dissatisfied people wouldn't have bought, and some of those wait listed folks would have gotten their instant gratification. No doubt there was excess demand on launch day, and no matter what Palm would have moved their entire stock. Maybe the secrecy has backfired.
    Verizon
    I'm sure if Palm had the chance, the phone wouldn't have launched until July or August. Mainly due to the manufacturing woes with Foxconn. I'm sure Sprint and Palm got wind of ATT and Apple were doing with the new Iphone and forced their hand.
    I have to agree with most of your points. I work for a tech company that puts out lots of products and you would be surprised how many times we have a quiet vs. soft launch argument. I for one love Microsoft's launch plans.
    Thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by rambo47 View Post
    So I ask you; did the secrecy preceding the Pre launch add to the frustration of folks who bought without having had a chance to demo a unit? They believed the hype because there was nothing else to go on. And now there's a backlash that's seems to be growing.
    No one forced anyone to buy a Pre before trying it out. If people who bought Pre's are unhappy they might want to consider being a bit more patient next time. Believing the hype becasue there is nothing else to go on is just silly.
    Global Posts
    258 Global Posts
    I agree with all your points. Unfortunately, it was the Sprint Stores and their Reps who were bearing the grunt of all my (specifically) complaints and frustration in the week or so prior to the launch, not corporate where the stupid decision was made. If they are going to put as much press into the launch of a new device they need to be willing to answer the follow up questions that are inherent to its launch.

However, since most Pre's were sold on the opening weekend, we (the consumer) have validated the premise of this marketing ploy. This tactic will be seen as an effective technique in the eyes of "history." Thus other companies will look to this example and say, "It worked for them, it'll work for us," and we'll see more of these "no detail launches." The frustration of the consumer will not weigh into the mix; if it does it'll be seen as a negative that doesn't out weigh the positives to this type of launch.

I am as much to blame though as the next guy though. I have my own reasons (not the typical reasons of most purchasers on the first day) but my need (it was need, not want, that I bought a Pre) to have the phone validated this tactic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spazo View Post

I am as much to blame though as the next guy though. I have my own reasons (not the typical reasons of most purchasers on the first day) but my need (it was need, not want, that I bought a Pre) to have the phone validated this tactic.
    What need was that?
    Global Posts
    258 Global Posts
    My phone's screen died...

In reflection, I guess I needed a new phone but maybe not a Pre. I'll meet you half way ADG...
    this is a silly thread, the phone sold out and people lined up. Wat backfire r you talking about? Pointless especially since you love ur fone.
    Mike (FOOmanJEW) Jaret-Schachter
    Running With Scissors
    Producer
    www.runningwithscissors.com
    www.twitter.com/mikejaret
  9. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    I would say "no". The way Palm marketed the device kept it fresh and relevant in some of the mainstream press (and in our minds) for almost half of its development period.
    Global Posts
    379 Global Posts
    I am not going to buy a pre, it doesnt work for me, and how do I know this? I went into the sprint store picked up one of the test phones and played with it enough to know that it was not for me, don't know why anyone would feel compeled to buy before they try.
    Terry
    Global Posts
    237 Global Posts
    With a 30-day money-back guarantee, who cares? You don't even have to port your number over until you're ready. No strings attached.

I'm glad Palm/Sprint kept things quiet AND told us there would be limited supply. I would have been pissed if Joe the Plumber saw an ad on TV the day before the Pre was released and went to get the last Pre before I got mine :P

Now that supply is catching up with the waiting lists, you'll see more Pre ads on TV and other places.
    that, along with the fact that they had to time it before the Apple WWDC09 event, which I'm sure put pressure on the manufacturers / assemblies.
    ( pre-wallpapers.com ) - Over 7000+ Wallpapers for your Palm Pre... Enjoy!
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    No one forced anyone to buy a Pre before trying it out. If people who bought Pre's are unhappy they might want to consider being a bit more patient next time. Believing the hype becasue there is nothing else to go on is just silly.
    Agreed. And I think Palm/Sprint played the launch as perfectly as humanly possible given the financial, technical, and market constraints they've been under. Release it earlier and they'd be dealing with even more issues, release it later and they'd have missed their self-imposed deadline of 1H09.

As far as us geeky early adopters go, we've been clamoring for the Pre since January. I can only imagine the mayhem that would have broken out had the Pre not been released in June. And as far as things go with Apple and the iPhone, the only think forcing Palm's and Sprint's hands was the fact that the Pre still stacks up well. There's not much in the iPhone 3G S that Palm need worry itself about.

I think the Pre is doing remarkably well, is an incredible device, and once supply issues are resolved and apps start flowing into the App Catalog, the Pre will be at the very least the 2nd hottest smartphone on the market, which will be a great accomplishment considering Apple's 2-year lead.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    As mentioned above by AD, not sure of your point here. People could have spent time in the store before they bought it playing with the demo. I did before I bought it. Others in this forum turned around and walked out after demo'ing it. And there is always the 30-day return policy - I have used it 3 times in the past year. The only way I will ever really figure out if a device is usable to to actually try and use it.

So, your point really is that you understand nothing about marketing and selling products for profit. If you did not like the way Palm & Sprint did it, you had every right NOT to participate.
    It's not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change” - Darwin
    I wonder if they did this quiet release BECAUSE of the problems to give them a bit more time to correct them?
    Global Posts
    93 Global Posts
    Aren't they sold out on the phones?? I don't think Sprint is complaining.
    I've yet to see a commercial on TV specifically advertising the Pre yet it is sold out in most places. I'd say the launch was pretty successful for Sprint.
    Quote Originally Posted by chodaboy View Post
    I wonder if they did this quiet release BECAUSE of the problems to give them a bit more time to correct them?
    I don't know why they had to come out two days before Apple's WWDC. Big mistake in my opinon.

When you have over 10 million+ iphones out there and people waiting on the WWDC, you do not come out two days earlier with your phone unless you are absolutely perfect and gonna go straight for the heart. And you don't go in quiet to do that. You go supersonic into the first day to build velocity for the kill.

I, as one that was looking forward to WWDC and had super high expectations for something revolutionary like front facing cam instead of evolutionary, ended up underwhelmed a bit. It would have been a great kill if Sprint would have been better to wait until after WWDC and come out blasting; getting peoples mouth watering for the multitasking, etc., give more time for the app store to get a better choice of offerings and create more stock. Maybe add in a last minute feature now that Apple had exposed all it's tricks and have people hesitating to order the iPhone and wait for the Pre.

As it stands now, I keep monitoring the Pre site because I would like to hear things are coming along... not posts of good lcd's going bad and distortion and crashing when closing slider or put piece of paper in battery bay, etc. Software bug I can handle to a degree. Hardware flaws... no. So I will probably go with the the refined iPhone... but anything can happen until that day I come out that store with either an Apple bag or Sprint bag. But right now, not looking good and not sure I can wait until end of year to see what Pre does.

If they did it right, they could have had time to have twice as much inventory and be able to sell it all in a weekend with people on a wait list. More owners out there to get the word out.

100,000 units a success? ATT and Apple have already sold twice that much in pre-orders.

Sprint messed up on the release.
    Last edited by donm527; 06/15/2009 at 10:18 PM.
    No
    Best selling phone ever for Palm and Sprint
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    Absolutely successful. I'm trying to get my PrPrPré $replaced$ $and$ $can$'$t$.

This launch has been done just like the Diamond and Touch Pro before.
    I couldn't get a peep from any Sprint person confirming the Treo Pro until it was on the floor.
    You don't see the phone until launch day. If you want the phone you better be quick about it.
    We got to try it out quite a bit before we even got to the sales person.

Since nobody in my area has one ins stock it sure didn't backfire.