Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    303 Global Posts
    I loved the MLB audio ability of WM. From what i see, the Iphone app rocks. Until we get our own app, I wanted to figure out something. Its a horrible solution, but it works. As long as MLB is taking a wait and see approach, you can still listen to a ball game. Used this back in the day with palm os but pocketplayer was needed back then.

What u need:
    on pre-
    Classic
    -palm vnc

on pc-
    MLB gameday subscription - pc version
    winamp
    -shoutcast DNAS
    -shoutcast dsp plugin for winamp
    WinVNC

Setup-
    a. Configure the shoutcast DNAS
    b. Configure the dsp plugin
    -set it up for "soundcard input" and use microphone or line in with wire looped between ouput and input on pc. Alternatively use "what you hear" settings in win XP if your soundcard supports it.
    -type your IP in place of "localhost"
    -type the password you put into DNAS settings
    -choose MP3 encoder as opposed to the AAC encoder output
    c. Get the palm vnc working properly
    d. Forward the appropriate ports to your pc from router or firewall
    -do this for both palm vnc and shoutcast stream

You can probably see where this is going.
    1. Log into your pc with palm vnc
    2. start shoutcast server
    3. start winamp and dsp plugin should start automatically. you may need to configure the dsp settings each time
    3. Start gameday audio stream
    4. start web app on pre
    -type your home IP address like so h--p://yourip: port#/listen.pls

The web app will begin streaming the audio from you PC to the pre. I'm sure there's a huge lag, so don't have another tv/radio nearby or watch the gameday updates on pc otherwise the lag will just tick you off.

there are a ton of little things about this that bother me:
    -the palm vnc app "forgets" your connections settings like it never used to on palm os, so you have to type them each time
    -the web app on pre will not let you bookmark the page (hackers please work around). May have something to do with the graphical bookmark feature??? So once again you'll have to type your IP each time. Visit whatsmyIP from home to see what it is.
    -switching between all these apps really bites
    -palm vnc doesn't seem as stable in classic, but it does work
    -$30 for classic, although i prob would have it anyhow
    -shoutcast dsp settings seem to default to AAC+ audio which sounds like garbage but it will stream, so this will have to be set each time
    -bye bye battery life

On the plus side, the game sounds good (you can choose your bitrate in the DSP) and the pre streams without missing a beat (at least in good signal area). Other than classic and the MLB pc subscription - its all free. I guess you can have the ability to stream to pc then also so that's a plus. The MLB app for Pre (next season at earliest is my guess) will surely be a few bucks a month anyhow so $15 for a year isn't so bad.

Google can find the software downloads and get you through most of the setup. Or savvy precentral forum members can advise.

Take heart, if you bothered to go through all this, you truly are a fan!
    I can tell you with authority that MLB is aware of the Pre and will wait to see how it sells before decides to make an app like the iPhone's.
    For now, there's the mlb mobile web site. The Pre can't load the real mlb.com.
    Isn't there an app called Sporting News Pro Baseball? I never tried it.
    Systems Analyst by trade, Drummer by desire and Music Lover by birth. A self proclaimed Geek and gadget nut. ii

Did you know: The Pittsburgh Steelers have more championships than 21 other NFL teams combined!
    Pittsburgh Steelers-6 Time Super Bowl Champions!

Pittsburgh Penguins-3 Time Stanley Cup Champions!
    I received two emails from MLB Advanced Media and as general as it is it gave me the impression something is in the works:

What's funny is the second one was sent from the guy's iPhone (talk about customer service!)

Thank you very much. We are in the process of looking at the Palm Pre device but we don't have any products announced as of now, keep checking back.

And

Thanks for the note. We are always evaluating new devices and the devices our fans are using. Stay tuned...
    Global Posts
    303 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pavvento View Post
    I received two emails from MLB Advanced Media and as general as it is it gave me the impression something is in the works:

What's funny is the second one was sent from the guy's iPhone (talk about customer service!)

Thank you very much. We are in the process of looking at the Palm Pre device but we don't have any products announced as of now, keep checking back.

And

Thanks for the note. We are always evaluating new devices and the devices our fans are using. Stay tuned...
    I still say next season. This years playoffs at best. I mean, how long was the iphone out before there was an app? And imagine how many Iphones were out there. I'd gladly pay for an app if they had one. Hopefully they can prove me wrong. How long would it really take a programmer to port iphones app to pre? But I'm sure there a huge legal and logistical nightmare involved.

Sprint and Palm need to get it in gear and get phones out there. Only then will they take notice.
    Quote Originally Posted by cdjh View Post
    I still say next season. This years playoffs at best. I mean, how long was the iphone out before there was an app? And imagine how many Iphones were out there. I'd gladly pay for an app if they had one. Hopefully they can prove me wrong. How long would it really take a programmer to port iphones app to pre? But I'm sure there a huge legal and logistical nightmare involved.

Sprint and Palm need to get it in gear and get phones out there. Only then will they take notice.
    To be fair MLB previewed its app before the app store opened at WWDC I believe. I don't think they'll have something out before the playoffs either, but it really depends on when they get their hands on the SDK (maybe they do, who knows).

I really hope for something soon. I was stoked when MLB added audio to the app because it meant I could listen to the Yankees on the drive home (living in SF now) but since I've gotten the Pre that is no longer an option.
    Quote Originally Posted by patchs View Post
    I can tell you with authority that MLB is aware of the Pre and will wait to see how it sells before decides to make an app like the iPhone's.
    For now, there's the mlb mobile web site. The Pre can't load the real mlb.com.
    Actually you can load the real mlb.com.

I just googled mlb.com and had a choice of the mobile or the real version. It loaded just fine.
    Last edited by tripsbacks; 06/13/2009 at 11:19 AM. Reason: Typo
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    Its really disappointing that this is the first time in4 years I have no way to get gameday audio on my cell. whether through sprints own $5/mo gameday audio service, gameday audio for internet exploder for 2.49/mo, or the a-mazing gameday app for iPhone then there would always be an option. Now here we are with the worlds greatest phone and there's no options.

But I guess as a cubs fan its better this way. Who needs to hear the sound of $140million flushing down the toilet anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Urkel View Post
    Its really disappointing that this is the first time in4 years I have no way to get gameday audio on my cell. For a few years sprint offered it for 5/mo. Then I got a winmo phone where they had gameday audio for internet exploder for 2.49/mo. And with the amazing sprint network I'd be able to drive from LA to Vegas and only drop audio once. (ATT iPhone dropped contstantly but its a darn fine app.) Now here we are with the worlds greatest phone and there's no options.

But I guess as a cubs fan its better this way. Who needs to hear the sound of $140million flushing down the toilet anyway.
    I agree, but this is the price we pay for being early adopters.
    Does anyone else think that the SportingNews app is horrible by the way? It'd be nice if I had a fantasy team or something, to keep track of their stats, but for updates during the game/ play-by-play it's awful.
    Global Posts
    303 Global Posts
    I'm hopeful that by the time flash is available for pre, it won't be some watered down thing and we'll be able to see gameday play by play right on the pre. Resolution may be troublesome though.

Even with flash, the gameday audio is WMA right? So no dice there. We need an app and adobe to hurry up an see what that gets us. But there is no point for these companies to rush software for 100,000 of us. When we reach 1,000,000 they'll feel more pressure.
    Global Posts
    84 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Urkel View Post
    Its really disappointing that this is the first time in4 years I have no way to get gameday audio on my cell. whether through sprints own $5/mo gameday audio service, gameday audio for internet exploder for 2.49/mo, or the a-mazing gameday app for iPhone then there would always be an option. Now here we are with the worlds greatest phone and there's no options.

I do! (Mets fan)
    R.I.P. Windows Mobile (2002 - 2009)

HP Jornada 568 -> HP Ipaq 2215 -> Audiovox SMT5600 -> Tmobile SDA -> Qtek 8500 (HTC STRTrk) -> Motorola Q -> Sprint Mogul -> Sprint Touch -> Sprint Touch Diamond -> Sprint Touch Pro
    MLB had "MLB At Bat" availble day one of OS 2.0.... however, they did not include GameDay Audio until this season. Either way, the framework for mobile GameAudio is in place.
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    Cancelled my WinMo Gameday Mobile service and asked about the Pre.
    Hi,

We’ve placed the cancellation request on your account. We’re working on a Palm Pre solution, but don’t have any official release date.

Regards,

Ari Bencuya
    Sr. Coordinator, Mobile Team
    MLB.com Mobile | MLB.com: Mobile
    iPhone 3.0 came out and now MLB Streaming Full Live Games to iPhone Over 3G, Starting Tomorrow. We have the better 3G network so hopefully (before the season ends) MLB gives the Pre a full featured app rather than just a web link for audio.

(My iPhone no longer has service, but I actually bought the AtBat app anyway because at $9.99 it's cheaper and better than the stuff they offer on the computer. So I just use it over wifi at home.)
    Last edited by Urkel; 06/17/2009 at 01:38 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Does anyone else think that the SportingNews app is horrible by the way? It'd be nice if I had a fantasy team or something, to keep track of their stats, but for updates during the game/ play-by-play it's awful.
    It's not the best, but I use it to quickly look at scores and stats. Works OK for that.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Global Posts
    815 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    It's not the best, and it doesn't always seem to update.

When I signed up for alerts, i was hoping I would get text messages without having to open the application. And even if I have it running in the background, I still don't get notifications.

Also, I wish when it entered all my team's games into the calendar, I could have set something as a reminder 15 minutes before game time, instead I manually went through and added it myself.
    IMHO, the baseball app is as useful as the NASCAR app. I don't care for either of them...

College football or basketball apps please? I guess those will be rolled out during the appropriate times of the year.
    MLB at bat for the iPhone is in my opinion, the greatest 3rd party app ever. Beginning soon (rumored tomorrow) they will offer full streaming of all games over 3G. Now I can watch the Mets loose when I am traveling.

I know MLB has expressed interest in the Pre. Hopefully next season it will be available.
    Global Posts
    815 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    MLB at bat for the iPhone is in my opinion, the greatest 3rd party app ever. Beginning soon (rumored tomorrow) they will offer full streaming of all games over 3G. Now I can watch the Mets loose when I am traveling.

I know MLB has expressed interest in the Pre. Hopefully next season it will be available.
    Oh yea, well at least we will have NFL network, and game day audio for NFL teams streaming for home and visiting teams by the time the season starts I hope
    Quote Originally Posted by Reminiz View Post
    Oh yea, well at least we will have NFL network, and game day audio for NFL teams streaming for home and visiting teams by the time the season starts I hope
    Sprint says an NFL app will be out in August. It's on their Pre FAQs.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast