Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    Good morning.
    I was thinking of purchasing a Palm Pre today - and I am very glad I stopped here first.

Syncing with my work email.
    I am pretty computer savvy - but not IT savvy...either way, the way I have been reading the EAS PIN problem is this:

If my company requires a PIN to be placed on my phone - Pre won't allow it to work?

Is this the SAME PIN I was forced to place on my Treo Pro when ActiveSyncing to my work email? Every 20 minutes I have to unlock my phone with a PIN number...

I really want to make sure I understand this before I drop $479 (I only have $75 in rebates, any way to get the phone for cheap? Any ideas? I already have the everything plan...)

Thanks in advance for your help, I just dont want the phone to be a brick - I use it for work email quite a bit when out of the office.
    I don't think it does work with that PIN, yet. But Palm has said they expect to have those types of EAS issues ironed out within 60 days.
    Palm talked about this lack of security features before launch. This stuff, like IT Policies, is not supported yet. They promise it's coming, but for now it's not available. They warned folks who relied on it not to get the Pre at this time.
    Verizon
  4. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Palm talked about this lack of security features before launch.
    Did they? I remember them saying that the Pre supported EAS and leaving it at that. Have you link to this discussion?
    If they were aware of the EAS issues such as pin-locking, Palm should not have advertised EAS support, or at least should have included a small asterick with a footnote indicating its known shortcomings.

Now if they were not aware of these shortcomings, then they should have done a better job testing the device.
    Quote Originally Posted by UCFgrad05 View Post
    I really want to make sure I understand this before I drop $479 (I only have $75 in rebates, any way to get the phone for cheap? Any ideas? I already have the everything plan...)
    Yes, wait for your contract to be up. By then, EAS will probably work perfectly.
    Good morning.
    I was thinking of purchasing a Palm Pre today - and I am very glad I stopped here first.

I am pretty computer savvy - but not IT savvy...either way, the way I have been reading the EAS PIN problem is this:

If my company requires a PIN to be placed on my phone - Pre won't allow it to work?

Is this the SAME PIN I was forced to place on my Treo Pro when ActiveSyncing to my work email? Every 20 minutes I have to unlock my phone with a PIN number...

Thanks in advance for your help, I just dont want the phone to be a brick - I use it for work email quite a bit when out of the office.
    You understand correctly. As has been mentioned, Palm has said they expect a solution within the next 60 days. If this is a requirement, you should wait.
    Quote Originally Posted by DanPLC View Post
    If they were aware of the EAS issues such as pin-locking, Palm should not have advertised EAS support, or at least should have included a small asterick with a footnote indicating its known shortcomings.

Now if they were not aware of these shortcomings, then they should have done a better job testing the device.
    Palm was aware of the shortcomings. All mobile devices (except WinMo) have EAS shortcomings. Palm advertised that the Pre synced email, contacts, and calenders using EAS. It does. It's that simple.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Did they? I remember them saying that the Pre supported EAS and leaving it at that. Have you link to this discussion?
    It was discussed at length on here. Palm iformed Sprint, and Sprint had an internal document on how to qualify potential customers. Customers that needed devices that had controlled content, or required security measures (such as pin locking) were to be told to look at the Palm Pro.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    It was discussed at length on here. Palm iformed Sprint, and Sprint had an internal document on how to qualify potential customers. Customers that needed devices that had controlled content, or required security measures (such as pin locking) were to be told to look at the Palm Pro.
    I remember seeing that also.
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

Good morning.

The phone is $350 at best buy if you are only eligble for a 1 year upgrade.