Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    If I had 7 dead pixels on a 60" LCD, I would be annoyed. Having 7 on a Pre can cause hair loss. Whoever heads the quality control department needs to have their head kicked in.
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    Where do you find the manufacture date?
    On the dial screen type ##786#.

- Garrett
    my pre was in a white box not updated with 1.02 yet, and its fine. i dont have any of the problems with the battery, pixels, keyboard, whatever else.
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    My Pre came in the white box and it does have 2 of the reported problems mentioned with the first batch that came out. I currently have 1 dead pixel and some light distortion at the bottom of the screen.
    My build date is 06/05/2009 and I have no issues with my (or my daughter's) Pre. White box if you need to know.

The slider does seem to have a firm spring loaded feel to it which I like. No dead pixels or distortion on the screen. And, I have to agree with a previous poster, the touch screen is very responsive.

Cards seem to load pretty quickly for me as well ... maybe 2 or 3 seconds for each to pop up. I don't seem to have much of a heat issue, even when on the phone for 30+ minutes at a time.

We are loving our Pre's!
    << My command as we escape Palm HQ with a new Pre 3>>.

Treo 300 >> Treo 600 >> Treo 650 >> Treo 755 >> Instinct >> Pre- >> TouchPad
    Global Posts
    110 Global Posts
    I had a white box without the update. I sat in the Sprint store for 30 min while the OTA update came. I had issues with the top portion of the phone becoming loose and almost able to rotate...needless to say I returned it and the replacement came in the same style box, but had 1.02 and no slider issues or dead pixels.

I don't think there is really any positive correlation between packaging and defects.
    White/yellow box, purchased on 6/13, warranty date, 6/8, 1.02 preloaded, dead pixel, loose slider w/very annoying gap/clicking in upper left hand corner. Taking back within 30-day trial.
    Just to make sure you are all clear on this, ALL the Pre boxes are white, it's the clear sleeve (yellow or black) that differentiates the builds.
    Mine came in a white/yellow box on 6/6, with 1.01 loaded, warranty date of 5/18/06 (wow). Mine has some rotation and the gap/click at the top left corner. I'm thinking I'll exchange within my 30 day window.

Speaking of, when you return do you take just the phone or all the packaging and claptrap, too?

-dirt
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    I had to exchange my defective black and white box pre and when I received the yellow and white sunrise box the pre was more sturdy and had better battery life. I'm sure it might have to do with when they are made since the first batch of any new device will usually have a higher rate of defection.
    I went to the Sprint store near me ( buy a case)and compared mine to a new version and no differnece. Same keyboard etc. Its just luck of the draw, there are issues with all of them. There are people on here who just got them and have the pixel, slider issues. Again its just luck of the draw. People were saying the same things with the 800W. 2 weeks later there was supposedlty versions with the update and had a better build and the battery lasted longer. People were exchanging them for the newer one. I did . I exchanged a perfect one for a new one and got one that had bad pixels and heat issues . Had to return again. Best unless you have major issues dont exchange your for a new one. You could get one with 5 problems.
    My Pre is a black sleeve, came with 1.0.1. Build quality is fair, there is a tiny bit of side wiggle on the slider (a few millimeters), but otherwise solid. The phone has zero hardware issues, and the battery life gets better with every charge. My only problem is music after the 1.0.2 update - 1.0.1 played music, Pandora, and videos fine, but 1.0.2 gives me issues. Its a minor issue, and considering I dodged the bullet on light leakage, dead pixels, and all that fun stuff, I'll wait for a software update that addresses it.
    Palm III -> Palm M100 -> Palm VII -> Tmobile MDA (The 3 year mistake) -> Palm Pre

Hello, Palm. Good to have you back. Let's just pretend that the whole "me leaving you for WinMo" thing never happened, OK?
    I am not sure about which version of the Pre I have... but if/when I close my slider too fast or too hard... the screen goes blank (backlight still on) and I am forced to reboot the phone.

Quite annoying as I can duplicate this very easily, I really have to baby it when I close the slider.

Will most likely be returning it for another. Is this happening to anyone else?
    I went from a black box, to yellow box. The yellow box Pre feels more solid and the keyboard slides and locks into place. The keyboard also feels a lot better on the yellow box Pre.
    My Pre has a warranty date of 5/25/09 with the white/black sleeve. No dead/stuck pixels, the keyboard feels fine, and the slider is perfect, with the right amount of spring tension. I'm also getting decent battery life.

Note that this is my first smartphone, I upgraded from a first gen Katana, and before that a Sanyo 8100. I will say this is the best phone I've ever had by far.
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    I bought a Pre with the yellow sleeve on 6/10 with a Warranty date of 5/30 and 1.02 preloaded. I have pretty poor battery life (I do live on AIM so that's part of it) the slider when closed gets looser everyday and when turning on you can see at least 5 hot pixels, and some light discoloration near the gesture area has been present since Day 1, and the signal has been weaker everywhere (-1 to 2 bars) compared to the A900 I came from (which wasn't exactly known for its great signal).

I had put myself on waiting lists at 3 sprint stores and am thinking about attempting an exchange when one of the other two finally call. A Pre bought at a corp. store can be exchanged at any corp store right? But not at an affiliate store?
    Quote Originally Posted by DjPiLL View Post
    I am not sure about which version of the Pre I have... but if/when I close my slider too fast or too hard... the screen goes blank (backlight still on) and I am forced to reboot the phone.

Quite annoying as I can duplicate this very easily, I really have to baby it when I close the slider.

Will most likely be returning it for another. Is this happening to anyone else?
    Your issue is most likely related to the battery being undersized. When you close the slider it disconnects the battery for a split second and you have to turn it back on. Go get a replacement battery from Sprint.
    Quote Originally Posted by fgkay View Post
    White/yellow box, purchased on 6/13, warranty date, 6/8, 1.02 preloaded, dead pixel, loose slider w/very annoying gap/clicking in upper left hand corner. Taking back within 30-day trial.
    Same exact situations, except no problems with mine, as of yet at least... ::Knocks on wood::
    Global Posts
    290 Global Posts
    I got a black boxed Pre on June 6th, and it was solid except for a little dimple was present in the screen. The salesman asked me really nicely to exchange it later in the week, rather than asking for a new one. I've had good luck with that store, so I agreed. The keyboard was solid and the slider was great, except it was starting to loosen up a bit.

Later in the week I got on the waiting list for an exchange and got my exchange on Saturday and it was a yellow box one. The slider feels a little more solid when open, but a little less solid when closed. Otherwise, the keyboard does feel better. I asked them about the slider wiggle, and they said it was "within spec" even though it is looser than my black boxed one. I think I'm going to wait and see if it gets any worse, and if it does I'll go back and see if they'll replace it.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast