Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    Wow, is all that I can say. My wife and I both love these phones. Yes there are some little things here and there, but we had been waiting to jump into the "smartphone" thing until the right time. I am familiar with the iPhone as my brother and other family members have them, and they are neat devices to be sure.

BUT you could not pry this Palm Pre away from me for an iPhone. The whole multi-tasking of applications with "cards" things is 100% unique compared to the iPhone, and having a keyboard is a must now that I have actually used it compared to the attempts I had made on my brother's iPhone to type on the "virtual keyboard". These two facts alone are reason enough that I would stick with the Pre and be thrilled. My brother-in-law has an iTouch, and he was very impressed with the webOS on this phone when I demonstrated last night.

The text, e-mail, calendar, phone call etc. notifications at the bottom of the screen are really intuitive and great.

I am a computer savvy person, but my wife who is not already is very comfortable with the user interface and also loves the "gestures" where you can swipe applications away and such.

And one very real factor that is just the icing on the cake for this bad boy is the fact that we are paying much less than AT&T at $129.99 per month combined for the both of us to get 1500 anytime minutes and unlimited everything else, and this is before any account discounts that we already had. And we can actually get awesome Sprint 3G network speeds where we are at compared to the AT&T network.

So basically if you are someone who doesn't come into this with a certain bias and are still wondering if this phone is worth it, then run don't walk to get this thing. You won't regret it, one of the best tech purchases that I have ever made. And that says something because I have made quite a few
    Just to be fair, you'd need to own the iphone for a week or two and practice on that kb. You won't pick it up just trying it out for a few minutes. You won't be that accurate on it but autocorrect helps a bunch.

But even then, lots just prefer the physical kb. Though i can still type faster on the iphone. It's a wash for me as the kb doesn't really affect my decision when comparing the two.
    Quote Originally Posted by bcatwilly View Post
    Unbiased Brief Palm Pre Review
    Quote Originally Posted by bcatwilly View Post
    Wow, is all that I can say.

BUT you could not pry this Palm Pre away from me for an iPhone.

The text, e-mail, calendar, phone call etc. notifications at the bottom of the screen are really intuitive and great.

And we can actually get awesome Sprint 3G network speeds where we are at compared to the AT&T network.

So basically if you are someone who doesn't come into this with a certain bias and are still wondering if this phone is worth it, then run don't walk to get this thing.
    Thank you for that "brief" ( ), "unbiased" ( ) review. Definitely don't quit your day job.
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    Thank you for that "brief" ( ), "unbiased" ( ) review. Definitely don't quit your day job.
    LOL, I guess what I really intended to convey (apparently not very well) is that I did not go into this as a "fan boy" of either. I love technology from anybody and think the iPhone is really neat from the times that I have used it too. I was definitely considering an iPhone if it came to that, but boy was I blown away by how great the Pre is.
    Global Posts
    210 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Just to be fair, you'd need to own the iphone for a week or two and practice on that kb. You won't pick it up just trying it out for a few minutes. You won't be that accurate on it but autocorrect helps a bunch.

But even then, lots just prefer the physical kb. Though i can still type faster on the iphone. It's a wash for me as the kb doesn't really affect my decision when comparing the two.
    Curius how you came to that conclusion, how did you test to figure out which one you are faster on?
    a physical keyboard is a MUST!

I dont care how fast you can type on the virtual one. When it comes down to it....lets say youre driving and need to place a call immediately.

On the Pre: I slide the keyboard and with my touch sense I can feel where my finger is pressing and can accurately type "Robert" without looking and place the call.

On the virtual: I need to look down every time to make sure Im pressing the key I want.
    Quote Originally Posted by LACienega View Post

I dont care how fast you can type on the virtual one. When it comes down to it....lets say youre driving and need to place a call immediately.

On the Pre: I slide the keyboard and with my touch sense I can feel where my finger is pressing and can accurately type "Robert" without looking and place the call.

On the virtual: I need to look down every time to make sure Im pressing the key I want.
    I never thought of it that way but that is so true!
    Quote Originally Posted by LACienega View Post
    I used to agree with this statement 100%, but my experience with the Pre forced me to modify it to be: "A good physical keyboard is a must." I find I don't like the keyboard on the Pre - especially in cases like the example you provided.