Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hi all. I've found a ton of great info on this forum over the past week- keep it up!

I have a problem. Windows Vista / Windows Media Player does not recognize detect my Pre as a portable media device. This may be a windows and not a Pre issue, but I'm wondering if anyone else is having the same problem.

Windows Vista detects the Pre itself just fine, and I can browse the file system, yadda yadda. But WMP does not see it as a media device in both usb and media mode. Did you guys who are using WMP to sync media with your Pre do anything special to get WMP to "see" your Pre as a media device? Are you using XP or Vista or Windows 7?
  2.    #2  
    Clarification:

I should add that the Pre is indeed listed in the device manager under "Portable Devices" as "iPod" when the Pre is connected in Media Sync mode, and it is listed under "Portable Devices" as "Pre" when in USB Mass Storage mode.

However, in neither mode does Windows Media Player automatically detect it so that I can sync it.

Has anyone else found a solution or reproduced this problem?
    I had the same problem with my vista machine. But since draging and dropping all of my files was just as easy I didn't really put much time into it ... I just wanted to start using my pre. But now I would love to see what we can come up with so I can start to put some playlists on here!
    Global Posts
    99 Global Posts
    I also have a probelm with it connecting with Windows Media Player. Is it really all that odd that the Apple Developers, I mean Palm Pre developers, have snubbed the Windows users?

I am using Windows 7 FWIW.
  5.    #5  
    hmmm. can we hear from some folk who have been able to sync with WMP?

i know i saw a couple people in other threads say they have done it. i wonder if these people are running XP and not Vista/7?
    Global Posts
    99 Global Posts
    Ok, I just tried it on Win XP and it's installed WMP and it does come up as a portable device.
  7.    #7  
    eureka.

looks like we've found a new potential bug.

can anyone else confirm WMP find the Pre in XP but not in Vista/Win7?
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    I had the same problem connecting to window media player, but figured it out. When connecting, Pre shows three buttons - media sync, usb mode or just charge.

Simply choose USB MODE and WMP will recognize your device. There you can sync. Problem is I havent figured out how to sync just the play list. It just sync the entire music.
    Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    It works on one computer and not the other one. Both win 7 64. One the bad one I went to settings and refreshed the device list in wmp. It found it. But could not convert wma to mp3.simply didn't sync those files. My other computer did just fine, both comp connected in usb mode. He good one intel bad one amd but not sure why the difference
    Mine does not appear to be recognized by WMP using either the "USB SYNC" or "MEDIA SYNC" options. I'm also using Vista.
  11.    #11  
    gar. so not only is it a bug, it's an inconsistent bug!

i've tried everything it seems, and it simply will not work for me.

i've tried both modes (USB and Media/iPod mode), and refreshing the WMP device list. i've even gone into the device manager and uninstalled all the Pre hardware and started over from scratch. no dice.
    Same here. Have tried both modes in various combinations. Reinstalled driver stuff, too. Tried connecting with WMP started and before starting it, as if that would help.
    Still looking for a solutions.
    Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    balls. is there a bug list we can submit this to?
    I seem to remember one floating around here.
    I've sync'd my Pre with WMP on Vista 32-bit by using the Pre's "USB" mode. When I run WMP, it detects the Pre and I can select "Sync" and it will sync either a random set of songs or designated playlists to sync. I stopped the sync after awhile because it was going to try to fill the device and I want some space left.
    Luckily there are many other (and arguably better) Windows programs aside from WMP that work just fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by DanPLC View Post
    I've sync'd my Pre with WMP on Vista 32-bit by using the Pre's "USB" mode. When I run WMP, it detects the Pre and I can select "Sync" and it will sync either a random set of songs or designated playlists to sync. I stopped the sync after awhile because it was going to try to fill the device and I want some space left.
    I have the same setup. Did you do anything special when allowing the Pre to install at connection? Wonder what I am doing differently....?

Quote Originally Posted by neodorian View Post
    Luckily there are many other (and arguably better) Windows programs aside from WMP that work just fine.
    Suggestions for alternatives to WMP that will allow the Pre to sync as a media player? Preferably with playlist support? (Besides iTunes)
    My guess is that you have locked your Pre as an iPod on computer. So threrefore, wmp sees the device as an ipod which can not connect to it. So my recommendation is to download itunes and just to select all the music and click & drag it to itunes. This should work perfectly. To download itunes go to the following link.
    Apple - Download music and more with iTunes. Play it all on iPod..
    Last edited by Rennat; 06/15/2009 at 10:48 AM.
    Thanks for the info, but I was hoping to get by without using iTunes.
    Any other ideas? I'm sure it's something I've overlooked...
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    when using USB mode, WMP detects my pre with my vista machine, as well as my old XP machine.

on the XP machine though, I have the old version of WMP, and it tried to sync every song. if you go into the sync settings, under the device properties, you can tell it to only sync specific playlists.
    neathings - neatˇthings and apps for webOS
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by neodorian View Post
    Perhaps, but that doesn't help those of us who have our extensive music libraries perfectly organized in WMP, and actually like WMP better than any other programs.

Quote Originally Posted by DanPLC View Post
    That is so bizarre. I have the exact same setup as you near as I can tell, but WMP does not detect my Pre at all- even if I refresh the devices.

Quote Originally Posted by Rennat View Post
    My guess is that you have looked your Pre as an iPod on computer. So threrefore, wmp sees the device as an ipod...
    This is not the problem. The device is connected as a USB drive, and the computer does not think it is an iPod in that mode.

Quote Originally Posted by Rennat View Post
    my recommendation is to download itunes...
    NEVER!!!!!!!!!!!!

In all seriousness, I hate itunes. I think it sucks. No offense to anyone who likes it- this is clearly a matter of personal preference. But I just hate hate hate it, and will NOT use it.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast