Global Posts
    355 Global Posts
    If you have a Kindle 2, you have an extra USB cable for your Pre.

I tested my Kindle 2 USB cable with my Pre this morning, and it worked well. This is good for me since I'm using a Touchstone and I don't want to have to disconnect it from the wall charger to get things to/from the Pre. Now I can use my Kindle 2 USB cable (which normally goes in my notebook bag).

I thought I'd share this find for those who also have a Kindle 2.
    Global Posts
    136 Global Posts
    Well, in fact almost any micro USB cable should work....
    I love the fact that the pre has a micro-usb cable... until now, I was carrying around:

Mini-usb for my touch pro
    Micro-usb for my kindle (kindle dx now
    Ipod cable

Now, I don't need to carry around my ipod since the pre works pretty well as a media player and therefore I only need one cable with me... joy...
    Newton->Visor Deluxe->Visor Prism->Treo 300->Treo 600->Treo 650->Treo 755p->Touch Pro->Palm Pre!
    Global Posts
    355 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dchamero View Post
    Well, in fact almost any micro USB cable should work....
    True... and I wouldn't have ever posted this trivial piece of info had I not read here on the forums that in some way, the micro-USB connector appeared to be somehow different from others, and there was question as to whether third-party micro USB connectors could be used.

I am happy that Palm and the rest of the phone manufacturers are handing us a solid on accessories.
    Are you saying you're using the wall charger of the Kindle, or just USB to the computer?
    Global Posts
    355 Global Posts
    I only used it with the computer. I wouldn't think that the wall charger for the Kindle 2 would be any different from the wall charger for the Pre. I can try later.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge767 View Post
    I only used it with the computer. I wouldn't think that the wall charger for the Kindle 2 would be any different from the wall charger for the Pre. I can try later.
    Thanks. It would make my life much easier if it does work. We have two Kindles at home.
    I purchased a TouchStone for work so from day 1 after checking the ratings on both adapters I have been using my Kindle 2 charger to charge my Pre at night. They are the same voltage (5.0) and connector (Micro-USB), the only difference being that the Pre will charge 15% slower with the Kindle 2 charger as it is only .85 amps versus 1.00 amps for the Palm Pre charger.

Also, Seido is currently making accessories for the Pre but they have already tested their $15.95 high-output wall charger with the Pre and it works great!
    -Marc K.
    Anyone try the Apple Ipod/Iphone USB Charger? It is also rated 5 volts, 1 amp.
    Apple USB Power Adapter - Apple Store (U.S.)

I tried a cheap knockoff version from Dealextreme. It would charge the Pre alone, but didn't have enough umph to charge it on the Touchstone. I suspect the cheaper knockoff suffered from a voltage dip. It would keep cycling the power on and off.
    I've been tempted to try one of the many usb chargers from discount electronics websites...I found one somewhere for 1.99 shipped free and the matching micro-USB cable was only $3 also free shipping.
    Global Posts
    119 Global Posts
    If anyone needs a car charger with USB to work with whatever Pre microUSB cord they're using, I just bought a "Bell" USB car adapter from Kragen (auto parts store). It was cheap and works just fine (I combined this with the forum suggested cord from Monoprice dot com). Just an FYI.
    Also posted this in the accessories fourm --

Based on info from the nimrods on this forum, I just bought the Kindle charger on amazon.

WARNING! The Kindle micro usb cable does NOT fit the touchtone, so you'll need a separate usb cable.

Also, with another usb cable, the AC power adapter was getting kind of warm, as well as the touchtone, so I'm not getting a warm and fuzzy about this thing as a really good long term solution.

The good news is, for $15, I guess it would make a decent travel travel, just plugging it straight into the phone micro usb port.