1.    #1  
    Is it normal for the Palm Pre to turn on when charger is inserted into the usb port? It seems like this will most likely drain the battery very easily with the phone always on, whenever you charge the phone.
    I read another thread with the same problem, and it does seem to happen when you plug in your charger after your have turned it off with and without the Touchstone I believe. Some users recommend plugging it in and then turning it off. I cant find the thread anymore .
    When I plug mine in to USB to charge, the screen goes out when I'm not using it after 1 minute just like when it's not plugged in. Do you mean the screen stays on when in USB Drive mode or Media Sync mode? In those cases, the screen does stay on. My guess is it stays on because it has to since it has a constant connection with the computer. Hope that helps.
    i believe it only stays on when in usb/media sync mode, at least for me it does, when you choose the just charge option it will turn off
    it only stays on if you're charging it on the touchstone.
    it seems if i turn the phone all the way off it charges super fast. I get that it should cause its not using any power while it charges, but I mean the thing topped off from 30% to full in like an hour...just seemed super fast!
    I found this out yesterday as I tried to charge my nearly dead Pre (this was at about 6 o clock in the evening btw) and I would keep turning my phone off because as it was charging if I got a text message or email it would beep and turn back on. Very annoying to say the least because the Pre charges like molasses in January when it is on.
    What good is a man if he can not change the world?
    Kingdom of Heaven
    It is turned on no matter charging through USB or Touchstone. When plugged into USB, the screen shuts off, but the phone is still on. When it is charging on the Touchstone, the screen never shuts off. The phone, though charges incredibly fast, within an hour. When charging with Touchstone, if the phone is off, it will go to a dark screen with the time at top. If you put the phone on Touchstone when the phone is on, it will be the regular screen and won't shut off. Touch the power button and it will go to the dark screen with just the clock on it and the dot to unlock.

Either way the phone charges only when it is turned on, just like the iPhone.
  9.    #9  
    Thanks, Now I know that it is normal to always turn on when charging.
    I've had other phones that when off, would turn on when attached to the charger. The work around, is to plug the phone in and THEN turn it off.
    However, with the pre, this does not work. I plug Pre in and hold down power for 5 seconds and tap "turn off". When I come back later, it has powered on by itself!
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by majorhavoc View Post
    I've had other phones that when off, would turn on when attached to the charger. The work around, is to plug the phone in and THEN turn it off.
    However, with the pre, this does not work. I plug Pre in and hold down power for 5 seconds and tap "turn off". When I come back later, it has powered on by itself!
    I've just experienceded this charging wierdness ..

I plugged the USB charge cord in....went to bed...l(ike every other phone in the world and all my other Treos)...after breakefast next day picked up the phone and it would not come on. No response to the power button ......nothing. Finally, not knowing what else to do.....I pulled the battery out to reset everything.... This got me a PALM logo with a "glowing" backlight behind the letters.....then eventually a normal Pre card screen came up.....but to my surprise,...after being plugged in to the charger all this time.... the Pre was NOT FULLY CHARGED....after something like 15 hours.....??????.

So now I've unplugged in the USB charge cord and plugged it in again, then held down the power button until the screen with the TURN OFF option appears and then turned it off.

Will see what happens ???????????
    Warren C.