1.    #1  
    I have lived with the 5 pages of favorites buttons - including one button access to specific web pages, access to all ohone numbers for contacts etc.

How are some of you finding this transition and what are you doing to make the Pre as productive (obviously it can do many other things much better than the Treo).

One more question: How can we dial extra digits etc as we could with the Treo 700 and 755? I could really, really use this as I populate calling card numbers into certain overseas contacts or have access to company voice mail etc.
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    I had exactly the same problem. I am using speed dials from contacts, it's much improved from speed dial on treo. For dialing extra digits, use "t" for creating 2 second pause, or "P" for puase. Search forum and you will find more tips. Also get used to using universal search, that takes away the need for creating favorite buttons.
  3. UserOne
    Unfortunately, I can't help ya on the dialing extra digits thing.

I can say that I'm using the universal search thing a TON more & more each day in order to get to things more easily (since I don't have a group of physical buttons on the front on my phone now as I did with the 755p).

Just my .02
    Quote Originally Posted by gkouri View Post
    I have lived with the 5 pages of favorites buttons - including one button access to specific web pages, access to all ohone numbers for contacts etc.

How are some of you finding this transition and what are you doing to make the Pre as productive (obviously it can do many other things much better than the Treo).

I've done something that I'm not sure I've seen mentioned...

I've seperated my Launcher pages. Page 1 is for all my most-used contacts. Page 2, I've put all my favorite www links. And page three is where I moved all of my applications. My 3 most important apps(phone, alarm clock & app store) are still on the first page, at the top, but the rest of the page is contacts.
    Motorola Q (Original) -> Palm Centro -> Palm 755p -> Palm 800w -> Palm Pre
    Is there a big demand for Favourites?
    I'll probably develop an app if there isn't one by the time the GSM version arrives in the UK (October/Nov/Dec?).
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    I totally agree about the favorites pages. I used those constantly for freq called numbers, along with speed dial. I guess I need to force myself to use Universal Search. I suppose typing a couple of letters is not any slower than using the five-way to scroll over three pages then down to the correct button, but it just seemed quicker before.
    I also liked the four buttons on the face of my Centro so I could turn the phone on and have my app up and running. Oh well, the Pre is just so beautiful I can't give it up.
  7.    #7  
    The favorits has a BIG advantage in that you would not need to open the keyboard and type. With favorites, you can operate with a thumb with just a glance. I know that we are not supposed to drive with these things, but the treo was the only phone I could use without killing myself.

Count me in as a paying customer if the application appears...
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cdaniel76 View Post
    I've done something that I'm not sure I've seen mentioned...

I've seperated my Launcher pages. Page 1 is for all my most-used contacts. Page 2, I've put all my favorite www links. And page three is where I moved all of my applications. My 3 most important apps(phone, alarm clock & app store) are still on the first page, at the top, but the rest of the page is contacts.

I tried doing this too as a way to setup a page of easy to get to Speed Dial contacts. However, I realized that this doesn't work very well if you have more than one number listed for a contact. In those cases selecting a contact then brings up the detail view where you can select which number you want.

I would really like to see an app that gives similar functionality of the iPhone speed dial; you double click the center button which brings up your favorites list, and then a single tap will dial that persons default number.
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    The other benifit of the speed dial list was that was the only way contacts transfered and were usable on bluetooth for my car.
    can someone walk me through setting up a deal where you have all these voice prompts i.e. for blah blah blah press XX then you go over that 3 more times. would be nice to be able to go right to it.
    The universal search doesn't bring up my bookmarks, so I've got the ones I use most often as the thumbnails that show up when web is opened. If it brought up bookmarks, it wouldnt be an issue. I did however discover that if I have web open and I'm typing there, it will bring up bookmarks by keywords. So if I start typing "recipes", it brings up all my book marks that have that in it, whether or not that is the first word of the url.
    The value of knowledge is not in its possession, but in its use.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyril View Post
    Is there a big demand for Favourites?
    I'll probably develop an app if there isn't one by the time the GSM version arrives in the UK (October/Nov/Dec?).
    I had a Treo 755P and the Favorites buttons I used constantly. I would love this feature on the Pre. For quick phone or web access I did not have to open the phone. Don't get me wrong, I think that Universal Search is great and I can locate obscure contacts and such thru it... but I must open up the key board and type. With a Favorites Menu it is on the main screen (no need to open the keyboard) and can do it one handed.

I'd buy the app for it!
    I use this function constantly on my Centro. I've been exploring on my husband's Pre but am not ready to get one myself until the Pre has favorites buttons. This saves me a lot of time. The Universal Search on the Pre adds a big delay compared to what I'm used to.
    Last edited by mom2two; 03/12/2010 at 01:17 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by mom2two View Post
    I use this function constantly on my Centro. I've been exploring on my husband's Pre but am not ready to get one myself until the Pre has favorites buttons. This saves me a lot of time. The Universal Search on the Pre adds a big delay compared to what I'm used to.
    that's what launcher pages can be used for. Get the "add/delete launcher pages" patch as well as "named pages in the launcher" and you'll find that you have your fav pages
    buy super contacts plus from the app store.. You can set up your most used contacts, and also groups for mass emails and sms, all with one press.. Contacts with multiple numbers you just press the button mutiple times to get to the number you want. Example. My wifes number is set one press dials her and two presses sms her. Well worth the two bucks
    Quote Originally Posted by sketch42 View Post
    that's what launcher pages can be used for. Get the "add/delete launcher pages" patch as well as "named pages in the launcher" and you'll find that you have your fav pages
    I appreciate the tip and will check this out as I consider which phone to get. I'm thinking my post should be in the Pixi forum since that's the phone I'm leaning toward right now and it has the exposed keypad that I'd want to use for the shortcuts. (I'm looking for press-and-hold-one-button access to my favorite applications.) But I'll still definitely keep these suggestions in mind. Thanks!
    You can assign a speed dial key in the contacts app, then just press and hold that key in either the launcher, card view or phone app. Since you're leaning towards the Pixi, it's even easier because you don't have to slide out the keyboard to use the speed dials...
    Yeah, uhh... it's Kevin. (KevinT was already taken.)

PalmPilot Professional, Palm V, Kyocera 7135, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Palm Prē & Prē 2, HP TouchPad & Veer