Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I know from reading the forums here that one cannot yet change the default sound that's made when a text message comes in. After getting the phone earlier today, I thought, "hey, I just need to hear it, it'll be okay". Unfortunately, the like "ding-ding" noise it makes is not enough for me. Not even close to enough.

Personal text messages are trivial and I don't care when I receive them. But I also run a web business (it's just me, no employees or co-founders), and if my servers go down, I receive an SMS notification. On my Treo, the text message notification is blaring loud, chosen specifically to be able to wake me from even the deepest sleep in the event of a server crash.

But with the inability to change that message, I feel I'll have no choice but to return the phone, at least until that functionality is added.

Which disappoints me, to say the least. I've been lurking this site for months anxiously awaiting the release of the pre, and I love many of the features of the phone, but my business is my primary concern above all. And I'm not a heavy business user type (no exchange syncing or any of that drama), but I absolutely NEED to be able to blast my face off if a server goes down.

So with that boring old story as my first post here, I don't suppose anyone has any idea when this functionality is planning on being added? I REALLY don't want to return the phone, but I have a sinking feeling in my stomach that I will likely have no choice in the matter, if I value my business (and by extension, my livelihood).
  2. H_D
    Global Posts
    2,597 Global Posts
    Should be added in a future update. Not a deal breaker personally though.
    Sounds like this phone isn't for you if this function is what you need most.

As for a date when it will be patched, I cant answer because I don't know. If I were to guess I would say in the next 3-4 weeks there will be a patch to the OS or a hack for it (if there isn't one already)

If not there is always the option of setting up a megaphone next to it constantly on (I kid I kid)
    My thoughts exactly Ya Boi D. Even though I'm very happy to get the Pre at launch, I always realized I (well, we early adopters/beta testers ) would get a Pre without the final nuts & bolts of the "final version" but with still tons of promise.

I would even say the announced "late marketing campaign" could coincide with a Pre loaded with the latest ROM -which us, as devoted beta testers, would get first crack at it.
    I love this tone. I prob wont change it.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Proof2006 View Post
    I love this tone. I prob wont change it.
    It's a very pleasant and non-intrusive noise, and for most users, I'm sure that it's just fine.

If the update for it comes very soon, I'd tolerate living in constant fear for a few days or a week, but it would be completely unrealistic for me to expect or demand it.

I just don't know. I'll think about it more on a clear mind tomorrow and decide if I'm going to keep it and hope for a rapid release schedule or take it back and wait for that feature to be released before buying again.
    I already changed it. Does anyone know a website with nice alerts and system sounds. I would like to find the perfect alert. I'm looking for high quality stuff.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by nws0291 View Post
    I already changed it. Does anyone know a website with nice alerts and system sounds. I would like to find the perfect alert. I'm looking for high quality stuff.
    Might I ask how you changed it?
    In the meantime, doesn't vibrate help your situation? For any instances where I won't hear the tone (although honestly the tone for the txt alerts are far too loud to miss for me in most case), the short vibration afterwards generally catches my attention.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by ByteMaster0 View Post
    In the meantime, doesn't vibrate help your situation?
    The vibrate helps a little, but my concern is more for:

1) When I'm asleep, or
    2) When the phone just happens to be in another room

I can sleep pretty heavily, but the "Up-Down" sound on the Treo is enough to rouse me from a reasonably deep slumber.
    Global Posts
    412 Global Posts
    I totally sympathize with you, chops. While it's not important for me to receive these alerts (no business or anything), it's annoying to not know about a text until an hour later. :rollyes:

On my old dumb phone, I had a high pitch squeel thing, and I loved it. It was short, but to the point. I HOPE we can change this sometime soon.

I can't ever imagine it waking me up as I usually can't even hear it when I'm in the same room as the phone.
    What if this whole crusade's a charade? -Trent Reznor
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chops View Post
    Might I ask how you changed it?
    probably followed this guide:
    pre dev wiki: Change the default notification.wav Sound

I would like to change the sound to a quick "beep-beep", so it sounds like a pager. this way, while at meetings, if someone texts me, it makes me look important, rather than stupid because i forgot to mute my phone.
    neathings - neatˇthings and apps for webOS
    Ive been looking for a tone like this for so long simple and not obnoxious. it wakes me up sometimes and sometimes it doesnt. I dont really like it waking me up anyway
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by pomokey View Post
    probably followed this guide:
    pre dev wiki: Change the default notification.wav Sound
    Oh SNAP! Thank you.

I'll be tinkering with this tomorrow.
    Global Posts
    412 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pomokey View Post
    Ok, does anyone have the instructions in English? LOL! I have NO idea what I just read. Haha.
    Quote Originally Posted by Carioca_FL View Post
    My thoughts exactly Ya Boi D. Even though I'm very happy to get the Pre at launch, I always realized I (well, we early adopters/beta testers ) would get a Pre without the final nuts & bolts of the "final version" but with still tons of promise.

I would even say the announced "late marketing campaign" could coincide with a Pre loaded with the latest ROM -which us, as devoted beta testers, would get first crack at it.
    i concur with ya boi D as well
    I set the ringer and the text sound to silent with system sounds off, but volume up under system sounds so my alarm can sound still.
    Quote Originally Posted by NINnerd View Post
    Ok, does anyone have the instructions in English? LOL! I have NO idea what I just read. Haha.
    If you don't understand them I suggest calling your local Linux admin/ Unix geek friend and get him/her to do it and explain it for you in exchange for ice cream/coffee/moolah/DIY work/whatever!
    Global Posts
    412 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyril View Post
    If you don't understand them I suggest calling your local Linux admin/ Unix geek friend and get him/her to do it and explain it for you in exchange for ice cream/coffee/moolah/DIY work/whatever!
    Haha! Now, just to find one of those people...

Where do YOU live? LOL.
    I would do it for free, but I'm guessing London UK is a bit far
    The weather here is good, lots of things to do, even more than NYC, and the dollar is still quite high
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast